Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm pirate ships  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
28mm pirate ships
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
This year I'm going to finally get to grips with my Blood and Plunder stuff and I want to get a few ships. The Fireflock games ones look very nice and not too badly priced for their quality but I was wondering what ranges people recommend? I know Ainsty do some and then there are minimi, which I am particularly interested in due to their price! I can buy two of their sloops for the price of one from the other manufacturers. Are they ok or is it a false economy?

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Re: 28mm pirate ships
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
In my opinion Ainsty is the best of the lot.  They are heavy though.  Firelocks are nice and much lighter.
Dont know much about the other company, but if  you want high quality go with Ainsty.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:18:45 PM »
I can echo that re Ainsty plus they tend to have more detailing with the white metal anchor and rigging tackle.  But looking at the minimum prices, they look good value. 

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:21 PM »
If you haven't checked it out yet, there's a lovely sticky thread on this very board:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24456.0

I've seen the Ainsty ships at hand and they're lovely. I know many people swear by Games of War ships too. http://www.gamesofwar.net/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
Ach yes sorry. Ill take a look.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
Theya re all very good, but the Games of War ships are particularly nice.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »
IMHO, half the fun of Pirate Wargaming is converting toy ships into game models!  :D

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »
Have a look at my compiled list of tabletop ship manufacturers here:
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.de/2008/10/setting-sail-collecting-ships-for.html

Personally, I think the ships from Games of War are the best by far (and I also have Ainsty, Firelock Games and Old Glory for comparison). Their material and casting quality as well as detail and size is superior to everything else I have seen.

I still need to finish the sails on the GoW British Cutter and then I will post a review of the model on my blog. Here's a sneak preview of the model so far:

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
This russian paper model looks good. Its a little bit pricy but 276 parts is a lot

http://russia-best.com/product/galleon-card-model-kit/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
I agree with all of the above.

The Ainsty vessels are superb, as are the GoW vessels too.  The Firelock vessels look very nice as well, and look right for the period.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

The GoW longboat and jollyboat have unbelievable detailing at a very attractive price, which includes free shipping to the USA, if you meet their low, minimum purchase requirement.  I can't recommend them enough, and want to purchase a few more, as the naval budget permits.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:51 AM »
For my 28mm pirate collection I went with repurposed toy ships that were originally marketed with the release of the different Pirates of the Caribbean films ( 2 versions of the Black Pearl and one of the Queen Anne's Revenge).  I got mine at the swap meet/broken or discarded toys.  Most required a bit of repair and modification work, but once done they worked really well with my 28mm pirate figures.  You can see my ships in the gallery section of my website (scroll down the middle column of photo galleries/5 galleries down).  My Pirate Gallery is identified by name and a picture (click on the Pirate Gallery picture and scroll down to the second half of the Pirate Gallery... 76 pictures in that gallery).  My website address is www.warin15mm.com
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:34:49 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:36 AM »
For my 28mm pirate collection I went with repurposed toy ships that were originally marketed with the release of the different Pirates of the Caribbean films ( 2 versions of the Black Pearl and one of the Queen Anne's Revenge).  I got mine at the swap meet/broken or discarded toys.  Most required a bit of repair and modification work, but once done they worked really well with my 28mm pirate figures.  You can see my ships in the gallery section of my website (scroll down the middle column of photo galleries/5 galleries down).  My Pirate Gallery is identified by name and a picture (click on the Pirate Gallery picture and scroll down to the second half of the Pirate Gallery... 76 pictures in that gallery).  My website address is www.warin15mm.com

On an unrelated note, where did you get those spanish galleons in 15mm for your Aztec project?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:58 AM »
The ships in my 15mm Aztec collection are Revell models... the Santa Maria.  I cut the hulls so they would sit flat on the water.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »
Sir Theo, I just noticed that the last of the sailing ship on cianty's photo listing is one of the Black Pearls in my collection.  I believe Disney made two versions of the Black Pearl that can be repurposed to work with 28mm.  The one that cianty shows was marketed with the first or second Pirates of the Caribbean film.  The second version of the Black Pearl, which I also have and is shown in my gallery was marketed with the third Pirates of the Caribbean film, and the Queen Anne's Revenge which is a very large ship, but still works with 28s if the deck is raised was marketed with the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film.  They are really outstanding ships.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:05:21 AM »
Sir Theo,

I think it's fair to say that cainty's list is quite a honest and informed list.(which I found a really interesting read.) There's also some good advice bouncing around on here.

I'd proffer some additional food for thought.
you shouldn't just go for the prettiest or the most accurate. For me what's more important to consider is..
Budget,storage (length and more importantly height.), the number of thumbs you and the people you normally game with have.
In other words how clumsy are you and your opponents. Because there's nothing more snag, and knock worthy on a table than a sailing ship.
So ease of repair is always an issue for me.

I made these well over fifteen years ago,and all my kids have played with them,from about three or four years old.
They don't actually get used as gaming models much as even all this time they still get the Michael taken out of them down my local club.

As for the Russia-best galleon, its around $35(us). I've an order placed for the Dow,and a Junk.with p&p it came in around $26,($18 for the two boats) which worked out at Ł18 .For me that wasn't too much of a hit for a test purchase.
Mark.