Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54311 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 04/04, pg 15 - Jon Connington)
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »
Excellent work mate - especially well done on the heraldry

It’s the great thing about the material that you can be building a ship one minute and delving into the huge “supporting cast” of characters, the next.

8)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 04/04, pg 15 - Jon Connington)
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
Thanks everyone! Had a lot of fun putting these together (especially the "Alas, poor Yorick" JonCon!)

It’s the great thing about the material that you can be building a ship one minute and delving into the huge “supporting cast” of characters, the next.

8)

Agreed! I've been re-reading A Feast for Crows/A Dance With Dragons, and in between all of the geographical filters and POVs there's loads of room to focus and re-focus projects like these!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Fury looks great!! Very convincing!  :)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
The Fury is absolutely incredible. Like, stunning. I'd love to see some games on that!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

After a bit of a break from painting full units of figures for the ASoIaF project, I wanted to get back into the swing of things, but wasn't quite sure who to go with at first! I'm always really impressed with the sculpts by Antediluvian miniatures, so I wanted an excuse to paint up a bunch of the figures. So naturally with so many packs of Iselemen on their website, House Greyjoy seemed like a natural fit!

Using Islemen as uh...Ironmen was also a nice way to keep the Greyjoys in-line with the other 15th century units I'm using for for the project, and fits in with the mental-image I had for the Iron-Islands forces as being Battle-of-Harlaw era-types that are broadly similar in terms of equipment to the rest of Westeros, but a bit scruffier and more axe-focused (though GRRM does lean pretty hard on viking references so that's definitely a valid reading too!). So with that in mind I painted up two units of twelve, one close-quarters block of raiders, and another with bows

The close-quarters unit is a mix of Galloglass and Antediluvian's new Early Islemen sculpts. I really liked the new Islemen figures, and this seemed like a definite opportunity to paint some up for a unit!

I also painted up a unit of archers to go with the main block of raiders, they're mostly Antediluvian Islemen archers with a couple of ribaulds mixed in. I wanted to keep a sort of scrappy look to the unit compared to the more organised Westerosi ones, so I did things like mix up the gambeson colours in the unit to avoid things being too 'uniform', the range of equipment on the sculpts helped with that aesthetic (where like a third of the figures don't have shoes!)

The Antediluvian figures are slightly shorter than the Perry sculpts, which is great in this case, because it helps get across that Victarion is supposed to be a huge man and towers over the other Ironborn

And here's the Greyjoy force so far:

I've kept the banners detachable, and tried to emphasise the yellow rather than the black in the Greyjoy colours, so that I can keep the units as versatile as possible and use them as Macdonalds or Campbells in actual 15th century games!

Let me know how they've turned out, or if you've got any different ideas for how the Ironborn could look! And once again, I highly recommend the Antediluvian Miniatures' range!

(Incidentally, turns out painting squids is exhausting!  lol )
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 05:07:15 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Excellent  8)

I think the series version looked naff. I like what you've done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Nice work mate. I’ve really struggled to come up with something that looks convincing to me as Ironborn, but I really like your interpretation  :)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Looking the part, great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Amazing look!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Terrific.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Smashing! I was going to do some Ironborn for the LPL a few years ago, and though that came to nothing in the end, I too had the idea to use figures from the Kingdom of the Isles, they just seem a good fit to me. Great minds think alike, eh?

By the way, though the Ironborn and Iron Islands are really cool with their weird Cthulhu god and everything, I've always thought their philosophy really, really, dumb. Having to pay 'the iron price' for absolutely everything is just asking for somebody with a bigger stick to come and swat you eventually. Never having peace with your neighbours is not going to work unless you are the biggest squid in the pond, and their history has proved over and over that they are not. Fucking idiots. Oh well, who ever said that kooky ancient religions ever had any practical advice about life.

I'm just imagining what Ironborn marketplaces are like.

"That's a nice hat. How much is it?"
"Three copper coins, sir!"
"Hmm... do you accept... IRON?!" SMACK!!!

Three weeks later: "Has anyone seen Quellon the hatter's stall lately? He used to do some really good hats..."

I know it isn't quite like that, but their stupid attitude always makes be giggle a bit. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
The freehand shields and flags are amazing. I also like what you've done with the leader. I believe he's part of a GW dark elf miniature? Either way this is wonderful. On a side note my gaming group plays the CMON song of ice and fire. I have just joined in with an order of the new Greyjoy miniatures so this is fitting to see your color palette.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone! Glad the interpretation worked!

By the way, though the Ironborn and Iron Islands are really cool with their weird Cthulhu god and everything, I've always thought their philosophy really, really, dumb. Having to pay 'the iron price' for absolutely everything is just asking for somebody with a bigger stick to come and swat you eventually. Never having peace with your neighbours is not going to work unless you are the biggest squid in the pond, and their history has proved over and over that they are not. Fucking idiots. Oh well, who ever said that kooky ancient religions ever had any practical advice about life.

I'm just imagining what Ironborn marketplaces are like.

"That's a nice hat. How much is it?"
"Three copper coins, sir!"
"Hmm... do you accept... IRON?!" SMACK!!!

Three weeks later: "Has anyone seen Quellon the hatter's stall lately? He used to do some really good hats..."

I know it isn't quite like that, but their stupid attitude always makes be giggle a bit. :)

I've thought about this a few times because like...we know there's 'civilian' work on the islands like inns and stuff, and Victarion clearly got his custom Kraken helmet somewhere. I figure it might be some loophole like "Oh a thrall did it and they got captured at some point so it counts as iron-price stuff" or just GRRM pointing out the hypocrisy of a society like that...but it's also much funnier to imagine a punch-up happening every time someone goes to order a round of drinks!  lol

The freehand shields and flags are amazing. I also like what you've done with the leader. I believe he's part of a GW dark elf miniature? Either way this is wonderful. On a side note my gaming group plays the CMON song of ice and fire. I have just joined in with an order of the new Greyjoy miniatures so this is fitting to see your color palette.

Thanks! Yup Victarion's head is from an old GW Lokhir Fellheart I had in a box somewhere. I'd definitely be interested to see the CMON Greyjoys painted up too!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

Bit of a quick update this time, with another character figure. This time, the commander of King Stannis' fleet after the Battle of the Blackwater, the Lysene mercenary pirate prince Salladhor Saan

Saan is based on a Front Rank WotR character figure, with a plume and some facial hair added. I wanted to give him one of his ostentatious outfits he gets described with, while also keeping with a sort of 15th century look, so the merchant-style houpellande and chaperon seemed like a good fit! Although, I missed off his jade buttons:

The Lyseni was a sleek, smiling man whose flamboyance was a byword on both sides of the narrow sea. Today he wore flashing cloth-of-silver, with dagged sleeves so long the ends of them pooled on the floor. His buttons were carved jade monkeys, and atop his wispy white curls perched a jaunty green cap decorated with a fan of peacock feathers.

And from the side for a slightly clearer view of the peacock feathers:

And here's Saan and King Stannis (best buds, naturally) to contrast the two

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Cool interpretation, looks the part to me. Great work!