Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Corso's Punic Wars  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
Corso's Punic Wars
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
An attempt to stop acting like a butterfly and do an army properly. :D

My aim is to do a Carthaginian army for Hail Caesar. I had tried to do it time ago, but without much enthusiasm.  Focusing on a single project is not easy for me, I get easily distracted.

However, I rekindled my interest in the punic wars last summer. During a heat wave in August I joined a trekking group, and crawling on hands and knees reached Carthaginian remains in a cliffside area known as Ras ir-Raħeb. It is an abandoned building where statues of Tanith and Melqart were found years ago and with stunning sunset views (Pict 1).  It wasn’t hard to imagine carthaginian vessels in the sea, priests in the temple of Melqart and so on.

Besides, this year marks the 22century anniversary of the conquest of Malta by the Romans at the start of the second punic war 218BC.

On the hobby side, a Carthaginian army is a diverse force, with troops from across the western Mediterranean and beyond– I won’t be bored doing such an eclectic army.

So I started with a bang – a war elephant. My wife gave me the kit as a birthday present and spent days on it. It was fun to do, though it wasn’t easy because I had to attach the LBMS transfers before painting. For basing I used local fields as a reference beside Tunisian and Sardinian landscapes.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: Corso's Punic Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »
That is just fantastic!

It certainly helps when you visit places associated with the army you're building. Very inspiring pictures.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
Really! Visiting historical places triggers your imagination and help you enter into the atmosphere!
Your painting is awesome, very well done! Good luck to your project!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Online Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
That's a lovely model, and I feel the same about the diverse nature of the Carthaginian forces. Is the pattern on the howdah cloth painted on or is that a transfer as well?
Either way along with the basing it sets the figure off a treat :)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
Great model. I just finished mine yesterday. Pictures to come shortly, but I am still strugling to find a replacement for photobucket.

All the best with your Carthaginian army.

Cheer
Erik

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
Wow, Corso, fantastic elephant. Really nice paint job.

did you say that you're building a Hail Caesar army.... and you're not done yet???? :D

Seriously, that's an undertaking. But from the looks of the first piece, it should be a beautiful project.

Focusing on a single project is not easy for me, I get easily distracted.

I know how you feel, brother, I know how you feel...
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys 8)

Richard - Yes, HC requires a lot of miniatures but it's a great game to play so well worth the effort. Especially from a butterfly like myself lol

Erik - looking forward for your nelly

Jeff - the howdah tabard is a transfer too

Dinthedin/Irregular Wars - such places are great for inspiration. It wasn't easy for that ruins, heatwave at 40C+ and the return was on my own since the trekking group went elsewhere and I had to find the way back before complete darkness (no electric light in that area) - utter madness lol :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:08:42 PM by Corso »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
That is a fantastic first model for your Carthaginian army, the colours are very vibrant.  Also a nice touch to use the local colours on your model's base.

I look forward to seeing more as my wargaming buddy is also building a Carthaginian army to match my Republican Roman one, also set in mind with Hail Ceasar.  

You can't go wrong with the Victrix Punic war models and with the Gauls just about to arrive you have started at the perfect time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:18:32 AM by Hu Rhu »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »

Dinthedin/Irregular Wars - such places are great for inspiration. It wasn't easy for that ruins, heatwave at 40C+ and the return was on my own since the trekking group went elsewhere and I had to find the way back before complete darkness (no electric light in that area) - utter madness lol :D

...but God's will was to live to paint another day  lol
Eager to see more of your fine paintjobs! Cheers!

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »
A lovely way to start off your Project! 8) 8)

Christopher

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
Nice job with the elephant.
I am not going to try to match you with a rival army as I could never focus on one project for long enough.  :D

If you want more inspiring scenery during heat waves you can join us on fieldwork in July; only trouble is you'll be going the opposite direction: it's a Roman site.  >:D

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback :D

Hu Rhu - yes, victrix have a fine range for the punic wars and like you am waiting for the celts to enlist!

Vanvlak - I may take your offer, remember my army was made up of mercenaries so open the coffers and I'll join lol lol lol lol

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »
Excellent work!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback :D

Hu Rhu - yes, victrix have a fine range for the punic wars and like you am waiting for the celts to enlist!

Vanvlak - I may take your offer, remember my army was made up of mercenaries so open the coffers and I'll join lol lol lol lol
We would have you digging under the sun, mind you.  :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
Stunning

I just ordered Numidians including elephants.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984