Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jungle Board - Isle of Dread - NEW PICS  (Read 11430 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Jungle Board - Isle of Dread - NEW PICS
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »
I've been setting up the boards for the 'X1 - Isle of Dread' game at the end of April. Below are some pics of a basic 2x4 feet Jungle set up with temple that leads up to a mountain pass.

Most of the trees are from Grimm (thanks man); large rocks and columns from Battlefield Architect (a terror bird nest is here); the spider-ridden temple are some aquarium scenics with floor from Dwarven Forge - webs by DF conversion genius Bombanat; incline is a custom build from a nice guy on ebay that I got a few years ago (sorry can't remember his name).

Lots more pics here:
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/pez47/Battle%20Boards/Isle%20of%20Dread/

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:35:52 PM by uti long smile »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Jungle Board - Isle of Dread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
Great looking board...looks like it is going to be a fantastic game. That is a piece to marvel at and actually get lost in during a game!! Great inspiration!! :-*
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
WoW :overy nicely done

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
'X1 - Isle of Dread' game at the end of April

Tell us more  !
are  that for a show game or a club game or what ?

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
Grimm - sadly neither, it's just for a group of three old friends who have been playing various games for 20+ years. We are now getting to an age where we are getting nostalgic for old D&D, so we've been playing some old Basic scenarios.

Isle of Dread (X1) is something we've never played, so I'm running that (based on a superior revised version in 2006 published in Dungeon magazine) on 25th April. Hopefully they're not reading this (!) so without giving too much away, the set up is:

Act One - Escape from Pirate Cove. The PCs start being broke out of cells in the basement of a Pirate fort and have to find a way out - see my other Pirate Cove posts.

Act Two - All at Sea. The PCs become trapped in a giant sargasso (weed) and have to find the sinister source of the plants to free their ship. First an external set up amongst the weeds and then a small cavern section using Dwarven Forge caverns. I'll get some pics sorted for this soon, but here's my first set up:

More pics here:
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/pez47/Battle%20Boards/Isle%20of%20Dread/Sargasso/

Act Three - Shipwrecked. The PCs wash up on the shores of the Isle of Dread and have to make their way through the dense jungle battling against dinosaurs, giant spiders and a nest of Terror Birds en route to a mountain pass... Part of this act is in the pictures above, but there is a beach board before this one with a wrecked ship and more jungle - no pics yet.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:11:51 PM by uti long smile »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Yippeee, Isle of Dread! I loved that one. Oh, the fond memories of my youth...
Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

This is a nice table you built.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:05 PM »
old D&D ???!! :-*
that is the thing that make me painting figures all stard with D&D (remember the red box !!) .
I love it.

have fun

cheers Grimm

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
Incorporating the Dwarven Forge terrain elements into the board is a great idea!  The overall effect looks fantastic.

I remember that D&D module - it had pirates and a T-Rex on the cover, I think.  And a wereboar as one of the main villains, right?  I don't often get that sense of ... "Ww!  This is cool!" that I used to get from reading those old adventures.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:22:40 PM by Alxbates »

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Thats some really fantastic looking terrain there! I really like the aquarium bits (I may have to have a peruse of my local petsop and ebay to see what I can get hold of!)

The trees are great too! How did you make the big one?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »
leutenantbrittan - The bigger trees are all made by Grimm. I got the largest one just last week as a swap for a Copplestone elephant Grimm was after - I'm delighted with it!!

Grimm - yep the red box has been dusted off.

Alxbates - The original is great and I have that, but I'm sacrilegiously playing a 2006 rewrite from Dungeon magazine - their Savage Tide series (Google it and you should find a free possibly illegal PDF downloads) :-X. It's inspired by the original (and identical in some places) so you'll recognise many of the elements, but it has a better linking story throughout. This appeals as my group will be playing over a year, as my friends can only get together every three months, so something with a beginning, middle and an end is easier to plan for although the random, endless explore is equally valid!!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
Alright - I've googled it a bit.  This is the one I remember having as a teen:

But apparently there was another released even earlier than that one:

Haven't seen that one.  What are the differences between the first and second ones?

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
That really is a totally awesome board!

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MA-ZING!!!! board!!!!!  :-* :-* :o :o

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »
Thanks all!!

Alxbates - I don't think there are any major differences in content between the two versions, but I know that I got the later orange cover version as part of the Expert Box set (Blue Box), so I think it's just a re-release (but I could be wrong). However I got the lot second hand from a friend in the 80s, so not sure if it was originally bundled with it.

Here is a link to the 2006 version in Dungeon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Tide

I've only lifted certain bits from this later version as it is a bit too 3.5 demon-centric for my liking, so I've tried to drag the rules and opponents back to be more sympathetic with Basic and Expert rules.

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
the blue Version was bundled with the original expert boxed set  - Blue Box that was the complement to the Red Box that had Keep on the Borderlands.

They both are very fun places for me to remember. I actually have the original Red and Blue Rulebooks in my night table and when I'm feeling nostalgic, they are a great read and a great simple system. How the rules got to 1000's of pages is just beyond me.

It always seemed to be about great adventures not great big piles of rules.