Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Glory of The Sun #1  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Glory of The Sun #1
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
 :) Thanks everybody... Plenty more where he came from  ;)

(Go on Phil, you know you want to... )

lol

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
argsilverson

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
SUPERB PAINTING ON BEUTIFUL FIGURES, ONCE HAD A FRENCH ARMY IN 15MM BUT NEVER PAYED A GAME I LIKDE THE RULES WE USED DIDNT INSPIRE ME , WHAT RULES DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND.?

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »
I like that a lot Rich

Where do you get the colour schemes from for that period?

What troop types were there, was it just muskets and pikes with cannons and cavalry?

How would I begin to build a little force?

God what am I saying, I have already pledged myself to VSF o_o

but those are intriguing , makes you want to find out more

Monmouth was captured near where I live and Dame Alice Lisle helped and paid for helping supporters in Ringwood where I grew up. I know its after this period but the style is close enough to inspire  :)

dodge

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
SUPERB PAINTING ON BEUTIFUL FIGURES, ONCE HAD A FRENCH ARMY IN 15MM BUT NEVER PAYED A GAME I LIKDE THE RULES WE USED DIDNT INSPIRE ME , WHAT RULES DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND.?

Beneath the Lily Banners, own them but have not used them but people I know who have recommend giving them a try.

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »
Fantastic. They would be great as french navy for LOTHS.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »
Some nice colour plates here

http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/nl/zoekresultaten/pagina/1/Louis%20XIV/%28%27Louis%20XIV%27%20%2A%29%20and%20%28type%20any%20%27image%20video%20audio%20text%27%29/&colcount=0&wst=Louis%20XIV

Probably a bit more detail here

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org./nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=588630&imageID=1235532&parent_id=585388&word=&snum=&s=&notword=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=66&num=0&imgs=20&pNum=&pos=5

Lots of period info on this blog

http://warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:29:23 AM by Phil Robinson »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
I like that a lot Rich

Where do you get the colour schemes from for that period?

What troop types were there, was it just muskets and pikes with cannons and cavalry?

How would I begin to build a little force?

but those are intriguing , makes you want to find out more

Monmouth was captured near where I live and Dame Alice Lisle helped and paid for helping supporters in Ringwood where I grew up. I know its after this period but the style is close enough to inspire  :)

dodge

Dodge - they are intriguing, aren't they?  ;)
And if you're near Sedgemoor then I would say you're duty bound to set aside your plans for VSF and go for some of this instead!  lol

Actually, I made up the colour scheme, based on some dim recollection of pre-revolutionary French having grey or white coats with some red or blue sprinkled around.

I'm going for a fanciful, impressionistic look for my figures from this period - which is also what I think Mark Copplestone intends with the range of figures. It's not totally historical - it's more giving a feel for the era. I'm going to do a few Irish, English, Dutch, French and German States figures (all in made-up uniforms) and use them for skirmish gaming, along with some of my late ECW period 'Doones' figures...

Yes, muskets, pikes (increasingly rare in this period, which saw the transition to the plug bayonet) heavy and light cavalry and dragoons, plus artillery.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »

dodge

Darth Dodge, once you pledge yourself to the Darkside, there is no going back.... ;) lol

They are splendid looking figures though and the good Captain has made them look very tempting. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »

dodge

Darth Dodge, once you pledge yourself to the Darkside, there is no going back.... ;) lol

They are splendid looking figures though and the good Captain has made them look very tempting. :)

They are though aren't they, it's not just me then, so weird, normally wouldn't want to do this at all

I am pledged to doing some vsf and this funds allowing, as my bob stuff is coming to a period of gaming and no new toys for now.

dodge

Offline Baggins Wood

• Assistant
    • The Deep Blue Sea
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
Hi Dodge,

Monmouth was captured near where I live and Dame Alice Lisle helped and paid for helping supporters in Ringwood where I grew up. I know its after this period but the style is close enough to inspire

If I remember m'history correctly, Monmouth was not a bad general, commanding troops in the Netherlands both alongside and against the French in two campaigns ('72 and '78 dear old wiki tells me). In fact I think he was fighting alongside  D'Artagnan when the fellow was killed at Maastricht. That would be interesting.

Incidentally, his official widow married the Cornwallis that became first lord of the Admiralty in the early '90s.
"...That would also be the French"

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »
Hi Dodge,

Monmouth was captured near where I live and Dame Alice Lisle helped and paid for helping supporters in Ringwood where I grew up. I know its after this period but the style is close enough to inspire

If I remember m'history correctly, Monmouth was not a bad general, commanding troops in the Netherlands both alongside and against the French in two campaigns ('72 and '78 dear old wiki tells me). In fact I think he was fighting alongside  D'Artagnan when the fellow was killed at Maastricht. That would be interesting.

Incidentally, his official widow married the Cornwallis that became first lord of the Admiralty in the early '90s.

That's right he was in Netherlands,

Came over here after gaining support to over throw the king, but was defeated. Hid near verwood, wimborne but was caught in a ditch and then executed.

interesting facts re D'artagnan and the widow.

dodge

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
I have taken a look to the copplestone new range... very nice mins indeed!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
What else can I say but vibrantly beautiful?!