Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686439
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stackable terrain pieces  (Read 2057 times)

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Stackable terrain pieces
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
I would be very interested to see a picture of how you stack them because this seems to me to be the true genius of these pieces. Good looking and space saving, what's not to like.

I want to satisfy public demand and show the possibility to stack simple terrain pieces that I made for Frostgrave. However I think it is better to show it on this board.
There are several ruins made of pink insulating foam from the DIY store. They were cut with a (sharp!) knife. The layers were glued with white glue and the stone pattern was made with a ball pen. A basic paint with black acrylics was highlighted with two increasingly lighter shades of grey and a final very light grey drybrush.
You can find the single pieces here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105546.0#lastPost

This is how the Tower of Power is assembled:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Stackable terrain pieces
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
Brilliant!
 8) 8)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
Brilliant!
 8) 8)
Seconded ! (Though thanks to the name of the piece I now have Frank Zappa's 'Bobby Brown goes down' stuck in my head...)
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
(Though thanks to the name of the piece I now have Frank Zappa's 'Bobby Brown goes down' stuck in my head...)

I doubt that a wizard will make it an hour on top of that...  lol

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
What a great idea. Like one of those wooden puzzles.....

Tony

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Good God man - how on earth did you design that in the 1st place.  :o :o

I sort of thought that your interlocking process would be simple, not a 3 dimensional puzzle, this is amazing. Do you do cad design for a job?

I thought I might be able to replicate what is a very good idea, but I don't really see how.  o_o o_o

Thanks for the link to the rules and game report, appreciate that, you don't mind if I use them do you. :)

Cheers

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
I sort of thought that your interlocking process would be simple, not a 3 dimensional puzzle, this is amazing. Do you do cad design for a job? I thought I might be able to replicate what is a very good idea, but I don't really see how.  
It is far simpler than you might imagine. I cut the first piece (that angular wall in the first photo) which is the simplest of them all. The remains that were left over made the first layer of the second piece. I added a second layer (the stairs) to make it look more interesting. Then I thought it might be a good idea to stick with the square 10" design and stack the next pieces on top. I just held the next 10" square foam over the top of the finished first pieces to see where I have to cut to have the stairs interlocking - and so on...
I don't do CAD by the way...
Thanks for the link to the rules and game report, appreciate that, you don't mind if I use them do you. :)
You're welcome - please use the rules extensively, tweak them, adapt them, have fun with them and PLEASE don't forget to take pictures and write an entertaining report!  :D