Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Necromunda- new vs. old rules?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Necromunda- new vs. old rules?
« on: December 10, 2017, 03:22:32 AM »
Anyone play the new rules that can compare them to the old rules?  maybe fill us in on the differences?

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
Re: Necromunda- new vs. old rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
I was about to post the same question. We played Shadow War Armageddon yesterday which reminded me how much I like the old Necromunda rules.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »
Gamevise.
Most important difference is turn sequence.
New game is activation based - not IGOUGO like original game.
Each model have 2 actions when activated and can chose what to do. SOme action can be don twice in a turn (like walk), some cost two action points to do - like charge, and some can be taken only once (attacking in cc or shooting - unless you have certain skill)
Mechanics are quite similar but base engine is new edition 40k in place of 2 edintion of old game.

In detail:
Overwatch is nowa a skill, to hide you have to pin yourself and pining dont miss you whole turn (activation) but only one action, so you can unpin and shoot and unpin and walk but not unpin and charge or unpin and shot unwieldy (old move or fire) weapon.

Campaign is much more different.
All models score Xp. But Plain gangers use simplified advancement (simmilar to advancement of the old game)
While Leaders, champions (new type of the ganger taking place of heavy) and juves buy advancements paying with xp, each stat or skill is priced differently. You pay 3 for something rarely used nad rolled on 2d6 and 4 times as much for thing like T or W. Additionally each advance bought make next ones more pricey.
There are more skill tables, and each gang has Primary and secondary skills.
When you are buying primary skill you can chose the skill (more expensive) or roll random (cheaper)
When you are buying secondary (or any skill - from the tables outside of your set) you may much more and generate one at random.

Campaign income works totally different. Hard to seay how it will compare (I am yet to play campaign)

Dying is much rarer (id you have money for medics) and advancing will be slower.

There are many small changes..

Whet would you what to know?

PS: IMHO new game is superior in almost every aspect to the old games.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
PS: IMHO new game is superior in almost every aspect to the old games.

==================

Hmmm. Really?  I really enjoyed the old Necromunda and like Shadow Wars- so maybe I'll give it another look.  Ive been put off by costs, since I dont want Escher, so its not such a great value for me.

Thanks.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
I played old game to death. But turn sequence and improved campaign are just so much fun.
(Ive been using model activation in Necromunda for some years now and game is much more interesting.

Considering cost remember you need Gang War for full rules of the game (skills and campaign and scenarios for non tiles play).
And the uncool method of releasing rest of the gangs.
But apart from that is worth the money.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »
If you're put off by costs, you can try ebay or one of the bits resellers who are breaking it up.

In general I'd agree that it's a much nicer ruleset than old necro (which was fine in itself anyway, so this is high praise) but there are several caveats:

• (ymmv) sustained fire/jamming dice may not be too everyone's tastes
  • (major) they've split the Ld back to the old RT characteristics but basically cool is the only one ever used and willpower almost literally never matters - the balance and logic behind these is unfathomable
  • (minor) the layout of the rulebook and gang war are a mess, finding stuff is annoying
  • (major) loads of stuff appears to be missing - and I don't mean the weapons profiles somehow absent from the supposedly comprehensive list, I mean like whole weapon options - no heavy stubber, no heavy bolter, no flamer at all, and e.g. goliaths have a choice of only two basic firearms and two pistols (one of which is the combi-plasma). I guess they will proably expand on this in a later book but it goes to feeling like half a game.
  • (major) the editing is awful - toxin as written simply must be wrong (it's always worse than not having it) and the points and profiles between the core rules and gang war are completely different which is inexcusable to me given they were released on the same weekend
  • (ymmv) you have to wait a full year before all the house gangs are released, and they'll prbably be squeezing you for several more gang war books in that time too - it seems to me this above all else will kill this for gaming groups and it's a naked cash grab

Underneath all those is actually a damned fine ruleset, but I do think it's gonna struggle to get any traction like this.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:32:59 PM »
I agree with the points Wait What raises.

I would add though that the last time gangs were available from GW direct, they were £25 for on average around 8 miniatures. This time round the price is the same and you get 10 models in plastic with build options. So if you go through online discounters etc it will be cheaper. And as Wait What says, you can find sellers that break up the starter set.

I believe that the points differences have been explained via the interviews on Warhammer TV, and supposedly is deliberate. I haven't got around to watching that myself yet, so can't confirm it.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 12:38:04 AM »
I played old game to death. But turn sequence and improved campaign are just so much fun.
(Ive been using model activation in Necromunda for some years now and game is much more interesting.

Considering cost remember you need Gang War for full rules of the game (skills and campaign and scenarios for non tiles play).
And the uncool method of releasing rest of the gangs.
But apart from that is worth the money.

Yes, ive heard people say it "does not feel like a complete game". The GW money grab of putting the rest of the rules in Gang War. And whats with the cards?
Is the main rulebook not available seperately? They tried that with Shadow war.....

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
Most important difference is turn sequence.
New game is activation based - not IGOUGO like original game.
This was by far the biggest surprise to me. However I've only heard about it second hand so I'm still not quite sure if it now plays like Warzone (without the squad concept presumably) or like Infinity. I'm assuming the former but people have different mileages when talking about IGOUGO.

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
I'll play an ash wastes campaign with the old rules and if they release redemptionists one with the new rules in tunnels

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
This was by far the biggest surprise to me. However I've only heard about it second hand so I'm still not quite sure if it now plays like Warzone (without the squad concept presumably) or like Infinity. I'm assuming the former but people have different mileages when talking about IGOUGO.

Basically its
Roll for p[riority.
 - who rolls higher has priority, If its 1st turn reroll ties if not first turn, player that did not had priority last turn wins.
ANd then starting from guy with priority you activate model and do 2 actions with it. Then sequence goes to your opponent, and so on.

But
Your leader and champions when activating can order 1 or 2 models to activate at the same time (like Frostrgrave).

waitwhat
I agree on editing
But  spliting stats is Ok to me. It is a bite redundand. Will is meant for psychic powers which I doubt be a major thing anyway..

But my worst against N i CUtting. It like some mad killer sliced the whole game.

And there are visible artifact of this.
I am not talking about heavy weapons... but Bolt pistol and sawn off shotgun. Have stats but no way for acquiring them at all :)

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »
Bolt pistol and sawn off shotgun. Have stats but no way for acquiring them at all :)

Exactly. And the book is full of stuff like that. The start of game phase #1 is "spend XP and buy hired guns (in a future book)" - why even mention it now then? And why the hell am I waiting until the next game to spend XP? Nobody is gonna do that, they want the reward now. Makes. No. Sense.

The more I think about it the more it annoys me. Give it a year, buy the compendium - if the game is still going it'll be awesome by then, and if not... well the games market is a big place, and half a game will not be missed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:03:59 AM by waitwhat »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
Yeah, that is nuts.

Some of the weapons will not be available to different factions, some will be cheaper to some factions compared to others. But as you say, it looks really untidy right now.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
The more I think about it the more it annoys me. Give it a year, buy the compendium - if the game is still going it'll be awesome by then, and if not... well the games market is a big place, and half a game will not be missed.
This.

In the meantime, I'll be looking at the Yaktribe Necromunda Community Edition & Inquisimunda.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Are there still skills like Step back and Dodge, Gunfighter?
Do you collect money for buying equipment and hiring more gang members?
Like the old rules.

The more I learn about this new set where they are nickel & diming every little thing, the more I'm thinking about playing the old rules.

Half the rules, buying cards, need Gang Wars for scenarios. ...meh.