Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Twelve days to Frostgrave  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
Twelve days to Frostgrave
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »
After leaving miniatures for half a year, my nephew looked at my rulebooks collection and asked me to try Frostgrave. The book was here since a year or two, all new and still smelling fresh ink. A rendez-vous was given for a test game twelve days later. And I'm not equipped for this kind of scenery. In 28mm.
I will annoy you with boring pictures of my work in progress. A motivation for me (to work hard, not to annoy you).

Yesterday was day 1. Only done some 3D printing.

Day 2

The paint workbench was littered with billions (rough estimation) of paint pots and miscellaneous stuff. Launch a print, then use an hour to displace stuff from the table to another place. After the successful cleaning operation, an amount of 20 cm by 20 cm was obtained between mountains of various things. Enough for a base coat work.

A few hours (and a cheese fondue) after, the first batch of printed parts is covered with guesso. I paint slower than a slug – alas not the 12 gauge kind but more like the snail kind.

A quick reading of the Frostgrave rule and a new problem: each miniature is treated as an RPG NPC: Health points, items in the inventory, skills…. Hard to keep track of statistics for ten figures, while having the memory of a dead mammoth.

A small Blender session, a test print, and voilà! The basing base to stick under the base…… Add a little tape, and each figure have it’s name on it. Un-stick the basing base to use the figure normally. Maybe a change in the base allowing to snap a little paper in a groove would be more practical.
Cheers

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
Re: Twelve days to Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Pretty impressive bunch of 3D printing.  Are these files of your own design or from websites?

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Pretty impressive bunch of 3D printing.  Are these files of your own design or from websites?

They come from websites, as I haven't the skills for now to do such things. Working now on Blender, trying to model a set of ruins like those made with MDF, but the 3D print allow more relief and details. If I succeed, there will be pictures of it. Maybe in one week.
Some pictures of my homework are on my blog under the menu "Rubrique en Vrac" --- "Workbench" --- 3D Printer.

Best regards

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
 ;) cool terrain set!!!

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
12 days challenge

Fourth day today. Not much done, only a few bits painted yesterday, and ruins today. The worst painting quality I ever achieved. Look good with a bad sight, without glasses and eyes closed. Fortunately, numeric cameras largely enhance things.  :D

Not read the rules now, but I painted the expeditions camps and some ruins. Spend some money and time in 2016 for thoses 3D printers. No money now to buy beautiful scenery - so all those painted things are are made of corn sirup  ;D

First picture: part of the camps

Picture two: the ruined part of the city. Low quality prints, the layers are obvious on the ruined wall (printed too fast, bad coasting setting and print bed badly home tuned). My goal is to have two ruined round towers (print nearly finished), two square towers (one more to print), a tavern (printed last year - never painted), and modular ruined houses with multiple floors

Cheers

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
Time is running out, more scenery to paint for filling the gaps in the city. I was planning to print and paint a few golems, but only one printed so far, and not yet painted. Only three days remaining, it could be a good thing to seriously read the rules. I had a lot of printed stone houses pieces, but I'm very disappointed. Only three ruined house when assembled.
I plan to do some "presets" for two identical bands: A mage and apprentice, an archer, five rogues each. Add a few squeletons, wolves and rats as inhabitants of the place.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Dont forget scrubbing pad hedges, polystyrene rocks and piles of stones :) nice and easy gap fillers and line of sight stoppers.
Quick and easy to make/paint if you're pushed for time .

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »
Dont forget scrubbing pad hedges, polystyrene rocks and piles of stones Smiley nice and easy gap fillers and line of sight stoppers.
Quick and easy to make/paint if you're pushed for time .

Thanks for the idea  :), I should have some slate rocks somewhere.

Main scenery finished. I was in despair last week as work wasn't showing sign of advance, then everything was suddenly painted. Lazy painted: A heavy coat of guesso for canvas - mixed with black plaint, for the purpose of hiding print lines. The heavy brush with Warm Grey and voilà! Not more. First time I'm so paint-lazy since my childhood.  :D

I present you my take on Feldsadt. First, the camps. One for each band. You wouldn't go in a frozen ruined city without luggages.

Tallin in Estonia was mentioned as the source of Feldstadt, looked at some picture of the old town. Narrow alleys with passage under buildings, very common in central Europe. I tried to catch a glimpse of it.

And an overall view of the area

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »
You are right ... it is annoying!

But mostly to see your progress!  :o
That is very cool stuff here! Nicely painted!

I especially like your walls and passages! Where did you get these layouts, you say?
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
That's a very nice collection of terrain - I envy you being able to play on it!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
 :o looks fantastic!

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
You say it's awful painted but it's a heck of a lot better than unpainted and I think your are being hard on yourself. For 12 days it's quite some achievement IMO. Looks pretty good to me.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
@Drachenklinge
The modular houses, tents and carts are from Fat Dragon, towers and battlement from Printable Scenery. Already printed those for 15mm.

@jp1885
That's a very nice collection of terrain - I envy you being able to play on it!
Thank you. I am very evil and so I invite you to visit this, played in 15mm, actual pictures of the game with real lightshow and sound (evil laughing  ;D ) https://teardropworlds.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/honey-bees-part-4-in-the-hall-of-the-mountain-king/
Our next Frostgrave should be like the following link, with added snow and ruins (more hysterical evil laugh) https://teardropworlds.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/jdm2panorama.jpg

Well, saturday was the Frostgrave day. A cursed day. First, the power unit of my computer burned. Only repaired today. Then, it was colder than the previous week and the gaming room isn't well heated. It was snowing outside. Total ambiance, no beers this time but only hot Irish coffee. No pictures of the meeting, they are all too blurry and we forgot to take regular snapshot.
The game? Awful. Horrible.

Our Mage:
My nephew played as Ulthor le Décomposé (Ulthor the Decomposed) - a Necromancer, followed by the apprentice Disciple Servile
Audemars du Temps Perdu (Audemars Lost in Time) - a Chronomancer - followed by apprentice Melba the Ambitious.
We quickly learned the rules, but our mages had not learned their spells. They all failed, even the easier. Only our apprentice were successful, but then each was killed by the other mage. Almost a draw. He lost his apprentice and one soldier, I lost my apprentice and two soldiers (one of them unlawfully pushed from a height - a deadly fall). Not a lot of clashes, but we feared for our crewmen. The last time we enjoyed to keep alive our minis was in Legend of the High Seas.
My nephew want to continue further, and we plan to play it in 15mm, in a bigger town, more houses, more ruins. Next step: Ghost Archipelago.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
shame you didn't enjoy the game (?!).

but blimey, 3d printing is changing everything isn't it - your terrain is fantastic (and now people are already criticising [as per your comments on one of the towers] what are pretty much imperceptible 'defects'  from game-playing distance ...  lol ... I'd be more than happy with it).

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »
We enjoyed the game  ;) , easy to learn - with an astonishing narrative in-depth, even without specific scenario! But our mages were of a magnificent uselessness. Worst mages ever. How can a mage fail a spell test of 8? Each turn!

And yes, 3D print is a game changer. I couldn't scratchbuild all this scenery in two weeks. The two weeks was only the painting time (and time was too short to paint the Tavern). The other advantage is a low risk of bloody punctured cuts, but only clean burns with the printing head. Perfect for lazy and clumsy people  lol .