Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 691
Total: 696

Recent

Author Topic: The Mabel Street Mob - Jail Break AAR  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Mabel Street Mob - Jail Break AAR
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »
This link takes you to the main thread for DevLAM, the brain child of Mad Lord Snapcase and a meeting between 3 disparate or should that be desperate wargamers who met on this forum and this was the 1st time we had gamed together.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105082.msg1307434#msg1307434

We agreed to put on individual games, some competitive in name if not nature but my game was always going to be a co-operative one. That way I could always blame someone else for us loosing.
The Mad Lord has already posted his Western game and is a long way down the road to posting his Gothic Horror game, so I need to get my finger out.
Usually my games are solo, quiet and thoughtful affairs, consulting the rules as and when needed, making things up when it's not covered by them. This game was different, it rollocked along, they did mad and bad things and I was left hanging on to their coat tails, forgetting rules, making stuff up on the fly and generally having a whale of a time.
My biggest concern was that the scenario would not work, it would be too easy - too hard - too predictable, these guys set high standards as you will already know. I had tried the scenario once and I will not tell you how it went but I was not filled with confidence.

On to the Briefing. As usual 3 paragraphs where 1 word would do - sorry.

The Mabel Street Mob To The Rescue

When the dust had finally settled following the Police raid on the Tail Feathers saloon http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101122.0 Lian Su Smith started to consider her future. How had the police known they were there, did she have a traitor in the mob, some one who was looking after their own best interests, an informer, a spy, a dead person when she found out who it was.

Things were getting tougher being a mob boss, there was not as much money coming in from the liquor trade, the Chinese were muscling in on the protection racket and making a big dent in the profits from gambling, and it was only a question of time before they hit her liquor business.
They were an issue, but the more immediate problem was Nicole Boursier, shot in the raid on the roadhouse and taken into custody. Lian was fairly certain that to save her own skin Nicole would rat out the mob. There were only 2 safe solutions, spring her from prison or make sure she never opened her mouth in court.
A prison rescue was going to be difficult, but because of her wounds Nicole had been sent to the local hospital under strong police guard and now she was being transferred to Yuma Prison to await trial. There was a short window of opportunity when the New Mexico authorities would hand her over to the Arizona State Troopers. This would take place in a small town on the border, Agua Fria and Nicole was going to be in the local county sheriffs jail for 1 night only. The Arizona Troopers were collecting the prisoner the following day.
This was damn decent of the authorities because by coincidence the Mabel Street Mob were due to make a delivery of their best bootlegged hooch to Blonde Edna’s Saloon and Brothel that same night in Agua Fria.

Lian whilst of Chinese American parents was an ardent student of American history and she was keen to create her own history. She knew of the Coffeyville bank robbery, when the Daltons tried to out do the James brothers by robbing 2 banks at the same time in broad daylight. Maybe she could do the same. The Daltons had failed spectacularly but Lian knew she was a better man than any of the Daltons or even the James boys.
Agua Fria is a small town but it has a Bank and a Wells Fargo office that holds cash, as well as 2 drinking houses, a Gunsmith and Blacksmith and the local County Sheriffs office and Jail.

This was the briefing for the game. Our aim was to deliver the hooch to Blonde Ednas, break Nicole out of jail, and depending on how daring we want to be – rob either the Bank, the Wells Fargo Office or both.

The Mabel Street Mob – from left to right.

