Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2018 McMordain's Post-Apoc/Necromunda Bar  (Read 15471 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: BSC2018 McMordain's Post-Apoc/Necromunda Bar
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:59 AM »
It gets better and better!
Where are the bolts head moulds from?

I mentioned in an earlier post (here), that I use instamold to copy details. It's best to use for one sided moulds, but I used it occasionally to make "normal" moulds. It's much trickier, but it can be done.
The various nuts come from GW's Sector Mechanicus set and the bolts from a piece that was part of a snap-together building kit.

I made some progress, but much less than I should have. My motivation was really low this weekend. The good news is, I don't have to work on next Saturday, so my hope is that I could spend the entire weekend on getting it finished for painting.

Some added details for the side of the upper floor's base.

I made a connector from two carbon tablet tube's cap. They are a perfect fit for the paper tubes. This helps me with securing the upper floor, without gluing, while I work on it.

A walkway around the Pringles tube. It will not go fully around the tube. The two supports on the upper left side are for a base of the stair that will lead to the roof. That should add some more play area.

I also base coated most of the base parts, and I will start painting it soon.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
Nice job on that walkway, reminds me of one around the bridge of a small tanker we were building (1:1 scale!) at the old shipyard in a former life - this was 5 decks up, and VERY narrow. Looked a lot like this, except the surface consisted of square bars with one edge top, to increase grip, as it was extremely narrow (40cm?). It was only used for inspection, cleaning and maintenance of the bridge windows from outside.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
Keep up the good work! You can finish it!!!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
very impressive stuff.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »

I also made sign for the bar, with some lights (not actual lights, mind you. That would be a little too much for me... o_o)

"The c***'s Nest"???

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
"The c***'s Nest"???

Ah! I see that the auto-censoring IntelliSense is back. What other words does it disapprove of? Fuck. Shit. Cock. Arse.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:31:10 AM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
Ah! I see that the auto-censoring IntelliSense is back. What other words does it disapprove of? Fuck. Shit. Cock. Arse.

Oh. I guess "c***'s" the only one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:31:19 AM by Hammers »

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »
"The c***'s Nest"???

Well it's supposed to be "The Hunter's Nest"   ;)
I didn't have any Rs left, so I had to think of something... so the R is full and the E is partially shot of.
Although if I would have gone with the gang hideout idea for my Eschers, it would be a somewhat fitting  lol

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:47 AM »
Ahoy!

So, the bad news first: there is very little chance that the thing will be done and painted by the deadline. If I push myself hard, I could probably finish the building part, but there is no way I can paint this in an afternoon. The only thing in which I'm slower than building stuff is painting stuff  lol
Also even if I "finish" building it, the only way I can do that if I don't do the interior. But I want a playable inside and I cannot consider the thing done if I would still work on it later. I did some calculations as well and it seems the one bottle of water effect (200 ml) I bought for the competition is not enough to cover the base as much as I would like. It would be around 1 mm thick and I wanted at least 5 mm. I don't have the time and money to buy two more bottles at the moment. And applying it would take 2 or 3 days as well...
After last years fiasco with the big and complicated spaceship, I planned to do something simple, which I can finish on time. It seems I cannot do that though  lol

On the bright side I did manage to make progress. Lots of pics below.

The Pringles tube is done.

I added some gs nuts to the rim, but forgot to make proper photos of that. You can see them on the next couple of pics though.

After the Pringles tank, I started on the structure of the bar.

I decided that the stair tube was/is an air vent, so I added a little ventilator to the side. The builder cut into it and floored it to add some space.

I cut the base for the roof as well.

The floor of the bar was done next.

After this I got to the part I really enjoy, detailing the place. I started with the owner's room. It is his/her living place and doubles as a safe room, if tempers get heated after on to many drinks.

I added some magnets so I can take the door out if I want it open.

Some more gs nuts.

The other side of the door and the wall between the room and the bar area. I added a video/computer screen, also magnetised, if I want this to be more high tech. I think I will add a little magnetised satellite unit to the top of the Pringles tube somewhere to make some sense for it.
I don't have any furniture, so I made some as well.

For low-tech settings, I made two lockers.

And the last two walls. The bed is on the opposite side to the computer and the wall with the gun and escape hatch is facing the door. In hindsight it would have made more sense to make it the other way, as the hatch opens over the toxic sludge. I mostly make things up as I go which complicates things sometime. But I come up with a solution for this, which I will implement tomorrow.
The shelf will be over the hatch. I don't have many useful bits to make the place lived in so I added whatever I could find in among my stuff. The gun can also be taken off the wall. That is for a scenario I have in mind for the place, when it's done. Taken of it can be used as a token to indicate who has it. And I can make one with a more 40K like weapon later.
The bed need some gs work. I need to do a mattress, some covers and a pillow. Or maybe I will try to do a sleeping bag.

After this is done I will start on the bar/kitchen. And after that comes the drinking area and the roof. THEN I can start painting it...

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:59 AM »
This looks amazing.  You made the right choice.  Deadlines and contests are well and fine but rushing such a fine project would be selling it short.  Keep at your build and give it the amazing finish it deserves.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
Cracking stuff  8)

I hope you do finish it, if ot in time for the comp then at least at some point  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
The detailing on this project is amazing.  I hope that you go on to finish the project and continue to show us how it progresses, even if it is not in this particular competition.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
I’m always a sucker for deatiling, and this is amazing! :o Even if you don’t finish for the deadline, keep going, I’d love to see this finished!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Cool indeed.
If you don't make the deadline, post a pic of the incomplete model for the finish - it'll still be nice to see this there, even if incomplete - it certainly deserves to be part of the show.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »
Not sure I can really add much else, aside from "wow, this is really coming along nicely".  lol  Great details!!  :-*