Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:41:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silent Butte (FfOL): UD 29/5 a very small game  (Read 29416 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silent Butte: UD 05/01 Water pump, station ramp, telegraph pole question
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:45 AM »
Thanks for your efforts Karsten though unfortunately I don’t think the info is in there.  :'( :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2018, 12:46:39 AM »
Well, go with 18 scale feet away from the track, 24' high poles from ground, and 20' spacing between poles - and don't forget to have the poles leaning slightly away from the track.  That will be 'right enough'.

Or go here and search in greater depth: https://history.army.mil/html/books/030/30-17-1/CMH_Pub_30-17-1.pdf

The US military was the real pioneer of most of the west and I'd guess it led the way in telegraphy.  Government contracts financed a major part of the early development west of the Mississippi (and probably a lot east of it, too).

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »
Also from a quick read of those threads, the "standard" changed as the track changed (curved or straight), terrain changed (flat or hilly) and if it was country or city. It's a balance between building something that will last and the time it takes to build it (digging holes is a pain in the arse).

I think 16 feet tall poles looks about right from the in period illustrations, but I would space them further apart - whatever you feel looks right (I doubt there was a set standard between companies and little to no quality control the on the build - the only limiting factor being the amount of building materials that were supplied to the workers).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:52:44 PM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
The pump on the water tough looks great - too good to be wargames standard, are you sure you're not a railway modelling enthusiast in disguise. ;)

It looks very nice and I'm not going to ask how you did it because it would mean I would have to go back and rebuild my water troughs and I've only recently finished them. :'(

Bye the way what are you going to use for wire between your telegraph poles. ::)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »
Thanks folks.  :)

I’m going for 12cm poles (22’) at 10cm distance (18’). The poles will only be 4.5cm from the track (8’) due to the width of the board.

@15sA
That US Army Signals study is very interesting. Doesn’t answer the pole question but tons of info about the US spread of civilisation. 8)
@vL
Fortunately (for me) I’m not going to use curves.... too much space required  lol

@V
The pump is just a few scrap bits from aircraft models but thank you.  :). J doubt that I’ll be adding wire to the poles but will definitely be having ceramic insulators.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silent Butte: UD 07/01 telegraph poles added & town layout
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2018, 07:07:47 PM »
Telegraph poles are added. Transpired that 20cm apart looks better than 10cm. Some of the poles have a bit too much of a lean and I’ll sort that idc.

The platform and ramp in situ:

I need to make another 60x60 board for the ‘town’ (it’s not actually a town!) layout, with this being what’s aimed for:

I’ve also got three more small buildings to add, though there’s no rush as the key elements are in place:

A town devoid of houses? As alluded to above, it’s not really a town.

A little bit of background to this collection of buildings in the middle of nowhere:

Arizona, 1880: About as far out of civilisation as it is possible to get.

The settlement of Silent Butte is named for a nearby peak that is now home to a silver mine and its encampment of miners.

The peak so dominates the landscape that the Western Apache had long known the surrounding area as ‘kiiya dáhotʼéhe’ (Land Everywhere). They regard the mine as an unwelcome intrusion.

The Hispanic settlement of  ‘Pueblo de la Colina Silenciosa’ (village of the silent hill) had comprised of little more than a cantina that resupplied wagoners taking the trail around the mountain. However, the nearby silver mine and the railroad spur that collects its ore for processing have brought dramatic change: while wagons still pass through on the trail, the settlement is now also a water stop for locomotives and a refreshment and resupply destination for miners.

With change came opportunity and three entrepreneurs now dominate the settlement: the German merchant and storekeeper Herr V. R. Gut, the French hostelier and provider of comforts Madame La Mal, and the British livery stabler and haulier Mister U. G. Lee. These three proprietors are in constant competition for influence and overall control, though they rarely dirty their own hands as various gunslingers, hired hands, bumpkins and wastrels do the enforcing (and dying) for them.

I’d like to make the mine and encampment in due course, and also map the surrounding area.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:58:47 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
Very good Steve. The telegraph poles look excellent. It's really coming together now. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
Very good Steve. The telegraph poles look excellent. It's really coming together now. ;D

I agree with Mama: Looking good!
 :-* :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
Excellent work.  I think the leaning poles add a touch of realism to what would other wise be a boringly straight piece of scenery.  Looking forward to seeing this coming together.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »
There's something to be said about the grave digger's digs being so close to the doctor's place.  Not sure what it is, but there's something to be said.   ::)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
That the doctor has access to fresh organs to examine to be an even better doctor? ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silent Butte: UD 09/01 updated map
« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
 lol. There is a back story. The doctor and the gravedigger are notionally independent citizens but in reality are in the service of ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, the three proprietors vying for control of the town (the German merchant and storekeeper Herr V. R. Gut, the French hostelier and provider of comforts Madame La Mal, and the British livery stabler and haulier Mister U. G. Lee).

The map as it currently stands (obviously I’ll add the extra structures as they are built; I’m also inclined to make 2 60x60 tiles with the traffic routes devoid of grass, simply because it’d look better):

The scale is a little off, which suits to serve to confound anyone who relies on it as a playing guide.  ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silent Butte: Minis for Chinese?
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
As I crack on with painting my thoughts turn to what to make not next (that’ll be the Doctor’s shack, telegraph hut and gravedigger’s tent) but what to make after that.  :)

A laundry seems like a useful addition, which had me pondering a gang of Chinese minis.

I’m quite particular about my mini choices, wanting consistency between the various models. My Old West collection is almost entirely Knuckleduster and Artizan, so the minis need to stylistically & proportionally match those ranges.

I have the three ‘Artizan-like’ Chinese Railroad Labourers from Dracula’s America in mind (I’ll remove the tools):

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=11548

Any suggestions for three more minis, preferably matching Knuckleduster and ideally with pistols and swords?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:15:25 PM by LeadAsbestos »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
Brigade games do a pack of Chinese river pirates in their gangs of New York range. Designed by MikebOwen, so Artizan size and style.
And I believe DeadbMans Hand has a set of Tong figures. coming out.