Amelia Eckhart - a manly sort of a woman, likes fast cars and airplanes, useless in a fist fight but good with a gun. Usually takes the lead driving position. (Vagabond - V)
Barbara Vasseur - a high class French girl, known as the executioner, you can guess her role in the mob. She can shoot the pips out of an apple with that shotgun. Of course there’s not much left of the apple. (Mad Lord Snapcase - MLS)
Dorothy Cadero - she is the book Keeper for the mob, knows her numbers and can shoot and fight with the best of them. Works directly for Ruth Marrot, rumour has it she would like the top job. (V)
Isobelle Deforest - a French girl through and through, not such a good shot but that’s why she likes German SMG’s, they never let you down. (DougEM4 - D)
Lian Su Smith - of Chinese American parents, she leads the mob but not always from the front, she is certainly the brains of the organisation but is aware that there is competition for her place at the top. Of course no one in this mob is going to usurp her position, not while she is alive. (D)
Loretta Salerno - the newest member of the gang and one of the best drivers. She likes to tote a Thompson and not just for show, she is a deadly shot, not been long in the States, originally from Southern Italy, no one seems quite sure where. (D)
Nicole Boursier - the 2nd in command and the front woman for the gang. She was shot in the raid on the Tail Feathers Roadhouse and arrested. Maybe she does not feel too kindly to Loretta and Patsie who left her to face a long stretch in prison. (V)
Patsie Jones - from Brooklyn – mad as the hat she wears, the meanest of the bunch and twice as nasty. (MLS)
Ruth Marrot - a shadowy figure, she runs the finance side of the operation, a deadly shot with her colt automatic. (MLS)

This is our transport, 2 pick up trucks able to carry 2/3 people and in the back is the Hooch, plus a fast sedan able to carry 4/5 people. We need to decide who will be in which vehicle, who will drive them, the seating arrangement and what order they will proceed down the road.

Our convoy starts on the far side of the board driving down the road towards the town. I had taken 2 Subbuteo cloths to Snapcase Hall but when I saw the Mad Lords mats and his brilliant motor launch I changed the game to incorporate a river get away, rather than driving off the board as originally intended. Besides I find the pitch markings a bit of a distraction. ;)

In the town as we drive in from the left, the 1st building on the left is R Tilney and Son a gunsmiths run by Mike Daniels, a bit of a drunk, then the Arizona Bank run by John and James Watson, then the Sheriffs office and Jail manned by an unknown number of policemen and the last building is the Wells Fargo office and Bank managed by Jack Handsome. Off the main street and behind the Wells Fargo office is the Blacksmiths, our information indicates it is vacant at the moment.
On the right hand side as we drive in the 1st buildings are a couple of vacant sheds, then the Tail Feather Saloon owned by an odd couple Major Henry Maddaford an Englishman and Mary Hoogenveen from Holland and the last building on the ground floor is the Westmoorland Grocery Store and upstairs around the back is Blonde Ednas Saloon and Brothel, we need to make our delivery round the back of this building. Both businesses are run by an old couple Granny and Pops, they will help off load the hooch but will not get involved in any of our other schemes.

The towns inhabitants will probably defend their businesses from our attacks and may help defend other businesses, but then again may just hide and keep out of the way.

More to come

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:27:01 PM by Vagabond »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: The Mabel Street Mob - Jail Break
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »
Beautiful table!  :-*

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
Re: The Mabel Street Mob - Jail Break
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »
Cheers Dave, the classy launch and the beautiful matts are the Mad Lords. I got to play Pulp Alley with 2 experts, well they knew more than me, but then again most people do. Have you seen the game report Snappy is posting on the Gothic Horror board using your rules?

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
Re: The Mabel Street Mob - Jail Break AAR
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »
  The excitement grows! I'm waiting impatiently for what looks to be a stellar game.

TikiCoast

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:04:17 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
I have to say that I was really looking forward to playing this game. Vagabond had sent us the fluff by e-mail beforehand and the set-up looked great on the table. Vagabond even let Doug and myself make brrmmm-brrmmm noises as we moved the cars along!

I had meant to put this CD on the player as we started down the road but in the excitement forgot all about it, but here it is now!

Copperhead Road

Not wanting to put in any spoilers, so I will just say watch out for Babs Vasseur, she is one hell of a gun-toting, feisty moll!

Looking forward to the rest of this adventure. Thanks for a superb game, loved every minute of it.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
That is one classy-looking set-up!  :-* I look forward to the game report.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
The Mabel Street Mob To The Rescue

1st turn and the Mabel Street Mob start the long drive towards Agua Fria, down towards the fireplace that can be seen in the distance. This is just an atmospheric shot to show off the trucks and trees.

