Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:09:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686612
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s 28mm Roman Project  (Read 5788 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
AKULA’s 28mm Roman Project
« on: February 03, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
The release of Gangs of Rome finally tipped me over the edge, so I decided to start a thread to keep track of my new project...

I’ve been toying with the idea of a game centred around a small town for some time now, and the multitude of character options now available means that it’s doable for me in a Roman setting. The town will lend itself as a backdrop to all manner of scenarios, but I quite like the idea of a player being put in charge of limited resources and having to deal with all sorts of different problems as governor/town council or similar. At some point I expect I’ll write a set of fast play rules for it, and the basic dynamic might well work for different periods...Old West, modern etc

For now though, my attention will be upon assembling a large cross section of the inhabitants, and building some test pieces of terrain.

With apologies to button counters/budding historians, I’m focusing upon producing some gameable terrain rather than a museum piece, so apologies if my cubiculum or triclinium are in the wrong place...
 ;)

Each terrain board will be based upon a 450mm x 450mm square of 12mm exterior plywood, so they are easy to store/transport and can be interchangeable.  The edges of the tiles are 1mm board, to represent roads, while the raised central area is 3mm, giving me footpaths, and serving as the base of the buildings. The alleyways between the buildings are c2” across so will allow a couple of figures abreast, whereas the roads (when two boards are placed together) will be 2-3” across.  I make the roofs at some point, but they aren’t a priority for a gaming piece.

The first board - 4 houses for the mob rather than the more well todo citizens)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:08:52 PM by AKULA »

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Re: AKULA’s Roman Project
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
That looks very promising!!!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Welcome back and I’m looking forward to more  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Good to see you back fella  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
I fancy doing some thing similar, though on not quite a grand scale.
Having looked at the Sarrissa buildings (& what it would cost to cover even a small area, say 3' x 3')
I am very interested in  building it myself, though I do like their bridge.
Looking forward to your progress.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: AKULA’s 28mm Roman Project
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
Ooh this looks good.  'Sits back with box of popcorn and waits for the spectacle to unfold'.  8)

Great start - looking forward to seeing this come together.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
So are you going for a suburb or all of Rome?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »

This is Akky..... it'll be most of central Italy ;)

Looking forward to how this ends up 8)

What are your initial impressions of GoR, Matt?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
With apologies to button counters/budding historians, I’m focusing upon producing some gameable terrain rather than a museum piece, so apologies if my cubiculum or triclinium are in the wrong place...

Alright then, half an hour wasted on typing… lol

Very good start. Already has a certain Roman flair about it. I will never have the skill to construct nor the space to store something like that, but it's an intriguing concept. Looking forward to the next steps.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
Great start mate!  :o

What are you using to make the flagstones? Are you going to put filler on the outsides of the buildings? Are you not worried about the amount of “stuff” you now have to make for the insides? ;)

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
Great start. :-* :-*
Looking forward to your developments. :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 10:37:14 PM »
Welcome back and I’m looking forward to more  8)

Good to see you back fella  :)

Thanks guys...just trying to get my mojo back...work is about to step up another gear or two, but I think this project will keep me motivated.
 :)

Having looked at the Sarrissa buildings (& what it would cost to cover even a small area, say 3' x 3') I am very interested in  building it myself, though I do like their bridge.

I agree...the Sarrissa buildings are attractive, although they presumably lack any interior detail? The cost per square should be considerably less than a single precut building, although I am v.tempted by the amphitheatre....

Maybe just a more unfashionable backwater of a town...  :D

This is Akky..... it'll be most of central Italy ;)

Looking forward to how this ends up 8)

What are your initial impressions of GoR, Matt?

Hi mate, hope you are well?

:)

You could be right about the scale, I’m already getting some crazy ideas about this one.  My original plan was just for six squares, but I’ve got a new layout in my games room, and could theoretically have two tables each with 12 squares, plus another six on top of some storage space...the latter appeals to me, as it’s slightly higher than the tables so could maybe represent a hill/citadel type area.

Re: Gangs of Rome - I’ve had a quick read through, and it has some concepts I like, such as the random activitation order using pebbles (if you remember I use playing cards in my zombie AR:SE rules for the same reason). I probably won’t use the rules in my own game, as I’m thinking of something more like a mass skirmish...ie hundreds of figures in play... but I can see them working well.

Great start mate!  :o

What are you using to make the flagstones? Are you going to put filler on the outsides of the buildings? Are you not worried about the amount of “stuff” you now have to make for the insides? ;)

Thanks Andy  :)

For the flagstones, I’ve just scored the card and then will try to give a bit more depth when I dry brush.  Figure bases will probably be a mix of milliput and sand, but I wanted something that is quick to produce on a mass scale for the terrain.

Undecided on using filler for the exterior, but it is something I’ve considered...I’m unconvinced that pebble dashing everything will make my gaming more enjoyable, whereas I’m pretty sure it will make the whole build process much more tedious, and so less likely to ever finish. I’ll add some more detail to the exterior, and perhaps score parts to show brickwork underneath the “plaster”.

For the interiors, I will add “stuff” as and when something catches my eye, but with the emphasis on keeping it as a gaming piece...too much clutter and it will make moving the figures difficult, so I may limit it to beds, tables and the like. I’ve got plenty of figures to base, so I expect I can start on making a collection of small items from leftover milliput after each session...at least that’s the plan.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
Always good to see your builds progress mate.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
plus another six on top of some storage space...the latter appeals to me, as it’s slightly higher than the tables so could maybe represent a hill/citadel type area.

Or a volcano?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
Or a volcano?

lol

I did watch Pompeii the other day, but I’ve no plans for a volcano...yet.