Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Dryden's Frostgrave Thread  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
Sir Dryden's Frostgrave Thread
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »
Hi to all, and a Happy New Year to all.

I wanted to go back to fantasy for a while, so about a year ago, I bought the Frostgrave rules to give me an excuse to paint fantasy figs again. Here's the results so far.

First off, treasure markers.

Top row is "regular" markers, bottom is "special" markers (plus 6 homemade "explosive rune" markers). The treasure chests are from Ristul's Extraordinary Market (and very good too), the rest is made out of Sculpey. I decided to go NMM for all my Frostgrave stuff. I had never tried painting non-mtallic metal before. I'm pretty happy with the end results.

Next, some monsters.

Vampire and Specters/Wraiths (all Reaper). The picture doesn't do justice to the vampire. It's one of the best paint jobs I've ever pulled. The Specters/Wraiths are of the translucent Bones variety. They look like bad effects from the 70's, but they'll do the job.

Reaper Bones Armoured Skeletons and Zombies made from Soldiers and Cultists parts. The Skellies are...meh. I wanted to buy some more of these (with different poses and weapons), but I might just pass. As for the Zombies, they were fun to paint. I like how the skin color ended up looking. Not too bloody, not too rosy, not too rotty.

Reaper Bones Rats, Spiders and Living Statues. Not much to say here. I didn't change a thing on the rats, I just painted them. Ditto for the Spiders ecept I added a homemade base to them. The "dormant" living statues had their column top/stupid hat removed, that's it. I sprinkled some snow on the dormant ones where it would normally fall on a statue to make them look more "immobile".

GIANT! Reaper Bones once again. That was fun to paint. It's a pretty straight paint job. I put a bit of work on the base, replacing the bland one that came with the fig with something I made out of Sculpey. It fits better with the rest of the bases.

As usual, comments are welcome. Coming up later, my first warbands...

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
Re: Sir Dryden's Frostgrave Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:03 AM »
And now my two Warbands. I went with Necromancer and Sigilist to start. I have a Soothsayer warband in the works.

Sigilist, Apprentice, Thief and Knight (all Reaper)

Necromancer, Apprentice, Treasure Hunter and Thief (all Reaper)

Some Henchmen for the previous two.

That's it for now.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:41:02 AM »
Really nice collection here. I love the chests, just cleaned up my set this morning. Will definitely be using yours for inspiration!  :D

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
So much nice stuff here I don't even know where to begin!

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:59:16 AM »
That's some solid work.  Bright colors too, which I really appreciate seeing since a lot of my work keeps falling into the grim and dark.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
 :) fantastic.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »
I agree with the above - great stuff!

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them. I'm not the greatest painter around (especially around here), so the nice comments make my day. I still have a few figs to paint (two dozen or so...), so hopefully I'll post some more stuff in the near future. I'm also working on terrain tiles. They're in various stages of completion but I should be able to post a few progress pics soon.

Frostgrave is my "C" project after my 28mm Star Wars project and my X-Wing stuff, so progress is slow. Keep an eye open for updates, but it could take a while. I'm a notoriously slooooow worker...

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
Excellent work.  That NMM is extremely well done!

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »
Wow ! Nice paintjob and smart choice of minis. Both warband have a nice cohérence. Well donne !

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
really like your painting style and the minis.
the same palette being used for a 'team' works great.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:21:12 PM by Bloggard »

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:18 AM »
I really admire this work...

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 12:34:06 AM »
As mentionned before, I'm working on terrain tiles for Frostgrave. It's still a work in progress and I don't have a finished tile yet, but I'm getting there. I'm using 1/8'' white MPVC as my building material. It's cheap, light, easy to paint and it is a charm to cut/carve. I decided to make 12''x12'' tiles, so 9 of them arranged in a 3x3 square make a board. The fact that they're white makes them hard to photograph, so sorry if the pics are not that clear. Here's a bit of a step-by-step:

Step 1: Draw the main pattern. In this case, a straight grid.

Step 2: Carve the lines. Here's the carved out grid from above and a different pattern for clarity.

Step 3: 1st detailing pass

Step 4: 2nd detailing pass

Step 5: Using various rocks, I pushed some additionnal detailing on the tile. This final step is the main reason I'm using MPVC. It's great for that.

Here's a few variations of the technique, at different stages of completion

I'm also working on various "levels" to break the monotony of the board and add some height to it. They would be modular and stackable. I've only managed to make a single test piece. Here it is.

As usual, comments are welcome.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
Very cool.

What is this MPVC material? I'm not familiar with it...

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »
MPVC is a type of plastic. In my day job, I use it for signage. I believe it's what it's mostly used for. It's part of the pvc family of plastics, but the "m" at beginning stands for "modified", so it's more "foamy". It's available in many thicknesses (sp?) and colors. I bought a 96" x 48" for 30 Canadian dollars, so a little under a dollar per tile. It's really easy to work with though it can't be glued with pva or regular styrene glue like my trusty Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. CA is the only thing I have that'll do the trick, though I'm pretty sure there are pvc adhesives that would do the trick.