Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bicorne ECW officers  (Read 2520 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bicorne ECW officers
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »
I think the 'inter-action' (conversation) is along the lines of "I thought YOU were bringing the troops!"
Great work, by the way.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Very nice.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
Very smart indeed.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
Super job Shaun. One of my favourite ranges (well, the 80% of it done by Nick Collier anyway - the later stuff added from less talented hands, is not so much to my taste).
Richard, how do Bicorne fit with TAG Rennaisance? Nick Collier did both, I think...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »
Richard, how do Bicorne fit with TAG Rennaisance? Nick Collier did both, I think...

I answered this in a PM the other day, so here's the chapter and verse again...

As far as the Bicorne ECW range goes, yes, the majority of the packs were done by Nick Collier, as were the Renegade ECW range - they are a perfect match and entirely complementary. If anything the Renegade figures are a whisker bigger, although not so as you'd really notice on the tabletop. His later stuff for TAG is in a similar style, but substantially smaller. Like 20% more diminutive. It doesn't go together too well with his work for Bicorne and Renegade. And seems a bit more slapdash somehow. Some of his later work for TAG seems to include a lot of 'bobble-head' figures and stiff poses. His earlier C17th work for Bicorne, Renegade and TAG was much better IMHO.

Unfortunately, for some reason, once Collier had done the majority of the range, Bicorne's then owner (the company has changed hands a couple of times) switched sculptors to (I believe) Alan Marsh, and possibly others to round out the range. The style of these figures is totally different. While Collier's sculpts ooze the right period look and feel, the later additions are much more lumpy and munchkin-like, many with classic wargames-figure-style outsized hands and feet and pumpkin faces. They're not terrible, just not as good, and in quite a different style.

Even more unfortunately there's not really any way of telling from the codes. Most of the lower number codes will be by Collier. Some of the later / higher codes will be by Alan Marsh and others.
I'm sure a few were also done by Mr Hicks. They have those familiar Hicks faces, if you know what I mean... (Sorry Paul! :D)

Certainly many of the personality figures are NOT by Nick Collier, and nor are the charging cavalry figures which were added later, nor some of the artillery crews.
Most of the rank and file pikemen, musketeers, command and cavalry packs ARE by Nick Collier, so too some of the artillery crews.

I see the latest owner has now added pictures to the Bicorne site. Honestly, a close inspection of the photos will show you the difference.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
I agree with what Captain Blood says above, apart from his view that Nick Collier's work for Bicorne / Renegade is superior to his work for TAG. It's a matter of personal taste, and I personally prefer Nick's work for TAG which, in my view, is more correct anatomically. Just a couple of points:

1. it is my understanding that Alan Marsh did make some of the later Bicorne figures and I believe that they are different in size and proportion from the original Collier figures. I also understand that Brian Rigelsford then made some more figures for Bicorne. I had not heard that Paul Hicks had made figures for Bicorne too, but Captain Blood may be right about that. Certainly Bicorne have released figures after Brian Rigelsford seems to have left the hobby, so he can't have been the sculptor; and

2. there is inconsistency within the TAG range, so it is difficult to generalise about them. The infantry figures in boot hose are longer in the thigh and, in my opinion, look better- proportioned, than the original infantry figures. In my view, the musketeer figures in boot hose are beautiful figures - some of Nick Collier's best. However, some of the last figures in the range, such as the mounted colonels, are really quite small.  This isn't the only range of figures I can think of where all the figures are sculpted by the same person but there are height discrepancies. I've even seen that occasionally in Perry ranges. 

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Thank you Richard. Found the time and watched the Bicorn website. Some figures are nice, will fit to the rest of my collection. You are right, some higher numbers looks different. With the big selection of ECW-Figures I don‘t need them. Maybe I order Some packs of the lower numbers.