Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The case for gw bringing back the tomb kings  (Read 2016 times)

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
The case for gw bringing back the tomb kings
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
I don't know about you all, but my second love in wargaming was dusty skeletons. I've built up a collection of them, and paint them fondly.

After AoS dropped, GW cut the TK line from production. This is a sad state of affairs, as vampires have been done to death in fantasy gaming and the TK offered a unique asthetic.

Personally I think the core skellies just needed a reboot to be in line with the tomb guard, and the range would have sold like hotcakes. Strong core troops, strong monsters, strong heroes.

I want to hear other gamers reasons for/against get bringing back the TK range. What are your thoughts.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The case for gw bringing back the tomb kings
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
One of their best lines - probably the one I would have considered if I played Warhammer Fantasy.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
Its a hole that others are already looking at plugging/making available within their own gaming systems. They were nice, but never got to collecting them myself.

The current "cheap" alternative

Mantic - Empire of Dust specifically comes to mind. It even has "Dust" in the name already.

Like/dislike some of their models, they are doing something.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/empire-of-dust.html

It may not be specifically what your looking for, but as KOW is flexible, and players do use other manufacturer's miniatures to play using their rules, and like some other alternative rules sets provide army lists for creating such forces so...

Maybe GW will bring their own back later, revamp/launch, likely the miniatures will be very good, maybe better than other companies offerings, but probably a lot more expensive in comparison.?

And also at least 3 years away from now according to their own planning cycle if they have not been looking at it already?

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
Apparently the new "Malign Portents" campaign at GW heralds the return of Nagash - and with him presumably his dusty hordes...?

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »
Its a hole that others are already looking at plugging/making available within their own gaming systems. They were nice, but never got to collecting them myself.

The current "cheap" alternative

Mantic - Empire of Dust specifically comes to mind. It even has "Dust" in the name already.

Like/dislike some of their models, they are doing something.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/empire-of-dust.html

It may not be specifically what your looking for, but as KOW is flexible, and players do use other manufacturer's miniatures to play using their rules, and like some other alternative rules sets provide army lists for creating such forces so...

Maybe GW will bring their own back later, revamp/launch, likely the miniatures will be very good, maybe better than other companies offerings, but probably a lot more expensive in comparison.?

And also at least 3 years away from now according to their own planning cycle if they have not been looking at it already?

I actually play kings of war already and have a sizeable amount of EoD. They have their own flavor.

I don't know, maybe 10 years of tomb kings has grounded thier concept an asthetic into a separate mouldfor me

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »
Apparently the new "Malign Portents" campaign at GW heralds the return of Nagash - and with him presumably his dusty hordes...?

I hold out hope, but am concerned it will be an expansion of vampire counts esque from shadespire

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
I started Warhammer with an undead army. Skeletons, zombies, mummies, carrion, vampire, liche, etc. When they split the book into two I went with the vampire counts strand, always seemed to fit the world better to my mind. The Tomb Kings (and lizardmen) never really fit the world for me. I never really thought that the TK added anything that the VC didn't already have - the huge constructs towards the end were unique, but the dusty old skellies were just the same as their moist VC cousins.

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
I started Warhammer with an undead army. Skeletons, zombies, mummies, carrion, vampire, liche, etc. When they split the book into two I went with the vampire counts strand, always seemed to fit the world better to my mind. The Tomb Kings (and lizardmen) never really fit the world for me. I never really thought that the TK added anything that the VC didn't already have - the huge constructs towards the end were unique, but the dusty old skellies were just the same as their moist VC cousins.

I always thought the difference was in the lore flavor, and how tomb kings are not truly evil, just true neutral or chaotic good (tyrannical, wanting to restore thier empire) undead.

I felt the concept of neutral or good. Undead was unique and cool.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
One of the good things about Age of Sigmar is that GW doesn't need to release entire armies, so it isn't that unlikely that we might see a few Tomb King-esque units in the future.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
The last iteration of TK entailed a number of new kits that are completely in line with the scale of AoS. TK will almost certainly return and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened this year. What's holding this faction back is new standard infantry. GW is so damned successful these days, they probably just don't have the capacity to fit TK into their release schedule. Let's hope some of those mega profits from 2017 into greater production capacity.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 03:18:40 AM »
I'd like GW to just go back to Undead rather than the split they made a while ago. I remember having an army with Arkahn the Black and various vampires altogether, mummies, skeletons and zombies and all.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
So that is actually the structure of AoS, which is organized factionally around high concept "Grand Alliances." One of these Grand Alliances is Death. And Nagash and his lieutenant Arkhan as well as the vampires, and presumably the Tomb King, are all sub-factions in that alliance.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
Well then I really hope they do bring back the Tomb Kings!

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
So that is actually the structure of AoS, which is organized factionally around high concept "Grand Alliances." One of these Grand Alliances is Death. And Nagash and his lieutenant Arkhan as well as the vampires, and presumably the Tomb King, are all sub-factions in that alliance.

No actual TAK yet. One shred of possible mention in the fluff, otherwise no.

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
Leave GW.  Play Reaper miniatures Warlord game and use their Nefsokar faction.  Fun game, beautiful models.