Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 780
Total: 787

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54480 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 15/12, pg 14 - Fury Ready to Paint)
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »
Very cool  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
Lovely work mate..... ‘tis a thing of beauty  :)

Have you thought yet about what sort of armament it will have...ie will it have some sort of ballista or will it be archers?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »
Lovely work mate..... ‘tis a thing of beauty  :)

Have you thought yet about what sort of armament it will have...ie will it have some sort of ballista or will it be archers?

Thanks!

I was originally going to try for the book description:

Quote from: Davos Seaworth
Above her three hundred oars was a deck given over wholly to scorpions, and topside she mounted catapults fore and aft, large enough to fling barrels of burning pitch.

But turns out the front of the ship is just a hair too narrow for me to get the fore-catapult in, without it being an extremely tight squeeze (or the forecastle being gigantic!)

So plan is now to have some detachable siege weapons, I've got the two catapults (one for the rear platform, the other might squeeze in the front, but not the crew!), and six scorpions for the main deck. But I've not glued them to the ship so the option's open to have a bunch of archers/men-at-arms/etc. on the deck instead if I need to

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
So plan is now to have some detachable siege weapons, I've got the two catapults (one for the rear platform, the other might squeeze in the front, but not the crew!), and six scorpions for the main deck. But I've not glued them to the ship so the option's open to have a bunch of archers/men-at-arms/etc. on the deck instead if I need to

That is certainly going to be an impressive sight  8)

I need to get on with my ships as well, so we can have a naval battle  :D

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »
Pictures please :)!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 27/02, pg 15 - Fury Finished!)
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »
Hi again!

Been a bit of a while but I've finally finished the work to paint up the Fury!

Working up the motivation to paint 116 oars was a bit of a task, but finally managed to convince myself to stick to it and it's done now!

I've left the mast (and sail) detachable to make it a bit easier to move figures around on-deck as well

And here's the rear-castle with King Stannis for scale

In terms of the armaments I wanted to try and keep it as close to Davos' description of the ship as the scale would allow (which definitely meant a bit of a tight squeeze sometimes!), but I've left them detachable so that they can be swapped out as the scenario demands

Davos could make out Fury well to the southeast, her sails shimmering golden as they came down, the crowned stag of Baratheon blazoned on the canvas. From her decks Stannis Baratheon had commanded the assault on Dragonstone sixteen years before, but this time he had chosen to ride with his army, trusting Fury and the command of his fleet to his wife's brother Ser Imry, who'd come over to his cause at Storm's End with Lord Alester and all the other Florents.

Davos knew Fury as well as he knew his own ships. Above her three hundred oars was a deck given over wholly to scorpions, and topside she mounted catapults fore and aft, large enough to fling barrels of burning pitch. A most formidable ship, and very swift as well, although Ser Imry had packed her bow to stern with armored knights and men-at-arms, at some cost to her speed.

So here's the scorpions on-deck:

And the fore-catapult, it just barely fits in the fighting platform (but if I made it any larger it would look weirdly large with the rest of the ship, so I've made do with a snug catapult!)

And the rear one, with much more spacious accomodation  :D

Finally I've left the flagpoles at the back detachable as well so they can be swapped out for whichever is most appropriate for the scenario. Currently I've done plain Baratheon stags for an earlier pre-R'hllor Stannis, around Robert's Rebellion or the Greyjoy Rebellion, and also the firey-heart banners for King Stannis during the War of Five Kings and the Battle of the Blackwater

And here's the full length of the ship with all the bells and whistles attached:

I'm quite happy with how it turned out, even if it took a while to get round to finishing it!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »
Most impressive  8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Brilliant work, a ship to be proud of!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2021, 06:35:43 PM »
Very cool! Most impressive! I have the same galley kit but since it's a 1/72 kit I've been hesitating using it for my 28mm figs. It seems like it works reasonably well.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the pictures!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2021, 11:03:21 PM »
Mate you should be really proud, she is a beauty  :-*

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2021, 11:11:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Mate you should be really proud, she is a beauty  :-*

Thanks! Your Westeros post this week was definitely a big part in providing the motivation to finish those oars!  lol

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 04/04, pg 15 - Jon Connington)
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2021, 12:50:11 PM »
Hi again!

After the Fury I thought I'd take a break from boats for a bit and work on some character figures! I was a bit indecisive with who to go for, but eventually settled on Jon Connington, one of the POV characters from A Dance with Dragons who was cut from the TV show

I was a bit indecisive about when I wanted the Jon Connington figure to represent, so I put together a couple of different ones to represent different parts of his life and career

First up is a young JonCon, back when he was Lord of Griffin's Roost and Hand of the King at the start of Robert's Rebellion, or early on in his exile with the Golden Company (alternatively, this could be used for his cousin Red Ronnet Connington who appears in a few of the books fighting for Renly, Stannis and later Joffrey and Tommen)

I've historically had some issues painting heraldic lions, and griffins were even more fiddly, so I kind of shot myself in the foot by having six of them on the figure!  lol

Next up, I did a figure to represent 'Griff,' Jon Connington's alter-ego while he's in exile and in disguise after having faked his death. I've tried to copy details from the book description of him, with a deliberately drab outfit, fur cloak and dyed blue hair, though, painting an intentionally bad hair-dye job is definitely a challenge

Griff's cloak was made from the hide and head of a red wolf of the Rhoyne. Under the pelt he wore brown leather stiffened with iron rings. His clean-shaved face was leathery too, with wrinkles at the corners of his eyes. Though his hair was as blue as his son's, he had red roots and redder eyebrows. At his hip hung a sword and dagger.

And finally as a bit more of a vignette I wanted to do an older Jon Connington, back from Exile and no longer in disguise (although poor Jon notes in the books that he has grey hair now, but a red beard still)

For this one, I've based the figure on the Gripping Beast Brian Boru figure, to have Jon sitting on a rock having a bit of an introspective moment in a meadow back in Westeros with the skull of his former friend, (implied) lover and commanding officer, Myles Toyne.

This was my first attempt experimenting with flowers on miniature bases, so I've included a mix of yellow flowers for House Toyne and red ones for House Connington for a bit of symbolism there

And because I felt bad about having poor Myles only be a gold skull, I did a figure to represent a living Myles Toyne as Captain General of the Golden Company as well

For completeness' sake, here's Jon and Myles together and not dead!

Hopefully they've turned out ok! I may do a few more Shy Maid/Golden Company characters to accompany Jon Connington (probably 'Young Griff' at the least!)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:13:35 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
That is stunning brushwork! Great job  :)

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2021, 06:51:11 AM »
Thats a really good paintjob!