Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alien Greys  (Read 6858 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Alien Greys
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
these are cracking!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 05:23:35 PM »
Brilliant stuff Paul !! always reminds me of the PC game "X-COM" where you had a squad of troopers/marines men and women,who were protecting the earth from alien invaders.
It was a tactical game,where the player had to equip each character and then send to where the ufo had been bought down.It was a turn based game,the early games had very blocky graphics,but the sense of tension was stunning.You could hear the little aliens moving around,then when it was there turn a single shot would ring out,and a man would fall.
What was great about the game,you could recover alien weapons.equipment and have scientists research it,then turn it on the alien,brilliant !!
I've had an X-COM type game in mind for some time, with no specific timescale to put it together.

I've already painted a bunch of Copplestone Future Wars Troopers for use as X-COM forces.  I won't go for a wide variety of weapon types (as in the original game), just a mix of small-arms, combat shotguns, support weapons and snipers. 

I'm gradually acquiring a variety of miniatures to use as the aliens forces.  So far I have:
Copplestones Hunter Aliens (with Ainsty Inaps as shielded versions)
Copplestone Biomechanical Alien (Actually been painting it today!)
Copplestone Greys (for conversion to an Alien medical examination/abduction team).
Griffin Greys.
Black Scorpion Aliens (Leader & armed versions)
I will likely add more over time.....

I have a GZG small flying saucer, may buy the Pegasus saucer & intend to scratch-build a big saucer.

For civilains I can use my Geezers civvies.  A bit out of place in some situations, but an easy solution.

Terrain-wise I will keep the games Earth-based. 
I can already do Temperate, Desert, Jungle & Urban (well 1970's London  :D)environments already.  The only one I'd look to add is an Arctic/Antarctic setting, which will likely be a white cloth with ice formations etc added (Ice Station Zebra?)

Rules-wise I have various ideas, but nothing concrete written as yet.  The game would likely have players as X-COM squads with the umpire(s) controlling the aliens.  This allows for some of the hidden movement & suspense of the original game.  The eventual intention would be to run it as a mini-campaign with players able to capture/research Alien technology to aid their cause in future missions.
 8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »
 :-*

Nice project!

I especially like how the two psychic Greys in their hover chairs came out!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »
Scenery next...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »
As always great stuff.
Great inspiration you now have me thinking how I would fit Greys into my pulp setting.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Brilliant stuff Paul !! always reminds me of the PC game "X-COM" where you had a squad of troopers/marines men and women,who were protecting the earth from alien invaders.
It was a tactical game,where the player had to equip each character and then send to where the ufo had been bought down.It was a turn based game,the early games had very blocky graphics,but the sense of tension was stunning.You could hear the little aliens moving around,then when it was there turn a single shot would ring out,and a man would fall.
What was great about the game,you could recover alien weapons.equipment and have scientists research it,then turn it on the alien,brilliant !!
I've had an X-COM type game in mind for some time, with no specific timescale to put it together.

I've already painted a bunch of Copplestone Future Wars Troopers for use as X-COM forces.  I won't go for a wide variety of weapon types (as in the original game), just a mix of small-arms, combat shotguns, support weapons and snipers. 

I'm gradually acquiring a variety of miniatures to use as the aliens forces.  So far I have:
Copplestones Hunter Aliens (with Ainsty Inaps as shielded versions)
Copplestone Biomechanical Alien (Actually been painting it today!)
Copplestone Greys (for conversion to an Alien medical examination/abduction team).
Griffin Greys.
Black Scorpion Aliens (Leader & armed versions)
I will likely add more over time.....

I have a GZG small flying saucer, may buy the Pegasus saucer & intend to scratch-build a big saucer.

For civilains I can use my Geezers civvies.  A bit out of place in some situations, but an easy solution.

Terrain-wise I will keep the games Earth-based. 
I can already do Temperate, Desert, Jungle & Urban (well 1970's London  :D)environments already.  The only one I'd look to add is an Arctic/Antarctic setting, which will likely be a white cloth with ice formations etc added (Ice Station Zebra?)

Rules-wise I have various ideas, but nothing concrete written as yet.  The game would likely have players as X-COM squads with the umpire(s) controlling the aliens.  This allows for some of the hidden movement & suspense of the original game.  The eventual intention would be to run it as a mini-campaign with players able to capture/research Alien technology to aid their cause in future missions.
 8)

I was thinking of doing some thing simmialer, but I am useing my Tag moderns as the X-com/local militarys. I will be useing some of my tau from my defunct 40k army untel, I can get some grays, and other alien types.
I will also do some conversons with the Tag guys kit to make alien tech for them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 01:36:18 PM »
As usual, damn fine work Paul. I really wish Griffin would get off their duff and release these again. I've been wanting a set for two years now, but have had some reservations about dealing with Griffin since I've read negative press both here and at TMP. Oh well... I guess I have other projects to keep me busy whilst I await the miracle.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

-Todd