Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Glory No Man's Land WWI Range -- opinions, please?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Blount

• Student
Old Glory No Man's Land WWI Range -- opinions, please?
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
As the subject says, I'm interested in opinions about OG's WWI range. Specifically, I'm interested in the overall quality of the sculpts and how they compare in size to Brigade Games WWI line. With respect to both quality and size, comparisons with OG's Pershing in Mexico figure range would be helpful (as I have several packs of those minis). I've also got some of Lon's WWI line and like them quite a lot--hence, my interest in how OG compare to BG.

Any opinions--but, of course, especially informed ones--will be much appreciated!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old Glory No Man's Land WWI Range -- opinions, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
I have some of the Germans from that range and they are somewhat smaller than Brigade and not at all as good from a design point of view. I have many packs from the Pershing range and they are bigger and better than the No mans land range. I see no reason to buy them when there are so many good WW1 ranges on the market:

-Brigade
-Renegade (currently very nice prices)
-Great War Miniatures
-Woodbine
-Copplestone
-Pulp miniatures
-Battle Honours (last in the above ranking IMHO)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
 I only bought the Germans and the French- and have long since sold them at a B&B-
Some of the Germans aren't all that bad, but most suffer from enormous lower legs and the typical 'Hey Johnny' heads.
The French are best avoided.

Certainly nothing like the really good casts from Brigade, Woodbine or Great War.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
Sadly, I must concur with the opinions of colleagues here. I do like their Pershing range for what it is, but the WW1 stuff, although one of their better ranges, is very hit or miss.

We have a saying in the States among wargamers: with Old Glory, you generally get what you pay for.
At the very least, be prepared for bizarre poses, miscasts, broken weapons (bayonets, rifles, lances, swords where applicable), weakly cast standards, etc.

Even if you can deal with all this, the effort required to trim off massive amounts of flash, replace weapons, bend guys back into shape, sort through useless poses, etc, generally means that you've just spent any money you've saved in terms of time and effort.

Now, some of the newer ranges are better, and I still like some of their Ancients (I have a fondness for their Late Romans in leather armor); the old Alsop stuff (particularly the Marlburian range) is also quite good. BUT, when you can do better, by all means do so, especially as some of the other ranges are nicer, and not much more expensive.

On a side note, I have not seen their Austro-Hungarian WW1 figs, so can't comment on them, but the other stuff is definitely average at best. It's also worth noting that their official website is now "oldglory25s.com", NOT "Oldgloryminiatures.com", which is an alternate site, and doesn't have all ranges listed (though it does, bizarrely, have most of the photos).

I'll also say that their scenery, ships, etc.. are actually very good. (The buildings are awesome.) It's the metal figures that I (and most) have a problem with.

-Doc

Offline Blount

• Student
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
Traveller, WillieB, and Doc:

Thanks very much!

Doug