Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hybrids and the Non-Lethal Bonus  (Read 2495 times)

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
Hybrids and the Non-Lethal Bonus
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
This nearly killed two of my team last night, and almost wiped my whole team.

I put Hybrids into a Lurker team to mess up my fellow players, and it came back to bite me. Hard.  I was rolling particularly badly in places, as my averages were being horribly skewed.  I'd roll '6's for Ranged attacks to hit the hybrids, which changed to '1's.  I'd roll for jams and roll '1's.  Guns out of action.  Wasted Actions to clear.  With an Agent using two .22s, and 'Shoot'em Up', I'd roll four dice at a time, and then jam up.  Darn.  This was a nuisance, if not frustrating.

That wasn't the worst.  The Lurker player decides getting shot at wasn't in his favour, so he charges into CC.  Now, I'm in a situation where not only am I not hitting, I'm adding bonuses to my opponent.  My Character rolled '6', '6', '1', and my opponent rolled a '6'.  I'm pooched!  He added five to his roll, and I added two, when we include our CCBs.  He had eight chances to beat my Con, and Quelle surprise, manages a few '6's.  A few rounds of CC with this going on, and my Character goes down.

Did we read the rule wrong?  Does the Non-Lethal benefit apply when a creature is obviously trying to eat your face?  It should be apparent to the Threshold figure, in CC, that the Hybrid is not a civilian.

Discussion?

We're all crazy.  It's only a matter of degree.

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
Re: Hybrids and the Non-Lethal Bonus
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
Almost two weeks on the Forum, 50+ views, and no-one wants to voice an opinion, or offer a suggestion?

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:33 AM »
Almost two weeks on the Forum, 50+ views, and no-one wants to voice an opinion, or offer a suggestion?

Sorry man, I had to look it up and forgot...  I have no idea.  To tell the truth, I have never used Hybrids and that rule is the main reason.  I have a hard time rationalizing/balancing that when no such rule exists for Cultists and their ilk that are clearly Human...

I think perhaps keeping the benefit and trying to rationalize the effect in another way would maintain Uncle Mike's balance.  Call it a blessing or something of that sort.  They are pretty weak so without that ability they just plain suck IMO.   ::)

My over-valued 2 cents.
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:01:52 AM »
Sorry man, I had to look it up and forgot...  I have no idea.  To tell the truth, I have never used Hybrids and that rule is the main reason.  I have a hard time rationalizing/balancing that when no such rule exists for Cultists and their ilk that are clearly Human...

I think perhaps keeping the benefit and trying to rationalize the effect in another way would maintain Uncle Mike's balance.  Call it a blessing or something of that sort.  They are pretty weak so without that ability they just plain suck IMO.   ::)

My over-valued 2 cents.

My interpretation of the rule was that, until close enough, or other intent becomes apparent, the Hybrid 'could be' an innocent bystander.  However,  that limitation wasn't clear in the rule, and until the Hybrids were in Close Combat, and all my '1's were now going against me, and killing my team, it was just an interesting mechanic.  It certainly cut down my rate of fire on my Shoot'em Up Agent.  I went from rolling eight dice in a turn to clearing two jams.     

However, once the Hybrid charges into Close Combat, a Threshold Agent isn't wondering any more.  The Hybrid isn't an innocent bystander.  And certainly, the Threshold Agent is now close enough to determine that they are not human.  Again, the rule isn't clear enough, and doesn't provide unambigous direction.  Does the Non-Lethal rule apply if the Hybrid starts shooting at an Agent? Does it apply within 5"?  Does it apply once into Close Combat?  When does the Hybrid loose the bonus, if ever?

I think our group will adopt all of the above as conditions for this rule.  A figure shouldn't be considered an innocent bystander if it is assaulting the Agents, either from a distance or wailing away in Close Combat.

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
Close to third week on the Forum, and no 'Official' comment or response for this?

Should this be in the FAQ to get any attention?

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »
I have found another thread for the introduction of Hybrids.

I am asking this question on that, admittedly very old, thread:
New Lurker For Strange Aeons...Hybrid!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:30:17 AM by OldGuy59 »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »
Close to third week on the Forum, and no 'Official' comment or response for this?

Should this be in the FAQ to get any attention?

I have been neglecting looking at the SA board for a while now as I have been pretty busy elsewhere and have just seen this.

Not an official response, of course, but I am inclined to agree with you and think your suggestion is a good idea.
Having used a fair few Hybrid groups in the past, the rule does seems a little skewed at times and I like your suggestion that CC should negate the bonus. Up that close and personal it should be fairly apparent.

I also think that rule should be ignored once that particular Hybrid shoots at an Agent, thus giving away its not-so-friendly intent.

This way the Hybrid gets the advantage whilst creeping up on the enemy but loses it once 'identified' as a threat.

I hope that helps in some way.
 :)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 11:10:58 PM »
Well, again; my main issue with the ability is that there are other human lurkers that are even more clearly "human" and no similar bonus applies for their use (cultists for example).  Without this ability this lurker is pretty weak IMO.

I just rationalize it as a 'charm' or guile.

It Conquered The World