Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Low Odour liquid plastic glue?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
Low Odour liquid plastic glue?
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »
Hi all,
I'm looking to replace my toxic smelling Revel Contacta Professional Polystyrene Cement so that I can actually build things in my house in the winter with other people present. I have found the following and wondered if anybody had any experience using either?

Tamiya, Limonene Cement

Deluxe Materials, Roket Plastic Glue

Thanks

Tony.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Low Odour liquid plastic glue?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
Unfortunately, the active ingredient is always MEK (Methy Ethyl Ketone) and this is smelly.

All brands are basically the same.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
Unfortunately, the active ingredient is always MEK (Methy Ethyl Ketone) and this is smelly.

All brands are basically the same.

I might be wrong here, but IIRC Tamiya Limonene literally uses lemon acid to perform the job. It sounded improbable the first time I heard it, so take it with a grain of salt, but it might be the solution.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
I might be wrong here, but IIRC Tamiya Limonene literally uses lemon acid to perform the job. It sounded improbable the first time I heard it, so take it with a grain of salt, but it might be the solution.

This is what I have also heard. The active ingredient is citric acid and is therefore basically non toxic

Online westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Reading this I had a WTF? moment and a quick google came up with this review: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5877

If I've read the article right, I think it is 'normal' glue with added Limonene to make the odour less apparent?

This thread here too, so I may be wrong? http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=91516.0
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:08:03 PM by westwaller »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
Reading this I had a WTF? moment and a quick google came up with this review: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5877

If I've read the article right, I think it is 'normal' glue with added Limonene to make the odour less apparent?

This thread here too, so I may be wrong? http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=91516.0

I am wrong, it is not the citric acid which can dissolve polustyrene, it's *limonene oil* which is a different compound. I know there are commercial products which smells like orange peel and that is not because it should smell pleasant.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:13:57 PM by Hammers »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
IIRC, from back in the day (decades ago), the low odor stuff doesn't last.

It works for a while, but only the smelly stuff really does the job, and works over the long haul.

Perhaps the newer variants work better, but I doubt it.

Get a room fan, or work near an open window.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »
My experience is similar to Mako's. The non-toxic solvents sort-of work, but produce a weak bond that can't tolerate much stress without cracking. And like Mako, it's been a long time since I tried them, so take that with a grain of salt for whatever's on the market these days.

FYI not all the good ol' toxic stuff is MEK based. Some of it is dichloromethane based. Dichloromethane is less toxic than MEK, but more volatile, so it sort of evens out, vapor-wise.

IMO the best thing to do is use a liquid instead of a goop, and keep the lid on the bottle between applications. Tube goop slow releases it's vapors, so once applied to the model it'll keep stinking up the room for an hour or more. Liquids flash off more or less instantly, so it's just a whiff and gone. Keep the cap on the bottle. Don't leave it open on the bench while you work. Open the bottle only when you're immediately ready to glue something, and close it the moment that join is in place. Think of it like trigger discipline for glue.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.