Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's Lost Worlds - or the Year of Board (2018?) PIC HEAVY  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's Lost Worlds - or the Year of Board (2018?) PIC HEAVY
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
Typically for me, I am working on more than one project at a time; and I regularly need motivation - terrain is usually the best medicine for that.
So here are the projects I started this year and which will eat up my modelling time in 2018, the Year of Board - hopefully.

Here's one I've shown in another thread Mother Hydra.
This is now Mother Hydra Sector 1, and is based on a plastic pallet - still tonnes of work to do.

Here is Sector 2 - this is the reverse of a 2' x 2' (or just about) aquarium backdrop - the obverse comes later!
This will be patterned in green and white tiles, and modelling the board are some of the crew, with the sliding grabber which will cross two sections (I have 4) and the docking port which will eventually be part of Sector 1 seen above.

A close up of the Sector 1 docking port in progress:

And this is Corridor 1, also on Mother Hydra but with alien potential....

Speaking of aquarium backing - here is the obverse.

He couldn't resist a portrait photo.

Something unusual for me - Dreadball - I am mimicking the paper Dreadball court.

This isn't actually the surface, but two elements of scenery. Beneath these will be a roll out marsh surface, with stuff including ancient Chinese buildings (Jimbibbly's) all the way to sci fi.

Largest of all single pieces, c. 1m x 0.8m, a board built from discarded architects' models. There will be two of these joining together, the other one is less challenging to build but possibly more fun to use.

The figures are Ro-Jaws and a couple of new mates:

This is one I haven't figured how best to use, it's a set of 6 2' x 2' boards with cobbles and paved roads from a KS which had taken a while to deliver but was well worth the wait. There may be a castle...

I have 8 of these 1' x 1' lasercut boards, nice and lightweight and sturdy enough. So far 4 are assembled (and I can't find two of the unassembled ones!). These two are the more open ones. Those channels have a scope. Here you can see Ti-6Al-4V man (that's a titanium alloy, I studied materials... ;D ) charging a rather large robot.

I designed the stuff on these to allow them to stack. I love that DeLorean, a toy with very little touching up needed.

And last but not least, a fun sort of project slightly larger than 2' x 2', a soft felt-covered box which is a bit too bright a shade of green for anything serious, but this small oriental board with aquarium scenery and Matakashi boulders is probably closest to completion, although lots of paint is still needed on the temples and stuff.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's Lost Worlds - or the Year of Board (2018?) PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
The BIG board (the architects' model board) has a tiny update. At the rear of the rise of the land is a door - it's part of a Lord of the Rings set, with an added closed and barred door. This does not lead to Moria - although it might. It is not invisible and does not need a friendly word to open it.

I am making the rise in the land a glacis; the next board will have a ditch and fortifications. The door is a sally port, which opens up somewhere which will be hidden - or perhaps random (by digging upwards from a point in a gallery). It could also be used to mine under an attack.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
These look like they will be great projects to follow- please keep posting progress. :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »
Well, you certainly have plenty to keep you busy, with some very interesting boards in amongst those.
I shall be following with interest.
 :)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of boards! How do you store everything?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of boards! How do you store everything?
Poorly!
The Mother Hydra will be an all-plastic construction, so it can live in our very damp cellar; the 2' x 2' KS boards are also plastic and live in the same location, although their scenery will have to be housed elsewhere.
The 1' x 1' boards will be squeezed in cupboards - that's why I like their small size.
The marsh board is a mat, and the scenery will go in wooden boxes which will live on top of the study shelves.
The green board, the Dreadball pitch and the large architect model boards will go under a divan (once I clear it of other models!)
It's a tight fit, and I need a better solution!

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
Nice terrain boards especially the 'Angkor' one - perfect for the OGAM game we still have to do!  lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
Nice terrain boards especially the 'Angkor' one - perfect for the OGAM game we still have to do!  lol
Except that none of us are fielding far eastern warbands; but we can ignore that detail or assume the gods are keen to expand their congregations eastwards.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
Sir, you are my hero. I do love every board here! :-* :-*

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
Except that none of us are fielding far eastern warbands; but we can ignore that detail or assume the gods are keen to expand their congregations eastwards.

Just imagine my greeks have settled in India and are in a bit of exploring mood and your norse did the unthinkable and sailed the pacific ocean and settled in Cambodia ;D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Just imagine my greeks have settled in India and are in a bit of exploring mood and your norse did the unthinkable and sailed the pacific ocean and settled in Cambodia ;D
Works for me - anyway, I am including a Midgard Serpent, so they could easily hitch a ride :D

Sir, you are my hero. I do love every board here! Love Love
Aw, blush - thanks - I just hope to get one or two completed at some point!