Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Glory of The Sun #1  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: Glory of The Sun #1
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:21 AM »
Oh man! Just when I had put down my bayonet and settled back into TYW, you come along with this beauty!  Great job and highly inspiring.  I'll have to check out Mark's new range.  Hadn't heard about it 'til now.
 :-* :-* :-*
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 06:45:49 AM »
I took the plunge. I bought enough for three regiments, two English and one French and then went on a buying spree at LLC Wargames where the Copplestone sculpted, Dixon Grand Alliance range is currently on a 'close out' sale at 50% off. Now I have enough for the Sedgemoor campaign and enough Cavalry to keep me happy for a long time.  The Copplestone's will become Kirke's and Dumbarton's and I'll add Trelawney's  regiment at a later date. The Dixon range has some chaps with firelocks so I'll use those for the Guards at Sedgemoor.

Get in quick I'm thinking of going back for another raid on the remaining stock at LLC. :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
I took the plunge. I bought enough for three regiments, two English and one French and then went on a buying spree at LLC Wargames where the Copplestone sculpted, Dixon Grand Alliance range is currently on a 'close out' sale at 50% off. Now I have enough for the Sedgemoor campaign and enough Cavalry to keep me happy for a long time.  The Copplestone's will become Kirke's and Dumbarton's and I'll add Trelawney's  regiment at a later date. The Dixon range has some chaps with firelocks so I'll use those for the Guards at Sedgemoor.

Get in quick I'm thinking of going back for another raid on the remaining stock at LLC. :D

Wow - sounds fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing those Carlos  :)

I had heard that Mark sculpted some of the Dixon late C17th range, but all the Dixon website photos seem to show figures in their usual ultra-chunky style  :?

Any chance of any pics? Would love to see how compatible Mark's older stuff for Dixon is with his own new Glory of The Sun range...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
I am tempted very much to use these.
Can you advise about suitable basing?
argsilverson

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »
I am tempted very much to use these.
Can you advise about suitable basing?

Depends what you're likely to use them for I suppose.  :?
I mount all my figures on 25mm washers, since all my games are large scale skirmishes - I don't play commercial rules sets with multiple-based figures on set frontages...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
Steady on chaps, I only ordered them this week. For a Dixon Copplestone vs Copplestone have a look at this thread on TMP:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=165987.

They seem to match up reasonably well and whilst the Dixons are early Copplestone and maybe a little less refined I like what I see. Don't seem to have the  Dixon Melon head syndrome. In my case they'll be in seperate units so I'm not too fussed by a mil or two, easily fixed with the basing. LLC Wargames site hepfully describes them as 'large 25mm'

As I suspect they will be on the largeish end of things I suspect I'll go with 60mm wide  bases 3 to a base. I'm looking at using Warfare in the Age of Discovery but by basing them that way I could conjoin a couple and go with the new base size for BLB. Ideally I'd like 4 figures to the base but we'll have to see how comfortably they fit.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 02:42:13 AM »
Well they arrived and.......... wow!! These are really nice figures, more than nice, they are sensational. I think they are some of Mark's nicest work. Due to the mad whirlwind of social commitments that is my life I've only just got around to priming them. They look every bit as good in the 'flesh' as they do in the various web photos. These are going to be a real pleasure to paint. Service as ever was incredibly good. Hopefully it's not painting the man into a corner but I sent a thank you note to Mark and also inquired about the prospect of some Spanish or some available pre-release figures for some conversion work. The good news is he plans to do a dedicated line of Spanish infantry. Now I can see myself painting up armies in a whole range of lurid colours.

On a side note I also picked up a number of the Copplestone sculpted Dixon Grand Alliance range. Not at the standard of his present work and a wee bit smaller, these are still very nice figures and no doubt I'll be buying some more. With a bit of a build up on the bases a number could be mixed with the GOtS range. Personally I'll be putting them in separate units, I primarily bought them to make up Montrose's army for Sedgemoor. I now have a pretty big painting schedule ahead of me. My plan is to get through it by adopting a West Country accent and slaking my thirst with cider. ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:57:51 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Excellent news Carlos.

I have just finished painting a batch of these and they are a real pleasure to paint, and are superb figures. Can't show them quite yet, as they will be appearing in a painting competition in the not too distant future, but I've done English, French, Dutch and Irish, and I love 'em all!

;)