Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691287
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster  (Read 14459 times)

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
Re: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »
I think Mayhem is one game that does that really well. It uses an "overdrive" mechanic so that the same unit can be repeatedly activated in the same turn, but at a high cost in command points (it gets progressively more expensive to activate the same unit). So if you want to pull off a flanking manoeuvre with your wolfriders (or whatever), you can go all out and have them race down the flank far faster than the rest of your army. That makes for a really dynamic game.

i agree and I like the polyhedral dice system where you can take the average (4) of say your d8 combat stat or roll it - maybe you'll get a 5-8 result.
www.modiphius.com
Achtung! Cthulhu - Terrifying WW2 Roleplaying Setting
ONE WAR - New miniatures system for Achtung! Cthulhu

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 03:23:17 AM »
Any good project really takes at least a year but realistically 18months to deliver a product line including a well tested game with community support, etc etc. Now we could be playtesting something sooner of course. Just takes time to get shiny boxes full of cool stuff developed.

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be happy to help test it out.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
Love the pics Fred - nothing like playing a truly big game - i'm always one for putting *everything* on the table :-0

Thanks- if only it was everything. At least the elves were pretty much all of my elves on the table.

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Replying to follow the topic.

Trying to get back to gaming. With Mayhem. No success so far.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »
Well a sunday afternoon that should have been spent mostly working on end of quarter reports was sideswiped by some particularly cool ideas for the project which I've been writing up since. This is partly linked to my solo quest to find or figure out a ruleset that gives you that feeling of being part of a bigger battle or controlling the enemy ai such that it's pursuing the objectives.

I'm going to try another game of Mayhem and Mortem et Gloriam - I actually tried the same battle with both systems oh and also Hordes & Heroes Fantasy - has anyone tried that? It's designed for hex based terrain but I decided to simply convert the measurements to inches.

I'm also looking at plastics production - Battlefront have been moving a lot of their 15mm figures in to pvc plastic sprues which could work for regiment lines where massed ranks are important. Meanwhile metal is still good of course and great for providing a lot of variety

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:44 AM »
That battlefront pvc stuff is reasonably good, but would it translate to a smaller scale? The detail is already a little soft at 15mm.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »
That battlefront pvc stuff is reasonably good, but would it translate to a smaller scale? The detail is already a little soft at 15mm.

Maybe - a lot of factories are doing hardened pvc now which holds more detail (but us a little less flexible making more unusual poses harder to produce without lots of parts). Would need some testing of course and we can ask the factory to show us what they have made at smaller scales to see what's possible. There's always metal or resin in the meantime.

In reality the manufacturing is a relatively easy puzzle to solve given time, the fun bit will be the system that takes us on a journey beyond mere battles (though they have to be great) and matching it with a great universe.

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
In reality the manufacturing is a relatively easy puzzle to solve given time, the fun bit will be the system that takes us on a journey beyond mere battles (though they have to be great) and matching it with a great universe.

Sounds simple enough!  lol

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
Ah! :-) Not really at the moment (though there are a few options and I'd also like to do our own IP which we have a concept for), I'm more interested in finding the right rules and if we can't find them, then create them. That said I had a eureka moment last night so we'll see... I was up late writing up a frenzy of notes :-)

So this question came up - there's not enough big monsters for 10mm out there - what would you like to see?

As mentioned previously the IP you already own ie John Carter. No big monsters but lots of big battles and lovely ships.
I haven't been tempted at all by the 32mm kickstarter but go for 10 or even better 15mm and I will be there.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:43 AM »
As mentioned previously the IP you already own ie John Carter. No big monsters but lots of big battles and lovely ships.
I haven't been tempted at all by the 32mm kickstarter but go for 10 or even better 15mm and I will be there.

I think the issue is having enough variety of units at that scale, though I'd love to do airship boarding actions (which is why we're doing it in the 32mm scale using the tiles), but having lots of smaller ships would be cool

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2018, 05:42:07 AM »
So after a couple of weeks of musing, are you any closer to working out what you want to do?

Offline warchariot

• Bookworm
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but my group loves the idea of massed battle 10mm! We came full circle back to WM after about 12 years away from it a few months back, but felt it wasn't for us. We then found Mayhem and have been remounting units. I'll put a few pictures up after our next game.

As for what I would like to see in this scale, how about Starship Troopers :D :D :D
Larry

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2018, 02:29:51 AM »
Also late to the party. I love the Warmaster figures and the Warmaster game is one of the few GW games I like. I think it's great. I was gung-ho for Warmaster a decade or so ago when blisters could be had for $3-6 on Ebay. I was ready to get several armies, and I'd limit my 28mm collection to a warband for each Warhammer faction. The first army up was Chaos, and I wanted to make a mark with a theme, so chose Nurgle based on the lists in the Lost and the Damned. In addition to the troops I got wagons to make a great calvalcade and a bunch of 25-30 mm monsters to make into spawn and other creatures.

I painted up a starting force, save for the knights, which I never got to. Had some fun, but I got burned out converting 100 empire flagellants into diseased flagellants and painting them all (count as Marauders). 10mm proved to be even more work/inch than 28mm figures. I didn't get the savings I needed to make it worth it. I left the project with some great WIP stuff in a box. I stratch-sculpted this great unclean one (after a Stephen Tappin illustration) that is still among my best work.

One of the incentives to do Warmaster was a nearby club that had this amazing collection stored at one of the guy's relative's house. There was a gas main explosion (made national news) that ruined the collection,  though thankfully no one was harmed. They had every army, painted nicely.

After that, took other paths, collected more, matured to the point where I'm totally fine with the concept of figure-ratios, and now I have a full 25/28mm army for pretty much every Oldhammer faction, and plan to scratch my Warmaster rules itch with fantasy Hail Caesar or rules that draw inspiration from them.

TLDR: Only actually played a handful of games with my Warmaster army, but still have a strong affection for it, and would break it out if I met someone local who played, and get at least a few more units and my WIPs done including that great unclean one. I caution people looking for a shortcut or easy-button, though. 10mm wasn't that for me. Those GW figures are great  but they don't paint themselves any more than 28mm do.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:54:12 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline warchariot

• Bookworm
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
We didn't care for the single unit changing and continuing to drive back/cause damage until it lost or killed the other unit. Like the way Mayhem works with command and fighting.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Fantasy does seem to enjoy more generally agreed-upon rulesets for small scale than sci-fi. Recent research has led me to discover that there aren't many popular options for sci-fi, which is a shame. With an emphasis on shooting one could argue that sci-fi benefits from mass-battle rules for small scale more than does fantasy.