Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2022, 07:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 9842
  • Latest: Rossco2
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1606162
  • Total Topics: 112414
  • Online Today: 368
  • Online Ever: 1675
  • (December 28, 2020, 04:48:59 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Olsson's Fantasy Miniatures  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Re: Olsson's Fantasy Miniatures
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
Nice!

Really like those Bronze Age Trolls.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2022, 06:29:37 PM »
After another hiatus from the hobby, I have returned by one road or another to the world of miniature painting and gaming in time for another summer to reach its end. The return of the Horus Heresy gained some of my attention, but a friend and I recently came to play our second game of Saga after I near a year of putting it off for this and that reason.

Oncemore the Saxons were to defend against the menance of the vikings, this time in a game which had us control objectives which were worth varies points decided and concealed by the opponent. But I will be honest and say we both promptly forgot which objective we had given which values and it became more of a learning game as we charged into each other's shieldwalls. I was quite happy with how much I had retained of the rules, and a good time was had all around.

The vikings were soundly beaten, a truly fateful clash in the middle as my force of 8 Hearthguard charged 10 warriors, and slew two while losing six of their own. The dice were not with me in that skirmish. And in the wake of that, all things fell apart. But quite telling for the game was the fact I had a great time despite this rebuttal of my viking horde.

A few photos of that clash here.

Beyond this I recently also invested in a lightbox for my miniature photography, my understanding of cameras remains at the level of a neanderthal but the lesson that good light is key has managed to worm its way into my head. Today I played around with it for a bit and while I am sure the mysteries of camera settings will continue to elude me for awhile, I do think it made for some good photograhs. My Fellowship (which has wallowed with a half painted Boromir for two years now I am shameful to admit) were first to get the new treatment.

Then a go at my most recent painted fantastical miniature, both moody and shadowy and something more clear which is quite revealing! In both the good and the bad.

Next in line for me shall be another force for Saga, this time Ango-Danes. But with another eye on the horizon for a more fantastical host.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:32:29 PM by Olsson »

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
Hey mate, I had no idea you had a bigger battles thread! This is awesome work. The new lightbox will show off your minis to great effect, you've got the perfect grimdark style for it.

Really nice to see you enjoying Saga as well. Vikings vs Anglo-Saxons is a pretty tough matchup for the Vikings, so props for giving the Saxon player a good fight. You'll definitely find Anglo-Danes have more tricks up their sleeves ("Intimidation" is particularly fun).

Keen to see more of your forays into bigger battles. Keep the pics coming, they're always an inspiration!

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2022, 07:27:32 PM »
I got my Ango-Danes from Victrix today, together with the shield transfers so that project is a-go!

Thanks Tyr, you're always too kind.

I do suspect I will find great pleasure in using Intimidation, the Fatigue manipulation was a big part of me choosing them.

A few close ups of some Vikings today as I took a few home with me from the local gaming club when I fetched back my hobby box.

The force was initially intended to be played in 9th Age as an army of Åsklanders. But any force where each unit need be +30 men strong I have come to suspect is one that is beyond me, but that is why they are based up on square bases. Something I have come to regret a bit now (a feeling I know that you are familiar with Tyr!) which was also part of my reasoning to start a second force.

I am pretty happy with the basing on my vikings, and I am contemplating simply keeping that same scheme now. But for a more fantastical force in the future, I know I will be wanting a dark forest theme for the base so I may see this as a trial run to that effect. I have never been one that spends much time on basing, so that shall be an adventure in of itself. If anyone has any tips or tricks for a sort of dark germanic forest base I am all ears to hear it.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »
Another battle between Viking and Saxon upon the British Isles, and as has become tradition in games of Saga here the vikings were vanquished by the fierce Saxons. Only two norse men were alive by the end of it all. A dark day for the gods.

Offline Lord Maedhros

• Lurker
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2022, 02:59:17 PM »
That fantasy archer looks amazing! May I ask where you got that miniature?

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2022, 03:41:40 PM »
Love it. Those custom fatigue markers are a nice touch as well.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
Much to love in this thread! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/