Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guy's World War 1 Tank on Channel Four  (Read 987 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Guy's World War 1 Tank on Channel Four
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »

OK, I know it's a little late, but did you see Guy's WW1 Tank on Channel Four last night?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/guy-martins-wwi-tank

I'm sure you can catch it on catch-up.

Tony

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Guy's World War 1 Tank on Channel Four
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
I did.  And I enjoyed it.

When they were making the fake rivet heads, I did think about the way tank builders on LAF make fake rivets.

I did wonder, as JCB had gone to great cost to cut and weld the tank body, quite why they were using a rather old engine and gear box. Perhaps thats the TV show wanting their 'scrap heap challenge' moment.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
I thought it was good and the recollections of the crews and factory workers brought home the human side of the story.

I agree about the scrapheap challenge element of the engine - perhaps I missed what was so essential about using a recovered engine from a digger as opposed to a new engine from a digger...but to be honest it didn't matter.

Worth watching, but if English isn't your first language you might want to put the subtitles on for Guy!! ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
I watched 90% of it(had to put the youngest back to bed.) so this might have been in the bit I missed.
Why did they go to Bovington to see a ww1 tank? They were in Lincoln there's a whole museum full of the farm machinery produced by the Lincoln company who made the tank. Not to mention a mk iv. It's literally a seven minute walk from where they were filming and its free entry.
For me it was a very flawed program I still enjoyed it but Guy seemed to be only slightly more than the presenter. Rather than his usual hands on.

For me the most enjoyable aspects were the sound of the tank.and the size in relation to people. It's something that's often lost in gaming models.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
Doesn't the one in Lincoln have a huge hole cut in it, so the inside is visible?

I was kind of surprised to discover that the Fosters factory had gone. I grew up near Lincoln, and still have family close by, and have driven past the site, noticed the new retail park, but not noticed the factory is gone. How strange ones perception can be.

I think they went down to Bovington to meet the current RTR and have a charge around in a Challenger (as well as seeing the museum).

I thought one of the best bits was when they first fired up the engine - the guy from JCB just looked so happy!!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
Fred.
The regimental museum is at Bovington. The Regiment is on SPTA. Ones Dorset the other Wiltshire.
Sorry I should have explained my self better . I'm old khaki,and commission displays for museums.
I knew about this. So I couldn't decide if the Guy Martin thing was poorly researched idea, or the Regiment 'borrowing' the idea.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
Really enjoyed the programme...quite stirring to see it back on the battlefield...

Online James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I thought it was a terrific piece of enthusiastic telly. Enjoyed the interviews with the tank crews. Also nice to see some WW1 presented on TV focusing on technological innovation.