Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691086
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Inspiration  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: VSF Inspiration
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
While I agree that the Black Dossier was not as good, it had some good moments. Of notable enjoyment was  the LoEG/Jeeves and Wooster/Chuthulu short story.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
It was copyright on some of the characters.

The first two are great but "Black Dossier" is everything that is bad about Moore. I sold my copy the day I bought it.

Shame it's not as good as the first two, then.

Am I the only one that was disappointed with volume 2 then?

I loved the War of the Worlds background, but the talking Rupert the Bear got me and the fact that the League fell apart at the end. I would have liked at least one more adventure before they broke up. :?
Although its not as if they actually do much in the books anyways lol
This new chapter looks interesting at least its a period piece and not that Black Dossier gastliness, but I understand the adventure is a three parter and spans the last 100 years, so we are back off to the 1950's for the next adventure >:(
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
I actually enjoyed the Black Dossier. I did find the broken narrative confusing at times, but it is one of those things that gets better with repeated reads. Possibly Moore tried to cram too much in for it the story to flow as smoothly as in previous volumes. 

The only thing I didn't like about Volume 2 was the way Griffin was killed. I can understand Hyde wanting to make him suffer for betraying the whole world, but bumming him to death?  :o :-X

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about Volume 2 was the way Griffin was killed. I can understand Hyde wanting to make him suffer for betraying the whole world, but bumming him to death?  :o :-X

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Death  by Umbongo lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
Only if Umbongo is a southern slang word for massive mutant manpart. (Oooh, I am an alliterative Bob today!)  lol

Seriously though, we already knew hyde was insanely dangerous. It didn't bring anything to the plot to have him do that. It is suggested (as far as I remember) that he sacrifices himself afterwards to redeem himself in Mina's eyes, but when Nemo discovers what he's done, he doesn't give a crap.

I just found that whole bit a little unnecessary. 

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »
Only if Umbongo is a southern slang word for massive mutant manpart. (Oooh, I am an alliterative Bob today!)  lol

No its a silly schoolboy joke about bum sex. Where the missionary/explorer is captured by some tribesmen and is sentenced to Umbongo or death, He enqiures of the natives what is Umbongo and they tell him its bum fun. He choses death only to find its death by Umbongo.

Its hugely funny when you are twelve,come to think of it, I still find it amusing :D

Umbongo was also a fruit drink that was sold and marketed for children back  in the 1980s(?). I can still remember the advert music ..."Umbongo, Umbongo, they drink it in the Congo... :D

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread and turning it into a discussion about Sodomy lol
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:58:30 PM by Malamute »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »
Ah, a variation on the "Death by Mau Mau" joke made famous by (coinidentally) the League of Gentlemen TV series.  :) I get it now.

And yes, very sorry, carry on as you were. Nothing to see here, certainly nothing fruity and weird.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »

Did you not enjoy the reveal, as they're sat down to dinner and the blood that's everywhere starts to become visible? Or the depths of sadness in Hyde, both when he finds out what Griffin tried to do to Mina and at the very end?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
Yeah, sure, I got all that, I just thought it was a bit heavy handed for Moore and didn't really fit.

I'm sure that there are many people who thought it was entirely appropriate and in keeping with what we knew of Hyde as a character.It's probably my own fear of aggressive spelunking being brought to the fore.  :D

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
Going purely from long term memory retrieval isn't the reason Hyde kills protitutes because Jekyll is represing the fact he's gay? Given the fact that Hyde is entirely amoral, it's not entirely unexpected, extremely unpleasant, but then.... it's Hyde.

Edit: I would like to point out that I in no way endorse aggressive "spelunking"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:20:10 AM by Dewbakuk »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Yeah, that does make sense, and I recall something about that being alluded to as well.

Like I said, it just made me not uncomfortable exactly, but it felt at odds with the rest of the story. Although that was probably the point of it, really. Job done, I suppose.

There, that's sorted, cup of tea anyone?  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
Yeah, that does make sense, and I recall something about that being alluded to as well.

Like I said, it just made me not uncomfortable exactly, but it felt at odds with the rest of the story. Although that was probably the point of it, really. Job done, I suppose.

There, that's sorted, cup of tea anyone?  :)

Shouldn't that be more tea Vicar? ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
And would you like a cream puff with that?

"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »
And would you like a cream puff with that?

Said the actress to the Bishop whilst stirring her tea with her other hand... ;)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
All you ever want to know about LoeG, why the Black Dossier is not Volume 3, and what's coming up in real Vol.3, can be found here:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/League/loeg0008.html

:)