Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:51:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blister pack scatter terrain - how to make it solid  (Read 1130 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Blister pack scatter terrain - how to make it solid
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
I’ve come across a piece of blister packing that I would love to use as generic scatter terrain but unlike most model covers this one is thin and will collapse with the lightest of movement.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make it more rigid?

The only solution so far i can come up with is to use a little of the gap filling spray foam and pack it with foam block off cuts as I do not want to mess around with plaster (mess being the key here).

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
Re: Blister pack scatter terrain - how to make it solid
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
You could 'paint' the inside with a thick layer of acrylic texture paste - as used by artists - to get a more rigid result whilst keeping the whole thing lightweight.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
My suggestion would be similar to Skyven's, but using 2 part epoxy glue instead of acrylic. Get some 5 minute epoxy, mix it up, and swish it around the inside to form a hard shell.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
buy yourself some poundshop superglue, the kind that comes in little foil tubes.
Pour a few of them inside and leave to dry. that stuff dries into a solid block and doesn't shrink too much.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
I've never had much success with using blisters  :-[

I have/had/will have again when the muse strikes, a long term project to build 6mm science fiction scenery from blister packs. I ended up treating the blister as a mold and filling it with plaster, but it wasn't great.

The problem I always run into with trying to layer something on the inside is that any pressure on the outside will cause it to crack, as getting something to stick reliably to the plastic is difficult (as you're finding).

I haven't tried it, and it would be messy, but maybe something like papier mache rather than expanded foam. This would completely fill the inside of the blister, which should make it more resistant to being leaned on. Maybe add lumps of polystyrene in the mix to use as a filler to keep the weight down (although that will depend on the size of the blister)

Curious to see what others suggest - and may try the texture gel idea myself, as I have a few tubs lying about the place

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
Interested to see what suggestions we get here. I have some thin plastic from a pack of poppadoms which would make an excellent shell for a sci-fi building but I can't work out how to make it sturdier.
John

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
Interested to see what suggestions we get here. I have some thin plastic from a pack of poppadoms which would make an excellent shell for a sci-fi building but I can't work out how to make it sturdier.
John

I know exactly the packet you mean. Round with columns running up the sides?

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
Nic-e
Those are the ones. I'm not sure they would take the weight of what would be a hefty amount of plaster, even with some kind of void.
Sorry to have derailed the original thread slightly, hopefully it close enough to be of use.
John

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
Well that gives me a few ideas to avoid the foam :D

I only wish I could remember what the pack came from as I could then try all the ideas and report back...

When done (a couple of weeks with the way the house move is going) I’ll post the result on http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102951.0 and update this (assuming I remember).

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:53 AM »
I think the expanding foam idea is the best one actually. I have used to make terrain before and what I found is that once the can has been started it doesn't last very long. There is a 2 part epoxy expaning foam resin available such as this (I am sure you can get it cheaper).

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 01:24:38 AM »
I think the expanding foam idea is the best one actually.
I agree.  Easy to use, can be cut off it it over-expands, what's not to love?  Don't bother with foam off-cuts.
Just spray it slowly and let it expand before adding more.

Offline tangarex

• Student
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
Never tend to use foam.
I suggest, like zemjw, use paper mash in such way: tear paper towels to stripes, and glue it inside blister with PVA-glue(never understand americans, is no one but uncle Elmer does not produce it?). You need plenty of layers. Don't spare the glue, let paper soak in it. Press in every new layer with fingers. When you have enough thickness - about 5-7mm, let it dry and you get nice paper shell with interesting texture.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Could you paper mache it INSIDE so when it dries it would be more rigid, but you don't have to risk ruining the sleek outer shell?