Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round of Fire Solo - Help?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Round of Fire Solo - Help?
« on: December 26, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
Hi everyone!

I've been fiddling with some ideas for solo gaming for Round of Fire. Lots of users seemed interested, and i'm pretty much into cooperative games, which is the "non-solo" version of solo games.

So far i had some very good suggestions, mostly regarding:

- Flowchart description of the actions "bot" units should take
- Using specific strategies depending on the type of unit activated
- Offering "changes of strategy", based on random cards or table rolls, where players might choose how many rolls to take, every time choosing whether to risk more or go with the flow.

For what i'm concerned, i'd love to have the solo experience to be something VERY different from a "playing two sides" thing. While i understand while many gamers can't afford to wait a gaming group to play a game, i feel that offering a solo option for a game is a serious responsibility, and should provide some challenging scenarios where the player should not close an eye to let the opponents behave intelligently.

So... that's what i have so far. More will follow tomorrow after a good chat with Round of Fire co-author (feo on LAF, and pretty much everywhere else).

Stay tuned, and please do share your ideas! :)

Jack

PS: link to the game page in my signature!

Offline sespe

• Librarian
Re: Round of Fire Solo - Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »
I've been thinking about this, and since RoF is a generic system, maybe you need 2 ways for solo play.  Looking at 2 other games I'm playing now, they use different systems but achieve the same ends.  Paleo Diet uses a table-based system for type of enemy you are facing.  Since they are portraying various animals, this limited set of reactions works well.  Sellswords uses a deck of cards instead.  Much more varied response by the enemy to your actions.

In RoF I see both of these working.  Running a sci-fi scenario with mindless swarms of giant bugs? Use a reaction table.  A WW2 squad sneaking into the German HQ?  Use a more open deck of cards option. 

I don't know if you remember, but here's an early beta I ran solo.  Each bug unit would perform standard MOVE actions until they reached melee, then attack.  Their placement on the wheel determined when they would "appear", and I random-rolled for placement.  The bugs used cover and concealment on the way in, but would hone in on the nearest target group.  They didn't even need a table of actions.

http://wanderingview.blogspot.com/2016/05/round-of-fire-first-contact.html

Offline warchariot

• Bookworm
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:40 AM »

II don't know if you remember, but here's an early beta I ran solo.  Each bug unit would perform standard MOVE actions until they reached melee, then attack.  Their placement on the wheel determined when they would "appear", and I random-rolled for placement.  The bugs used cover and concealment on the way in, but would hone in on the nearest target group.  They didn't even need a table of actions.

http://wanderingview.blogspot.com/2016/05/round-of-fire-first-contact.html

Read your solo game, can you let me (us) know which units you used and a little more about the set up? I would like to run through it myself to help learn the rules. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:05:31 AM by warchariot »
Larry

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:52:14 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, it seems I can't post files on my blog, only pictures.  PM me and I'll send you what I did.  They were early beta testing ideas, so might need some tweaking now.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, it seems I can't post files on my blog, only pictures.  PM me and I'll send you what I did.  They were early beta testing ideas, so might need some tweaking now.

Late reply for late reply, i just read this now, my apologies! PM inbound, i'm also very curious to read what you have! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline warchariot

• Bookworm
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try and report back ASAP.