Immediately the lead car gets a puncture, this is going to slow things down, note that Isobelle, Ruth and Mad Patsie are changing the tyre. Random dice roll gave 3 turns before being back on the road.

Another moody shot when the next encounter turns out to be an escapee from the local insane asylum. He runs across the road and the driver swerves to avoid him.

And ends up in the hedge. The following cars driver is alert enough to brake before ploughing into the back of the lead car. That would have been game over before it had even started.
I was starting to get worried, have I made this too hard, The Mad Lord and Sir Douglas are going to expect something a bit better.
Roll for damage and there is none, the driver gets the pickup started again. Phew!!!! A relief for me.

All the other encounters on the road into town turn out to be blanks, I am now thinking I have made it too easy, never thought it would be so stressful laying on a game.
The two pickups park up behind Blonde Edna’s. Pops and Granny were waiting for them and they all start unloading the hooch. Notice how Isobelle, Ruth and Patsie seem to have managed to go from the sedan with the puncture to the pickups. This never happens in my solo game, I can only blame one of the others, you know we live in a blame society. I could possibly sue.

Any one easily offended by gratuitous sexual images – please look away now.

Just another moody shot of Ruth’s stockings and suspenders, anyone easily offended don’t look. You probably have to zoom in on the photo.

Here comes the sedan with the rest of the gang, Lian in the form of Doug was driving and he completely threw me by deciding to block the road into town and stop the State Troopers getting to the jail. I had just assumed we would do the business and get out of Dodge, well Agua Fria as soon as possible.
His move actually made a lot of sense, but don’t tell him I said so.

Doing a 5 point turn in the narrow road, they drop Barbara off with the intention of hotwiring the truck and using that to block the road. Lian and Loretta jump out of the sedan so that they can go in through the back door of the jail ( the building on the left) at the same time as the others go through the front.

This is where it started to get complicated. Barbara who was going to hot wire the truck could hear vehicles coming down the road, she threw the right dice and got the truck engine turning over. The Mad Lord who was controlling Barbara or Babs as she became known, started to reverse, his plan apparently was to reverse straight into the lead vehicle, no wonder there are dents all over his Roller.
Lian and Loretta had moved to the back door of the jail, and the rest of the mob were at the front. There was some mad plan to hoot like an owl so that they could enter the building at the same time. Don’t ask!!!

BANG - the big truck hits the little truck, the little truck goes careering off left, Babs holds it together and doesn’t loose control but keeps going.
BANG - Big Andy who was driving the 2nd truck fails to stop or swerve and ploughs straight into the truck Babs is driving. He loses control and there are injured State Troopers all over the place.

Mean while Isobelle toting a German Smg followed by Ruth burst into the jail and open fire. There are bullets going everywhere. The police fire back. There could have been as many as 5 cops in the jail house but a good roll for us meant there were only 2. No one goes down. Lian is struggling to get the back door open, well at least that’s what she said, could be she was leading from behind as usual. Good middle management technique.
I haven’t made much in the way of furniture for the insides of the buildings so we assumed there was a desk that would give the cops a bit of cover.
Isobelle fires 2 or 3 times and misses with each burst but Ruth is a bit of a crack shot and hits Juanita the young female cop in the leg and Big Jim immediately throws his hands up shouting don’t shoot. What a wimp.

About this time Major Maddaford in the Tailfeather Saloon across the road had decided to support the local law enforcers and shoot at the Mob. Big mistake as he was shot to death by one of them but I can’t remember who. This led Mary, who had been hiding, to come out of the saloon firing. She was going to avenge her man. Dorothy waiting in cover behind the police car is a crack shot with her pocket pistol, she was just in range and shot poor Mary down like a dog on the highway.

Not a good photo but is sort of shows what we had all forgotten. Nicole is in the jail behind the cops. Yes the cops that Isobelle has been spraying with bullets, yes and missing all the time, where have the bullets gone?
We decided that on a roll of 1,2,3 or 4 seeing Isobelle coming through the door Nicole knowing what a lousy shot she was would hit the deck and fortunately that’s what happened. The bullets went every where but the desk saved Nicole.

