Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689646
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2018 - a report from the front WEEK 3 - let's write a book!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
BSC2018 - a report from the front WEEK 3 - let's write a book!
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »
BSC2018 has started, and is now one week old.
Several participants have started posting - those who haven't done so yet, no worries, there's no penalty - I would advise not leaving it too late though, for no reason other than it's just 5 weeks to go now  :D

As is the case every year some threads have caught fire - either because the originator has posted loads of stuff, or because the quality or subject interest have elicited response - I believe the current record is 5 pages, generated by the rather impressive Obyekt thread by RichH.

Some serious skills are on display, including sculpting, shaping, assembly, 3D printing design or just sheer creativity - inspiring and frightening at the same time! A few threads of 3D-printing entries are breaking down the process into digestible chunks, and have generated interest in the practice of this arcane craft. We're also getting to see the fine qualities of a small band saw, tiny scale metalwork and exhaustive research on templates for the job.  

Some of you are cheating of course, and there have been at least two cases of people employing teams of cats and/or dogs to help. Guys, if you do that, you're getting an unfair advantage - although I think I can safely say that the presence of cats is more chaotic than benevolent.  :?
OK, I'll confess, my own four aren't contributing anything other than bits of fur getting stuck to the parts I'm using, and I'm jealous.  :-[ ;) :D

On a more practical note, Prof has kindly set up a gallery for the BSC, and it's being used - you can upload your pics here. The gallery can be found by following the 'Galleries' link in the menu at the top of the page under the title bar; or by ging here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=98.  

That's it for now - thanks to all of you taking part and sharing pics and ideas and techniques, keep them coming.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:13:05 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: BSC2018 - a report from the front WEEK 1
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
Yep, a fantastic week one! Some amazing skills on show, some incredibly professional looking builds and loads of character.  I think the vagueness of the theme has allowed a lot of different interpretations leading to a very varied range of ideas.  Top stuff guys 👍

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2018 - a report from the front WEEK 2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »
Two weeks down, and the first entry is complete already. We won't get more updates from Andym, as his submission has been made (unless he decides to complete the entire Statue of Liberty as scatter terrain around the head, of course).  :o

The number of active threads is not exceptionally high, but the stuff being built is a grand show, and an education. I mean who you about taxidermists' fake bird legs, right? The 3D guys are providing us with a detailed look at the works, and I'm sorely tempted to plagiarise their pics and descriptions for a small course for my students  :D ;) The sculptors are sculpting and the whittlers whittling, so it's all busy on the BSC front at the moment.

1 month to go.
Remember that although pics of painted stuff are not allowed, the complete model should be painted for the voting, and you'd need to send to LAF a pic of the complete model by email for the polls. It doesn't matter if you don't have time for that - you won't be disqualified - but it would make for a better show at the end, so go for it.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2018 - a report from the front WEEK 3 - let's write a book...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
Midway more or less, but anyone who hasn't started, join in - we're doing it for fun.
More and more entries are showing incredible skill and ideas, and a good deal of progress too. Voting is going to be one big nightmare!
If we put our minds to it, there's enough material to put together a modelling book with photos and how to notes - the descriptions are already highly detailed, and there's a whole gamut of techniques and materials: foam cutting and sculpting, wood bending and sculpting, all sorts of clays and putties, the 3D step by step screen shots, metalwork hinges in 28mm scale. We could practically produce a textbook. Although I'd go for a conference style compilation of papers... anyone want to be editor?