Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54408 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again! It's been a while!

This is sort of a mini-update (and a pretty convenient coincidence with AKULA posting a start for a King's Landing build!) but I've been making a start on boats™, specifically, a bit of a mini-project to make Stannis Baratheon's Fury (again, inspired quite a bit with AKULA's own growing fleet!)

It's still early-days, but I've finished the work on the front of the ship, and the figurehead (apologies for the somewhat low-quality photo):

Fury is a War Galley in the books, and it is surprisingly difficult to find 28mm (or 1/72, or 1/56) scale galleys, so I've based it off of a Zvezda Trireme. It's a bit of an anchronism, but the tie-in artwork seems to depict galleys more like ancient-world oar-driven ships, rather than 15th century ones so I'll use that as justification 

Unfortunately it has the side effect of making it extremely long! A pretty hefty 49cm prow to stern, so I'll need to plan to find somewhere to put it!  lol

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
a neat concept. 

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
I’m really looking forward to seeing how you progress the Fury...I’m still pondering galleys

How wide is the deck on the Zvezda ship...? 

Are you planning on it being fully gameable, ie boarding actions....I base all my GoT figures on 2p pieces but I’m thinking of maybe smaller bases for ship crew because of the limited space.

:)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
I’m really looking forward to seeing how you progress the Fury...I’m still pondering galleys

How wide is the deck on the Zvezda ship...? 

Are you planning on it being fully gameable, ie boarding actions....I base all my GoT figures on 2p pieces but I’m thinking of maybe smaller bases for ship crew because of the limited space.

:)

Thanks!

The deck is just over 60mm across, so for 2p pieces it looks like two can fit comfortably across from eachother on the deck, but that's the limit by the looks of things!

I'm planning on adding some fighting platforms to the fore and aft to hopefully add a bit more space, but it'd still be a bit of a squeeze!

The plan is to add some scorpions and catapults to the ship, but I'll probably make them detachable so that figures can actually move around on-deck

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 28/07, pg 11 - Sail Painted Up)
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2020, 02:27:58 AM »
Another quick update, but I've painted up the sail for the ship, I've done it separately to the rest of the hull while I try to puzzle out a convenient way of having the sail/mast be detachable!

It's about 4 Stannises tall, so probably the largest stag I'll need to paint!

Apologies for the bizarre reflection on the stag itself, the black ended up being REALLY reflective when I was trying to get pictures of it! (I'm not a photographer at heart, so lighting eludes me!)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2020, 07:57:19 AM »
That looks brilliant, nicely done mate.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »
wow! That looks so great!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Wowie!

At the moment I'm also building a boat for my Westeros project (thread will follow) so we at LAF all together  may end up with enough ships to replicate the battle of the Blackwater!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
That looks fantastic, well done!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

That looks bloody lovely  :-*

Damn it....I’d convinced myself I could leave the sails as plain so they are more generic  lol

I hope the other side is plain yellow.....if you’ve painted it in reverse, I’m going to be even more annoyed  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Super stuff! Just lovely, that painting  on the sail.

Embarrassing as it is to admit, when I first saw that one pic of the ship in that earlier post  l  thought "Blimey! That ship has a lot of masts." Then of course I realised I was looking  at a chair in the background. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

That looks bloody lovely  :-*

Damn it....I’d convinced myself I could leave the sails as plain so they are more generic  lol

I hope the other side is plain yellow.....if you’ve painted it in reverse, I’m going to be even more annoyed  ;)

The original plan was to have the sails plain canvas, or striped for Salladhor Saan's ships but then Ser Davos threw a spanner in the works!

Quote from: Davos Seaworth, A Clash of Kings chapter 58
Davos could make out Fury well to the southeast, her sails shimmering golden as they came down, the crowned stag of Baratheon blazoned on the canvas.

The rear of the sail IS plain yellow though, trying to mirror the stag was just a tad too intimidating  lol (other ships I've found online seem to only have the heraldry on the front, so I'm using that as an excuse!)

I will say, the fact that the sail itself is broken up into a 'grid' of sorts is an absolute lifesaver, so having a copy of the image open on my computer with a grid superimposed on it really helped plan out the linework!

Embarrassing as it is to admit, when I first saw that one pic of the ship in that earlier post  l  thought "Blimey! That ship has a lot of masts." Then of course I realised I was looking  at a chair in the background. :)

I think I would've thrown in the towel if I needed to get six of 'em painted up on a single ship!  lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:16:34 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 01/08, pg 11 - Back on the March)
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »
Hi again!

A little interlude from the Fury build!

I'd been taking a look at some of my older Baratheon infantry (from way back when I first started this project back in 2017) and thought some of them were...showing their age a little! So I've been (slowly) working on a more up-to-date set of miniatures to represent Stannis' forces in the North, more focused on his frozen death march to Winterfell, so a lot of cold, miserable southrons!

Here's the first six of the bunch:

I wanted to give them a more scruffy, desperate look with their cold-weather gear, so I've given some of them cloaks, scarves and gloves. But I wanted it to look like all the snowy gear was just battered hand-me-downs from Castle Black, and not quite enough to go around! So all of the loaner gear is Night's Watch black

Stannis was not appeased. "Aye, you've shared your salt pork and porridge, and you've thrown us some black rags to keep us warm.

Similarly the weapons were just a mix of polearms, (I'm aiming to add some swordsmen to the bunch as well), just to get across the "This is whatever we were able to find in the armoury in Castle Black/Dragonstone before we left" rather than a well supplied force!

Here's my personal favourite of the bunch, I like his red nose and rosy cheeks!

And here's a comparison with two of the older 2017-infantry, hopefully there's been an improvement!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2020, 09:56:47 PM »
The new additions look suitably forlorn and frostbitten - the light dusting really adds to the effect  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:14:15 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2020, 03:09:50 AM »
The new additions look suitably forlorn and frostbitten - the light dusting really adds to the effect  :)

Thanks! Though, I was quite worried that the snow-dusting on the clothes would look a bit weird (especially on the yellow!), glad to hear it's turned out ok!