The result of the two collisions, 2 State Troopers down - injured and out of the fight, Big Andy still on his feet and another Trooper hidden by the small van is also active.

The next turn the final truck in the convoy narrowly misses the pile up in front of him, swerves off the road, does not get stuck in the sandy soil and pulls up in front. Babs continued to go backwards and it looks like she has reversed into the Trooper who was behind the van and killed him, but as they say in Congressional Hearings “I have no memory of that event”
Up until that point we had deemed it plausible that the Troopers would just think it was a possible accident, but now it was deliberate and they both rushed towards the cab shouting put your hands where we can see them. So she did – her hands were on the shotgun she held it out of the window and fired at them, missing and running out of ammo. The return fire left her injured, unable to offer resistance when they cuffed her to the wheel.

While the car crashes had been going on Nicole had been released from jail and the 2 cops replaced her in the cell. The next stage of the game is underway. 4 of the gang have gone next door and broken in to the Bank, John and James Watson offered no resistance. Pathetic. It was just going to take a few turns to empty the safe, the money was being transferred into the police car at the front of the sheriffs office.
You can see that the Mad Lord was not going to leave Babs behind and so Isobelle has moved down the road and is hiding behind the green van, and Patsie and Ruth are behind the Mobs sedan. Big Andy is starting to move forward towards the Jail to see what he can do.

Isobelle opens up with her SMG and of course misses, but this is the final straw, shouting “lets get out of here” he takes to his heels, followed a little bit more slowly by his last Trooper.

Quick shot of the bank robbery in progress.

Loading the loot into the police car.

Leaving Isobelle to rescue Babs, Ruth and Patsie come back up the street to rob the Wells Fargo Office. Yes we had decided to try and out do the Daltons, going for 2 banks in broad daylight. Well you knew we would do that didn’t you.

Patsie jumps into the Office, trades shots with Jack Handsome, and ducks back out of the door, the lead from Jacks gun is too hot for her.

This leaves Ruth with a clear shot from the doorway and poor Jack goes down OOF.
There is no one left to interfere with the robbery or the getaway, so they have time to carry out the Mad Lords final scheme. I think it was Doug who said in one post “He is mad you know”

The Mob steal the police car and make their getaway on the Marie Anne that was tied alongside the jetty.

The Cast

The Mob posing with their new ride.

The townsfolk.

The even more out of focus law enforcement.

If you are still here - Thanks for reading.

TikiCoast

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:03:40 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:52:12 AM »

AWESOME table, thanks for the eye candy! I was so fascinated by the pictures that could not follow the story!  ;D

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
T.C. - Pleased you enjoyed it, long winded as usual I'm afraid. I had a game last night where the heroines never got more than 6" in to the table, blood all over the place.

I was so fascinated by the pictures that could not follow the story!  ;D

Grasshopper - You need to focus more  ;).

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »

Grasshopper - You need to focus more  ;).

I'll try again... this time without the sunglasses!  ;)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:59:34 AM »
Most excellent! A beautiful board, some unexpected tactics, and most importantly it looks like fun was had by all!! Mind you I am skeptical about an escape in a deep draft launch from the Arizona/New Mexico border lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
What a fabulous game and report! I wish I'd been there................oh, wait a minute, I was there! 

Told you to watch out for that Babs, tough as old boots. For my money she got the Man of the Match Award. Managed to wreck a three-vehicle State Trooper convoy all on her own, the mad b***h! Disarmed, bleeding and hand-cuffed to the steering wheel of her wrecked lorry, she was still hurling invective at Big Andy Donovan as he contemplated making a stand against Babs' rescuers. One look at Mad Patsie though and he was off, high-tailin' it off into the boondocks.

So, we delivered the hooch, rescued Nicole from prison, robbed two banks, wrecked a State Trooper convoy and then fled with the loot and we stole the Police car too! What a game, thanks Vagabond. It certainly wasn't a push-over though, we had to do some fast thinking and some fancy shooting to get through that lot alive!

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
Very cool game, miniatures and Terrain! I especially love the boat.