Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:32:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690900
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd attempt at sculpting  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Dr. Pepper

• Assistant
  • Professor of Nonsense
2nd attempt at sculpting
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »
1st attempt did not go well. 2nd attempt present, was an attempt at making some kind of super hero character. I think it is okay for someone with no experience, plus I saw how bad my first try was.  What do you think?

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Re: 2nd attempt at sculpting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »
Well speaking as a chap with two left hands (frequently stuck together with Super Glue) I think thats not a bad first effort at all! The helmet is a bit strange but the body parts look pretty damn anatomical.
I tried making stuff with DAS once - I managed to make a rectangle - almost.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
1st attempt did not go well. 2nd attempt present, was an attempt at making some kind of super hero character. I think it is okay for someone with no experience, plus I saw how bad my first try was.  What do you think?

GRAPEMAN!  DUN DUN DA!!!!!!!!

lol
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
Looks ok for a 2nd attempt characature of a superhero.  If you're looking for feedback (which I assume you are since you asked! ;)) then I'd suggest you might want to compare what your chap looks like to a superhero in a similar pose so that you can start to see for yourself what might be improved.

I think that perhaps his hips and torso could be a little larger as a starting point for improvement - but keep at it Dr. Pepper, its a good start and I think your next few attempts could get better :)

@MCS: Stop sculpting in superglue!  It is not an appropriate sculpting medium! ;)

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »

@MCS: Stop sculpting in superglue!  It is not an appropriate sculpting medium! ;)

Is that where I'm going wrong??  lol lol lol

Offline Dr. Pepper

• Assistant
  • Professor of Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
Here is my 3rd attempt to make a super hero. Not good but better than the last attempt.  Still can not figure out how to do a face.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
Do you use a wireframe or armatures? The mini doesn't look bad at all for a true second try. A good way to do faces is doing them in parts. Start with a small blob, that's what you'll get when starting with prebuilt armatures. Add a chin and cheeks somewhere up to the eyes. Let id dry a bit and add a mouth. This can be done as easy as using a small knife to cut a mouth, pressing it a little into each direction to achive something like lips. Let it dry again. Next add a forehead and or a nose.

Now you'll have a basic face without eyes. That's as far as I got on my second mini. I then added ears, hair a comset and finally mirrorshades, so I have no idea how to sculpt eyes on humanoids. My first mini was a procupinefish-kitten. A mini inspired by the fugu-kitten stuffed animal a friend of mine has... weird idea, weirder mini...

But then again I'm not sure how to classify my attempts. Sure those were my first tries at whole minis, but before I've modifyied minis countless times and tried a lot face sculpting with putty left over from modifying.
Far less active than I used to...