Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 720
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54288 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Daario Naharis)
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
Hi again!

Another Sellswords post again, with another named character! This time, I've painted up a figure to represent the ever ostentatious Daario Naharis, ruthless captain of the Stormcrows and Dany's paramour

Given how over-the-top Daario is, I needed to set him apart from the already colourful Tyroshi I had painted up. So considering Daario is a fashion disaster in the books, I just had to get that included! I've based the scheme on his first outfit in A Storm of Swords in particular:

Daario Naharis was flamboyant even for a Tyroshi. His beard was cut into three prongs and dyed blue, the same color as his eyes and the curly hair that fell to his collar. His pointed mustachios were painted gold. His clothes were all shades of yellow; a foam of Myrish lace the color of butter spilled from his collar and cuffs, his doublet was sewn with brass medallions in the shape of dandelions, and ornamental goldwork crawled up his high leather boots to his thighs. Gloves of soft yellow suede were tucked into a belt of gilded rings, and his fingernails were enameled blue.

Going off that description meant a LOT of yellow, but I didn't want everything to be the same shade, so I've gone for a few different tones, with a warm yellow for the doublet, ochre for the leggings, mustard for the gloves and a very pale butter-yellow for his lace cuffs and collar

The miniature itself is based on a Eureka Miniatures Portuguese sailor, which I felt really had the swashbuckling feel I needed without literally going for 18th century pirates

I felt that the sword and dagger hilts were a tad too small to effectively sculpt the custom designs Daario uses, so I've just left them as gold, for even more yellow on the outfit

And to round off, here's Daario with the other Tyroshi sellswords I've painted up

Hopefully he's turned out ok!

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »
Looking great! Love the use of the corsair models and going with the extravagant hair colors like in the books

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2022, 08:35:15 PM »
Looking great! Love the use of the corsair models and going with the extravagant hair colors like in the books

My thoughts echo those of Rosie. Great work! I wish they had done as well with his appearance on the TV series.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2022, 11:00:12 PM »
Thanks both!

Another quick update this time, with another character figure, this time one representing Queen Selyse Florent, Stannis Baratheon's wife. She's definitely more of a non-combatant character in this project, but with around sixty-odd knights and men-at-arms at Castle Black, she does have enough of a military presence there to at least give the Night's Watch some second thoughts about offending her

In the books Selyse is pretty unusual in that her outfits are very rarely described, and never in much detail, probably because the only POVs who see her are Jon and Davos, who don't tend to pay much attention to that (compared to say, Ned who is very fashion conscious!). So in the absence of more detailed descriptions, I've combined colour schemes from her own house with those of her husband's, so she has a dress with the Florent white, blue and red, and over that, the Baratheon yellow and black, with ermine cuffs for the cold! Selyse struck me as someone who would be very performatively courtly, to compensate for Stannis' total aversion to the pageantry of nobility, so I thought bright colours and fancy dresses would suit her better than the extremely muted outfits of the TV series, at least in my interpretation!

The figure is one of the Assault Group Tudor Crowd figures without any modifications, I thought about adding her crown of flames, but ultimately decided against it, though I might do a second figure with the crown to pair with Stannis himself eventually!

Hopefully she's turned out ok!