Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zvezda BA-10 (15mm)  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Zvezda BA-10 (15mm)
« on: November 08, 2017, 03:17:42 AM »

This is Zvezda's 1:100 scale (15mm) WWII Soviet BA-10 armoured car.

It's the trickiest of these Zvezda kits I've encountered so far. Not a difficult build, but there are a few things to watch out for:
  • The hull pieces interlock, and it took a bit of judicious bending and stretching to get them all seated properly against each other. Once in place, the fit is good and snug.
  • The headlamps are very small and delicate, and there was no hope of getting their struts into the holes provided for them. I chose to trim them down and just glue them in place, though I could have enlarged the holes (but I couldn't immediately lay my hands on my pin vice to drill them). Both of them shot out of the tweezers, one of them never to be found again.
  • The wheels are not interchangeable, and you do have to take care to get the right group off the sprue at the right time. And now, looking at the picture, I see I put the front wheels on inside-out. Too late to fix that now.
  • The turret is very stiff on the pin provided. I got rid of the pin and magnetized it, so now it turns quite freely.

It builds up into a nice little kit, and now my Soviets have some scouting capability.

As an aside: Vallejo have changed their Yellow Green recipe since the last time I bought a bottle. It's now very much brighter than it used to be. The washes and weathering toned it down a bit, but it gave me a bit of a shock when it first went on.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Zvezda BA-10 (15mm)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
that looks the business. I thought it was 28mm at first.  :o
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
Agree - still looks pretty good. And I'm glad you provide the insights that you do (I also wasn't happy with the turret pins on my Azezda KV-1s).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
BA-10 #2 is done; it went together a lot more smoothly than #1 since I knew more what to expect — I managed to get the front wheels on the right way round, for a start, and both headlamps.

I've painted on some basic markings, mainly so I can tell the two apart on the wargames table, but also because I prefer them a little less plain. No.3 is the first one I did, No.4 is the second.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
Very nice.