Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Whitechapel Horror! UD 28/03 - Entire table so far (30 images)  (Read 70725 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Whitechapel Horror! UD 10/11 - LPL entries & building progress
« Reply #285 on: November 10, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Depends who's playing the coppers  lol

Looks great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
Depends who's playing the coppers  lol

Looks great  8)

lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
Their truncheons are dipped in Holy Water  ;) :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
Won’t make a difference if Richard plays them  lol

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »
Won’t make a difference if Richard plays them  lol

lol

Yeah, rolling ones doesn't help very much. lol

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #290 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:48 PM »
Continuing to look good, very impressed with the build, and the figures are lovely I'm very taken with the top hats and general style of it all. Hope to see this in the flesh in maybe 2 or 3 years when you sell it to the Mad Lord ;) Just played on your 1st WW table and it was suitably awesome, very good job of blending the tile edges so they disappear presumably that was teddy bear fur, although it was hard to tell as you had done such a good job of transmuting it into long grass.

The Oshiro buildings are top notch, although I have a thing about the finger joints at the corners, did you think of maybe green stuffing them so they disappear? Just a question not a criticism, building corners are always hard to get right.

I'm very interested in yours and the Oshiro threads on putting high buildings in a small space and accessibility to get your hands in to move figures. I'm intending having a go at 1930's Gangsters in New York, but it might be possible to extend it back to the late 1800's, no research done yet. o_o

Look forward to more. ;D
Cheers

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »
Thanks V  :)

It’s never my plan to sell anything (I think every project is “the one” until it isn’t  ;) :D). I’m glad you enjoyed the WW1 terrain and everything else at the Mad Lords. TBH I can’t think of a better home for it. BTW the grass is teddy bear fur.

Any imprecise  finger jointing on the buildings is (obviously) down to my assembly but I will be adding GS to them as part and parcel of obscuring the slight gaps between the buildings (it being a terrace etc). As regards heights, I’m only going above two levels with the facades (the buildings fully accessible from their rear) as otherwise it’s too fiddly. One also has to remember to leave sufficient access to alleyways and other narrow areas, as without easy access gameplay is only a fraction of what it might be.

I toyed with a New York game (more Gangs of NY than the 1930s) but settled on Whitechapel for various reasons, including that both my wife and me have ancestors who lived there in Victorian times. 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #292 on: November 12, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »
The Oshiro buildings are top notch, although I have a thing about the finger joints at the corners, did you think of maybe green stuffing them so they disappear? Just a question not a criticism, building corners are always hard to get right.

There’s no easy fix for corners without a bit of work. I tried to get a balance between realism and material thickness (never easy for wargaming buildings  lol ). There’s also a bit of material thickness discrepancy which is unavoidable so a bit of filler or gs rubbed in the joints would probably work well  :)

I’m eventually going to do groups of building on pavement plates which will possibly make game play a bit harder but will be more aesthetically pleasin, which is my preference.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #293 on: November 12, 2019, 08:56:00 AM »
There’s no easy fix for corners without a bit of work. I tried to get a balance between realism and material thickness (never easy for wargaming buildings  lol ). There’s also a bit of material thickness discrepancy which is unavoidable so a bit of filler or gs rubbed in the joints would probably work well  :)

I’m eventually going to do groups of building on pavement plates which will possibly make game play a bit harder but will be more aesthetically pleasin, which is my preference.

I totally agree with you about the corners, butt joints are maybe even more obviously wrong so finger joints on brick and stone work is the way to go and I think what you have done with the texturing on the brick work is fantastic.
I saw a really good example of an MDF build, but the guy had taken a dremel and carved the brickwork into the surface, almost as mad as making your buildings from individual bricks lol so I think your method is the future for good looking buildings with less work, some filler to hide the joints a bit and obtain a 100% perfect finish is nothing compared to the alternative.

The pavement plates sound an interesting idea, but then without wishing to appear too much of a sycophant  most of your ideas are interesting.
Cheers

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #294 on: November 12, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
It’s never my plan to sell anything (I think every project is “the one” until it isn’t). I’m glad you enjoyed the WW1 terrain and everything else at the Mad Lords. TBH I can’t think of a better home for it.

If it turns out in later years, not to be "the one", let me have first refusal.  ;)  I would definitely give this superb scenery a loving home! I am really enjoying watching this project develop.

We had a great time playing on your 1914 boards and an AAR will appear in due course on the Great War board.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #295 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
If it turns out in later years, not to be "the one", let me have first refusal.  ;)  I would definitely give this superb scenery a loving home! I am really enjoying watching this project develop.

We had a great time playing on your 1914 boards and an AAR will appear in due course on the Great War board.

lol

Good to hear from you Martin and am glad you’re enjoying the 1914 boards. The photo on your thread of of you and the other two reprobates certainly looked the part.  ;) :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Whitechapel Horror! UD 19/11 - LPL entry & Spitalfields visit
« Reply #296 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
Not much progress to show with the buildings (though is very started on the church) as I’m frantically painting more LPL rounds.

The entry from LPL6 - street toughs from Casting Room Miniatures “Ne'er Do Wells” (VC007).

There’s a sixth mini painted but not pictured. As the two with the lump of wood were identical minis, I converted one by adding a flat cap and beard.

As I had a day out in London last Friday, I took a wander across to Spitalfields Market to take reference photos. Here’s a very small selection, including Christ Church.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Whitechapel Horror! UD 20/11 - Terrain next steps
« Reply #297 on: November 20, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
I’ve started to cut the pieces for the church, though they’ve yet to be stuck together. I’ve done enough to work out the window and door sizes, which are being laser cut for me by OSHIROmodelterrain. I’ve assembled enough to give an idea of how it will dominate the table (the residence adjacent to it will be the Rectory).

OSHIROmt will also be cutting a clock face for me which creates a conundrum: what time to set the hands at?

Btw, there will be 3 more full tiles: two residential and one commercial (with a police station). I’ll probably add a couple more 1/3 depth tiles after that, perhaps one with posher houses, not sure about the other, maybe the edge of a cemetery?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Whitechapel Horror! UD 20/11 - Terrain next steps
« Reply #298 on: November 20, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
Looks very imposing  8)

what time to set the hands at?

What ever time I set them at  ;D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer