Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 616
Total: 624

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 53589 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
That works well  :)

but it's also much funnier to imagine a punch-up happening every time someone goes to order a round of drinks!  lol

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
It’s always great to see your interpretation of characters that I’ve got a completely different idea of in my head....Salladhor Saan looks brilliant  :D

...oh...and as for...

I figure it might be some loophole like "Oh a thrall did it and they got captured at some point so it counts as iron-price stuff" or just GRRM pointing out the hypocrisy of a society like that...but it's also much funnier to imagine a punch-up happening every time someone goes to order a round of drinks!

lol

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Those peacock feathers turned out really well.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

Definitely been a while since the last update! Been a bit of a hectic few months so I've not had a chance to work on painting too much, but finally got some time back, so I've been working on a few more character figures. This time, the Squid Kids, Asha Greyjoy and Theon Greyjoy

First up is Asha Greyjoy, she's based on a Frostgrave captain, with a Statuesque miniatures head. I also replaced the halberd with a (throwing) axe, from her "Lord Husband and Suckling Babe" routine. Asha wears a surprising amount of green in the books, as opposed to Greyjoy black/yellow, but I still wanted to visually tie her in with the rest of the Greyjoys, so I painted the belt and strap yellow to connect to the rest of the force (and to parallel the whole squid/tentacle motif) 

And here's Theon, as of A Game of Thrones or A Clash of Kings, with his charming (read: awful) personality quirks. He's an unconverted Front Rank War of the Roses Captain of Archers. I liked the idea of giving him fancier, more modern armour than the rest of the Greyjoys, where it would've been given to him by the Starks and Tullys in-line with mainland Westeros feudal styles. So it's all tidy, custom-tailored heraldic stuff to make him look like an outsider to the rest of the force (while still obviously a Greyjoy)

And here's the two Greyjoy siblings together

Let me know how they've turned out!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
They look great - love the thinking that has gone into these

:)

Offline Lau

• Librarian
They look perfect! Good job!

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone!

As an aside, I highly recommend the Statuesque Miniatures heads, had an excellent experience with the site, and the pulp scale ones fit pretty much exactly with the Perry kits

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 29/12, pg 17 - King Euron Greyjoy)
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
Hi again! And potential spoilers for The Forsaken (and The Winds of Winter if The Forsaken makes it into the final book) in terms of Euron's character appearance!

Back again with more Greyjoys, this time I've put together a figure to represent Euron Greyjoy, as King of the Iron Islands (as opposed to Euron as a swaggering pirate at the start of A Feast for Crows)

The appearance is mostly based off of how Aeron describes him in the The Forsaken preview chapter released back in 2016, with his Valyrian Steel armour, shark-tooth crown and red-silk cloak:

That night he wore a shirt of iron scales and a cloak of blood red silk. His eyepatch was red leather, his lips blue.

He had put aside his driftwood crown. In its place, he wore an iron crown whose points were made from the teeth of sharks.

Euron isn't a fan of family sentimentality so his colour-scheme is very different to the usual Greyjoy Black/Yellow, with much more red (aside from his blue-lips from warlock wine overuse)

The description of the armour goes into detail about how the individual scales are engraved with glyphs, have whorls in the metal and are individually edged with red gold, but I figured the miniature was just a tiny bit too small to attempt that without it looking messy, so I took some liberties there!

Aeron specifically mentions that Euron is clad "head to heel" in scales, so I tried to find a figure with the longest possible scale armour to use as a base!

And here's a view from the back, with a better look at the goblet full of Shade of the Evening, which Euron seems to be spending most of his time drinking as part of his evil-wizard routine!

Let me know how he's turned out!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:51:14 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2022, 07:33:44 PM »
I think your take on Euron is great!  8) That almost looks like a Rohan figure as the basis for him?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
Always enjoy your updates - it’s great to see different interpretations of a common theme...although I still haven’t settled on the look I want for my own Ironborn, your project continues to inspire  :D

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2022, 06:10:37 PM »
Thanks both!

I think your take on Euron is great!  8) That almost looks like a Rohan figure as the basis for him?

Yup! That's the Háma figure as the base, turns out it was surprisingly hard to find a figure "head to heel" in scale armour who had the right sort of pose, and he fit the bill quite nicely! (Although, I do tend to imagine Euron a bit more gaunt!)

Always enjoy your updates - it’s great to see different interpretations of a common theme...although I still haven’t settled on the look I want for my own Ironborn, your project continues to inspire  :D

Thanks! The nice thing with the Ironborn is they don't really have a consistent defined look, so there's a lot of freedom to experiment, especially with Euron and his crew. I've seen depictions range from vikings to basically swashbuckling pirates (and a lot in between), so I'd definitely be interested to see your take on them when you settle on a look!

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 09/05, pg 17 - Vargo Hoat)
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2022, 11:15:53 AM »
Hi again! Been a bit of a while since the last update!

Another small character update, this time with one of the more overtly villainous characters in the series: Vargo Hoat, riding his zorse

Hoat is captain of the Bloody Mummers Brave Companions and is a large part of Tywin Lannister's (and later Roose Bolton's) raiding and reaving across the Riverlands in the War of Five Kings. While the Mummers themselves are awful awful people, visually they're pretty interesting! With all sorts of different groups across Essos and Westeros represented, and a gimmick for riding zorses. So with that, I decided to make a start on some Mummers as part of this project, partly just to have an excuse to experiment a bit more with the painting (although many could be used in other Sellsword companies too)

My understanding from the book descriptions was that the Bloody Mummers were mostly a light cavalry force, so I wanted Hoat to be mounted as part of that, in full battle gear, with his goats-head helm and chain of coins around his neck.

The World of Ice and Fire book says that zorses (like in real-life) are a hybrid between horses and zebras, rather than just being the fantasy version of zebras, but I figured Hoat would be ostentatious enough to choose the most zebra-y looking one he could find! So I went for a more zebra-style colour scheme there, rather than the ones you see on real-world zorses

Hopefully he's turned out ok! I probably won't make a habit of painting zorse stripes any time soon, they're exhausting!  lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2022, 11:17:40 AM »
Excellent in conception and execution!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »
He looks great  8)

Good to see the project carry on  :)