Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mdf Desert Building For Pulp.(yes mdf not cereal packet)  (Read 4551 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mdf Desert Building For Pulp.(yes mdf not cereal packet)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 11:13:38 PM »
Doodler,
You do know that reads like your asking for modelling advice from a six year old😉
No joking aside this foam clay is marketed as being used by kids to completely cover forms or household object and toys.
It doesn't need  additional adhesive ,as its in a sort of pva snot.Just pull a little bit our of the tub, stick it in the box,prod it into a shape your happy with,leave it over night(says 24hrs on the tub) job done.
You'll achieve a stronger bond on to raw mdf,and card . As they absorb a little of the adhesive in the foam clay.

Shahbahraz, I like the over all feel you've achieved,and I especially like the addition of the well. As adds to the 'story telling' of the piece.
If I may suggest the addition of a wooden cover on the inside of the will . A simple dick of balsa scored to look as if its constructed of planks with(or without) a small square in the middle to represent a hatch.
Just that extra zone of colour all be it old wood will lift your work even further.
Plus it lends its self to being more than a well (once the centre is hidden.) a hidden entrance for example.(Three kings springs to mind.).
Another option would be to add a simple counter weighed bucket hoist.  Which could be positioned to subtly support and strengthen the palm tree .

Cod,
I recommend using a combination grout and adhesive. Bit stronger and less likely to crack with age.
The nice touch is it takes subtle washes which will give better depth of colour than a pre coloured grout.

Mark.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:20 PM »
I feel no shame. I was being taught all sorts of genuine facts about dinosaurs by my three year old nephew.

Nice - definitely going to give those things a go.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
Shahbahraz, I like the over all feel you've achieved,and I especially like the addition of the well. As adds to the 'story telling' of the piece.
If I may suggest the addition of a wooden cover on the inside of the will . A simple dick of balsa scored to look as if its constructed of planks with(or without) a small square in the middle to represent a hatch.
Just that extra zone of colour all be it old wood will lift your work even further.
Plus it lends its self to being more than a well (once the centre is hidden.) a hidden entrance for example.(Three kings springs to mind.).
Another option would be to add a simple counter weighed bucket hoist.  Which could be positioned to subtly support and strengthen the palm tree .

I do like the idea of a counter-weighted hoist, and a cover, after all in the desert, evaporation would be an issue. Must go hunt some photographs for inspiration.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Renfield

• Lurker
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
Greetings all
How nice did these buildings turn out? Great job must be a pleasure
To 'move your little men around them' (as my dear wife would say)
Bless her
 lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Doodler
Don't tell anyone but without my six year old I can't work Netflix 😄

Renfield

It's for number three Son. So I'll doubt I'll do more than store it. He walks into my workshop and opens with 'what have WE got that I can use for.'
And welcome to the madhouse.

Shah,

Here's a couple of options,Id recommend you try to find older images as they're more likely to give you a Pulp feel.

Mark.