Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sellswords and Spellslingers from Ganesha (first game)  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Sellswords and Spellslingers from Ganesha (first game)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:38 AM »
Bought the rules.  They read reasonably well an the mechanics look good.  Now for a test drive......

And, yes.  You get 15 downloads.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
I think you get more than that: I just checked, and my Ganesha account shows 14 remaining downloads for S&S.

15 downloads? That must be something new.

I had originally bought my first couple of SOBH pdfs directly at Ganesha. They sold me 5 (five) downloads, which was reasonable back then, but not today, when I want to have the rules on my phone, my laptop, the old desktop I still own, and my pad etc. 5 is very...tight.

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
Just played a couple of solo games of this.  The first game was fun, but the PCs made no progress through making a number of rules mistakes.  Replying the game with perhaps only getting one or two things wrong went much better.
 I still don't quite get how single (not hoard/minion models) NPCs get activated.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 12:32:07 AM »

I still don't quite get how single (not hoard/minion models) NPCs get activated.

They activate through the Monster Frenzy and Monster Activates cards - so just as often as hordes (there are three Horde Activates and three Monster Activates cards in the deck).

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
On Monster Activates it implies that the nearest monster can be part of a horde. Is this only the case if there isn't a single monster?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 12:46:29 AM »
No, it's the nearest monster (whether or not it's in a horde). So, if you have six goblins within 4" and a troll 7" away, one of the goblins will charge you (or shoot at you). if you draw Horde Activates, all the goblins charge you. Basically, hordes are temporary formations. But if it's the troll that's 4" away and the goblins 7", the troll charges.

In our games, the individual monsters are moving just as much as the hordes. I think, in part, that's because they tend to have more staying power. We certainly have had a lot of occasions when all the minions are dead, but the loners are still going.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the report and the discussion - this looks exactly like what I am looking for...
I'll wait for the print version though - do you know if it will include cards?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
I don't know - I did see that you can get printed cards from DriveThruCards (I think!) already. The PDF does include a very handy two-sided quick-reference sheet.

We played a four-player game yesterday (the same scenario again, because we were pushed for time); it was as tense as the first, with only three out of 10 PCs making it off the board - although that's partially because we forgot the armour saves for a couple of them.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
The print version went live on Lulu this evening. You can get it Freepost with the code
SHIPIT2018
If you order before tomorrow night

I ordered it earlier. Doesn't include the cards though, you have to download those from Ganesha
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
That's the kind f review that makes me buy things.  :)
Indeed, I bought and printed the game purely on the strength of this thread.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
Just ordered the print version - looking forward to having a game, I'll certainly post an AAR on my blog.

Offline ganesha games

• Schoolboy
    • http://ganeshagames.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
Guys thank you for the kind words and the business.
Re:number of downloads is unlimited, lifetime if you buy from my site and lose the file I will send it to you. The “15 downloads” is mostly a server space/bandwidth cost thing. If you run out of downloads just contact me on Facebook (andrea Sfiligoi or Ganesha games or on the song of blades Facebook group) or by email at andreasfiligoiATgmailDOTcom and I ‘ll reinstate your downloads

Print version does not include the cards because that would send the print on demand cost through the roof but there is a free download of cards on ganeshames.net and I am trying to make them available asap on drivethrucards (the process is not as simple as it should).

Probably next week I will release a scenario pack with a new scenario and 20+ new cards
Including rules for vampires and chaos mutations

Thanks!
Andrea

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 03:29:05 AM »
I have tried another game, this time getting more of the rules right and not forgetting as many of the PC traits.
I made my own scenario, which went OK, but the initial goal turned out to be to easy, and getting out again (I had no planned end of game other than getting off the board) was too hard. 
Despite only being a solo player I ran two groups of PCs.  Two heroes with a sidekick and one sorceress with a couple of guards.
The goal was to kill the enemy mage who was trying to make his esxcape down a valley.

Fireballs destroyed most of the mage's guard.

The slings and arrows (and magic missiles) of outrageous fortune  bring the poor evil mage's flight to an end

But the evil empire strikes back.  Revenge!  Not even pneumatic breasts can save the sorcerer from a pointy stick.

And to make matters worse, the denizens of the forest have been roused!
A giant wolf fills in for the bear.

And with difficulty is slain.  But those pesky friends of the mage keep coming, and coming, and coming............

Spiders have caught the elven archer in a web (reminder, make some webs).  Spiders are my own "creation" toning down the monster in one of the supplied scenarios.

An orc brute (or small troll)....

Even a cold drake (ignore the flames) gets in on the act (another creature of my own).

I found out several things.
1. Fireballs, although they only do 1 damage are extremely effective against a horde of 1 hit point monsters.
2. Shields are an absolute life saver.
3. Protect the wizard!
4. It is hard to move your wounded coleagues off the table while monsters keep spawning.
5. Make sure there is an actual end to the scenario.

Apologies for the photos taken on my phone.
Since the unpleasantness with Photobucket I haven't got around to getting a photoshop or similar product for my camera.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
Hi, thanks for drawing my attention to this. One question:does it fratture the classic Sfiligoi's approaches to character definition, i.e. few characteristics and a lot of traits? Thanks.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »
Hi, thanks for drawing my attention to this. One question:does it fratture the classic Sfiligoi's approaches to character definition, i.e. few characteristics and a lot of traits? Thanks.

It's more like Rogue Stars than SoBH, in that there are no characteristics (apart from hit points), and traits are simply modifiers. So, a PC might be something like "HP: 3, Archery: +2, Sword: +1, Armour: +1, Charisma: +2".

In that way, it's closer to D&D than SoBH - though much simpler than the former.

Each character gets a character sheet; we found that we didn't need to refer to these for the modifiers during the game, but instead used them to record HP and - importantly! - loot.

We haven't been referring to the rulebook at all during games, other than to check scenario set-up. It's all pretty straightforward. There's a QRS that has the all charts and situational modifiers (higher ground, prone foe, etc.) and the recovery chart for out-of-action PCs.