Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black Powder Games,Eagle of Empires rules  (Read 969 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Black Powder Games,Eagle of Empires rules
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi,interested in these rules,seems only a pdf version available at present,was wondering if any members can point to a review or have any experience of them :)
Thanks in advance
Keith

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Re: Black Powder Games,Eagle of Empires rules
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the link Saucy Jack  :)
I had thought there would be more reviews out there though :?

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
That's not really a review , more an advert? There is something on their blog about starting a youtube channel soon to show the rules in action.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
If you've played black powder before and enjoyed it, and you're interested in the period I'd say its a no brainer. BUT if you've not played black powder then IMHO there are better and easier rule sets out there. I like Rank and File by crusader publishing.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
I've read them but not game them yet. In my opinion, they look a work in progress rather than a finished product.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Ok,thanks for feedback guys,was hoping for a more skirmish game .

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
Eagle of Empire rules are a skirmish game, based around a "squad" of 7 figures and a section of 2 x squads plus command. Each nation has a "doctrine" card that allows officers to use command points to enable a squad(or unit depending on doctrine) to undertake unique national actions -e.g. the French Doctrine Card has "Hold the Line" (bonus for defence) "French Elan" (bonus for counter attack after repulsing enemy) and "Empty the Cartouche" (bonus fire). In contrast the Prussians have for example "Prussian Tactics" (double movement) and Artillery Support that they can play for extra in the Shooting phase. In addition each Unit type will have special characteristics. These are fairly standard for Line troops (though french rifles have greater range) but for e.g. it looks like French militia get special deployment ability, a unit type might be "expert skirmishers" or "veterans" etc. The game revolves around the player managing and collecting command points (and ammunition points, which are similar but rarer) that allow them to use special abilities off the doctrine card, buy reinforcements etc. The Game set up rules also require placement of tactical objectives on the board that will confer CP (and ammo) bonuses to the player who controls them. CPs can also be used to buy victory points (18 to win the game - but these can be cashed in at a poor exchange rate in desperate times to buy additional CP). The author says the rules are about managing/balancing your resources through the game as you gain control of tactical objectives that allow you to buy in more reinforcements and VPs.

The rules are presented as Part One: infantry - there are no rules for cavalry or artillery (other than the Prussian Artillery Support  extra fire on the Doctrine card). I assume Part Two (and Three?) are being drafted. The rules do not come with Unit cards (You can print out the French and Prussian Doctrine cards). Apparently if you want Unit cards (again other than standard French or Prussian line which you can see in the rules) these come in the Box Sets sold buy Eagle of Empire.

I purchased these rules on a whim - I have no Franco-Prussian armies. I wondered if they could be adapted to other periods such as Russo-Japanese war (probably). I am intrigued by the mechanisms and like that they are grounded in the known tactical doctrine of the belligerents - it is easier for the Prussian to go in for the assault, and easier for the French to stay on the defensive. I am not a Franco-Prussian war expert and I have not tried playing the rules and only one scenario comes with the rules. Again without playing but it seems the rules are more designed around an "encounter" games with each side beginning a game controlling one tactical objective in their deployment zone and fighting for control of a third in the middle of the table. It is unclear to me though how to play a purely offense/defense scenario (not uncommon I think in the Franco-Prussian war) where the defender is in set positions and should not be coming out of those to contest a tactical objective in the middle of the board. Would the defender start with control of 2 Tactical objectives? (This then might unbalance the game as presented in the rules).

The good thing is you don't seem to need many figures to get playing (a squad of 14 figures + 2 command) and maybe another squad or 2 to buy in as reinforcements.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
Nice review Goliad,thanks :)