Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC US Airborne vs SS Panzer Grenadiers  (Read 1823 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
CoC US Airborne vs SS Panzer Grenadiers
« on: December 15, 2017, 04:44:50 AM »
After our last game using US Airborne, where they appeared unstoppable we decided to see how they would handle an attack from some tougher opponents – SS Panzer Grenadiers. It took us a while to work out how to deal with panzer grenadiers, would the panzer grenadiers help us find a way to deal with the Airborne?

More pictures and a full AAR on my blog https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/chain-of-command-us-airborne-vs-panzer.html

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC US Airborne vs SS Panzer Grenadiers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
Nice clear AAR.  I am a bit surprised the US rush across the field was so successful, it was very risky IMO. It's the sort of thing I usually do and get wiped out so have learned not to do! I would have sent the Para squad further over at the other side of the field and tried to invest some troops in that intervening farmhouse, as it would have been big trouble if you had got some Panzer grenadiers with an MG in there.
I agree with your thoughts about your own tactics, you should have kept the bulk of your platoon for the flanking move, and started that as soon as you first came under fire; but I know it's difficult once you have lost the initiative.
Lovely terrain by the way. 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:16:45 AM »
The move surprised me too, but he took advantage of the fact I was pinned down and from the corner of the field I wasn’t able to bring a lot of return fire to bear.  He arrived using marching fire, so started inflicting pain immediately and as they were elite I was only hitting on 5 and 6, while he was hitting on 4,5 and 6.  It was aggressive, but he did it at the right time with the right quality troops.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
Vodkafan. Don't forget my Russians (& their village) are still waiting a visit from your Fascist Scum.
Over the Christmas break I might even add to it from my stockpile of Charlie Foxtrot MDF.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Vodkafan. Don't forget my Russians (& their village) are still waiting a visit from your Fascist Scum.
Over the Christmas break I might even add to it from my stockpile of Charlie Foxtrot MDF.

Unfortunately my Fascist Scum are still in unclothed bare metal.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
Great example of fire and movement tactics....achieve fire superiority then maneuvre aggressively! Major Winters would be proud!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »
My opponent Dave has quickly grasped the value of marching fire and used it to very good effect. It makes those US squads very tough and a force that can be used very aggressively, even on the defensive.  And yes, very reminiscent of a scene from Band of Brothers.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »
My opponent Dave has quickly grasped the value of marching fire and used it to very good effect. It makes those US squads very tough and a force that can be used very aggressively, even on the defensive.  And yes, very reminiscent of a scene from Band of Brothers.

My opponent (another David) learned the hard way that panzergrenadiers are tough opponents putting out a lot of firepower that needs suppressing if any movement is attempted by his Armoured Infantry.