Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for quick recommendations  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Looking for quick recommendations
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:48 AM »
I find that I actually get opinions worth hearing here on the LAF, so I'll ask this question - if I were to start a WW2 German force, and keeping in mind that I really like the Pulp Figure style, so I will want them to mix well with my Zeppelin Trupen as well as being good for WW2 stuff, what lines would you recommend? I like the coalskuttle helmets about the best, but since I am brand spanking new to the genre, I am not even sure yet if those were used in WW1 or WW2...

Neil
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Looking for quick recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

Black Tree Design do the nicest early war Germans in my opinion (see above), they also do one of the worst mail order services in the world so small orders are best. Most of their figures were sculpted by (Mike?) Collier and are the excellent ones, later additions were not and are dire but also easy to spot in the pictures. Their vehicles are universally horrible.
http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat.php?ctry=uk&lng=gb&rangenum=7&typenum=52&qty=0&sub=&shp=&tot=

After BTD both Bolt Action Miniatures and Foundry do excellent figures. The Foundry Germans are Perry sculpts and slightly smaller than BTD (the two machine gun crews above are Foundry, the infantry are BTD) but will be a good match for Pulp Figures none-the-less, The range is small and the postage is prohibitive (usually).
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/WW2/index.asp

Bolt Action Miniatures are just all round brilliant and their vehicles are fantastic. On second thoughts, ignore my earlier recommendations and just buy these, good figures, good service, good bloke (although recently acquired by Warlord games it's unlikely that the service will have dropped in standard)
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/german-army-heer-127-c.asp

I notice that Bolt Action don't do many Germans in jack boots which is probably what you want for early war and a general Pulpy feel. Therefore you might want to look at Crusader Miniatures who do enough jack boots for anyone.
http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=9&sub=24&page=1

...or Artizan Designs
http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?cat=102&sub=159&page=1

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
Matakishi,

You sir, are a wonder. A gentleman and a scholar. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Sinewgrab

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Sinewgrab, the coalscuttle helmet as you call it (it's a Stahlhelm!) have been in use from 1916 onwards. The WW1 and WW2 designs had some minor differences, but nothing to worry about in a pulp setting. In general you can use most pre-WW2-stuff in WW2 settings as the germans issued everything with a trigger to their units. German Front line units got the modern equipment, transport units, Luftwaffe, Police Units, Volkssturm and allies got the older or booty equipment. So if you plan to do WW2 not as front battles but with scenarios like 'where eagles dare' or 'dirty dozen' in mind, you can easily use earlier minis for WW2 germans. There are differences in uniform and webbing, but most people wouldn't notice this.

When buying real WW2 germans for use in pre-war settings avoid assault rifles (StG 43/44), MG 42 (MG34 is OK) and Panzerschrecks. The number in the name tells you why - it's the year of (planned) issue.

Matakishi, should it be Nick Collier?
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
Yep, Nick Collier, I'm rubbish with names :(

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
Don't forget the MP 40 which was introduced in late 1939 at the earliest. However, in any warmovie or pulp story everybody seems to have one. Those where mainly given to the NCO's and some special troops (like paratroopers, even though the majority still carried the K98k rifle).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
Don't forget the MP 40 which was introduced in late 1939 at the earliest. However, in any warmovie or pulp story everybody seems to have one. Those where mainly given to the NCO's and some special troops (like paratroopers, even though the majority still carried the K98k rifle).

Perhaps because they were MP38s? ;)
The MP40 was the second (more cheaply fabricated) model.

However,  I agree that MP18/MP28s look much more intimidating IMHO and very 'Pulpy'
BTW one of the most accurate SMGs I ever had the pleasure to handle.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »
I have to admit, since the American dollar has gained a bit of strength, I am really tempted by the army deal from Crusader. How is their service, and do they stand up to Pulp Figures as far as size and style? Anyone have both they can take a quick pic of and satisfy my curiousity before I drop a quick $50 or so on 'em? The pictures look good, but that doesn't always translate.

And what the hell is a Panzershreck?

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »
And what the hell is a Panzershreck?

The German version of a bazooka (tank terror or something like that)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388