Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How To Paint and Base 6mm WW2: Cinematic 6mm  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
How To Paint and Base 6mm WW2: Cinematic 6mm
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
Blog with tutorial: http://amsterdam6shooters.nl/node/1131
"On many internet paint blog pictures it was hard too see the difference between a 6mm Axis and an Allied unit.

Besides, WW2-basing looked static, Napoleonic in fact: the miniatures are centered or evenly spread out on a base, and standing in line. In Hollywood and my favorite video games, soldiers run for cover.

I don't want to sound derogatory. If you want your miniatures to 'blend in' I understand. But I respectfully disagree. I want my 6mm-miniatures to stand out, even in this camouflage war. Recognizable - just as my 6mm-Old Guard or my Black Brunswickers.

So instead of a more conventional approach I experimented with brighter-than-normal earth colours, as much colour distinction between the uniforms as historically possible, and a scenic 'cinematic' basing. My 6mm soldiers kneel, hide and runn behind scenery. I use signs and of course decals. I made diorama bases to get a gritty Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan/Return to Castle Wolfenstein-look, clearly visible from a meter distance, like below.

Finally I wrote this instructable. Content:

which vehicles to buy: GHQ or something cheaper?
which infantry to buy?
basing system; why you should use a logical universal basing system for 6mm?
painting: how to exaggerate the minimal uniform colour differences
decals: tedious, but don't hesitate, Just Do It!!
Spielbergian basing: how to make more individual bases with miniatures hiding between ruins, houses, oil drums and walls with propaganda posters
final words: difference between 6mm Napoleonic an WW2 painting projects

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:24:06 AM by Leftblank »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: How To Paint and Base 6mm WW2: Cinematic 6mm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
An interesting approach - but personally I think you are taking some parts too far, and moving away from historical figures and vehicles.

The bits that look 'wrong' to me are:
Oversize scenic elements. The giant german flag and the giant signs, just look wrong, like elements that are a different scale to the figures. They just don't fit with the figures.

Oversize decals and these being placed in incorrect positions - allied starts on the glacis plate of tanks, german crosses on the tops of vehicles

The over bright colours - especially the really bright green on the german tanks.

I do like what you are doing with the infantry basing to break up the standard everyone in a line. And making the bases look different colour wise is a good way of making the two forces look different.

But, sorry, the overall effect dosen't work for me.

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
Re: How To Paint and Base 6mm WW2: Cinematic 6mm
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
Indeed. Clear difference and tabletop drama is more important than historical correctness.
I think I would be more historical correct with a bigger scale or a different era. My 6mm Napoleonic armies are quite correct although of course a bit brighter than when painted in 28mm. In 15mm or even 10mm WW2 its easier to spot details so I wouldn't (over)emphasize colour differences and symbols, thcien.
My 'cinematic' 6mm is more an emulation of historical colours and units than a truly historical 6mm copy.
Yesterday I took it to the extreme. My standard SS-troops are fairly correct Erbsenmuster camouflaged 6mm infantry. Not my commander. You see, a 'historically correct' SS commander would probably be a war criminal and nazi fanatic. So my CiC is a cartoon nazi: a Nazi Zombie SS commander in chief, big pulp poster in the background, standing in a graveyard. The proud boss of an evil dark force, unforgettable on the tabletop.
Heresy. But fun.