Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689634
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] John Carter of Mars Miniatures & Game  (Read 2987 times)

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
[Kickstarter] John Carter of Mars Miniatures & Game
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
The John Carter of Mars Kickstarter - Adventures On The Dying World of Barsoom https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game/description is unlocking a lot of 32mm scale multi-part resin miniatures alongside the RPG. These are aimed at collectors, RPG fans but also to go with the planned Swords of Mars skirmish game which uses a stripped down version of the RPG rules. Here's a few of the unlocked sets we'vre unlocked so far and there's a lot more to come. John Carter has been a passion of mine since I discovered the books in my grandfather's second hand bookstore and ever since I've dreamed of creating a truly inspiring range of minis and a game line. We're also funding the RPG and later on we plan to produce a boardgame too.

Once we have funded the miniatures we plan to fund a line of geormorphic map tiles - both ships, ruins and palaces to set your adventures in.
www.modiphius.com
Achtung! Cthulhu - Terrifying WW2 Roleplaying Setting
ONE WAR - New miniatures system for Achtung! Cthulhu

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
Re: [Kickstarter] John Carter of Mars Miniatures & Game
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »
Thanks a lot!

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »
The forthcoming goal to unlock the Swords of Mars miniatures rules will also include a guide to ship to ship battles. This will utilise the planned ship deck plans which you can actually move around the tabletop as ships, with the miniatures leaping across for boarding actions whilst you try to take out the enemy ships with your batteries.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game/

Here's a scale image showing the humans up to the Tharks at 70mm.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
Too bad these are resin. I will have to pass.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
For example I was delighted when Knight model switched to resin, lighter better to build than metal.
So I am happy with resin.

What is your concern with resin?
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
For example I was delighted when Knight model switched to resin, lighter better to build than metal.
So I am happy with resin.

What is your concern with resin?

Anytime I have bought resin models I have had issues. The first being the constant need for major flash removal. The second being that no matter what type of glue I have tried, it takes forever for the pieces to glue together. The third being that the resin has been brittle and easily broken. And lastly there is no weight to the minis which makes them easy to knock over which leads back to issues two and three when I have had to try and fix them. I prefer more durable playing pieces that do not require as much of my hobby time. I have limited time to assemble, paint, and play. I prefer miniatures that are already assembled and ready to paint right out of the box. I would probably prefer metals over plastics if it wasn't for all the paint chipping I have encountered when working with metal minis.

All the reasons above are probably why my go to games are The Walking Dead All Out War, Dust 1947, and games with similar miniatures. I can play right out of the box or I can easily sit down and paint them without needing a bunch of prep or assembly.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
OK, got it!

I always liked the most quality in minis, Mantics WD is OK, but most bendy restic is IMO not.
However, in my opinion even the Walking Dead minis needs preparations, most of the time you have minor mold line etc.
So if you want a quality mini, you can't shy away from resin or a variant of it.

The Modiphius resin is IIRC from Prodos.
So the same light slightly bendy quality as AvP. For me more or less the best of both worlds, holds detail, is strong and not brittle.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »
OK, got it!

I always liked the most quality in minis, Mantics WD is OK, but most bendy restic is IMO not.
However, in my opinion even the Walking Dead minis needs preparations, most of the time you have minor mold line etc.
So if you want a quality mini, you can't shy away from resin or a variant of it.

The Modiphius resin is IIRC from Prodos.
So the same light slightly bendy quality as AvP. For me more or less the best of both worlds, holds detail, is strong and not brittle.

Actually we're making all our resin at CMA in the UK who previously made the Hawk Wargames resin figures - it's very high quality, little if any cleanup required, we always suggest using superglue. it's an amazing quality resin that looks like a plastic but still has the sculpting potential of resin. We've had some great reviews already and there's more coming

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
We just added some 3d turnarounds to the miniatures page - click here https://www.modiphius.com/john-carter-miniatures.html

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »

Too bad these are resin AND don't even remotely have the quality of the sculpts of Tin Man and Bronze Age miniatures!  lol

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
I like the Woola figure a lot!

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »
We've revealed some of the 3d prints in the latest update (excuse the bluetack holding them together they need to go to the factory next in parts) - there's more in the update as well
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2105339

and a new John Carter sculpt:

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Hi there I've shown off a scale image that shows how big the Beasts of Barsoom are:

The £150 / $200 Swords of Mars Miniatures collection is now worth £294 / $391, almost double it's value. Here's the whole collection so far:

Here's some more 3d prints:

Hope you'll join us!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game/