Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Solo - New trailer page six  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Solo - New trailer page six
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »
Bandai have already got a 1/144 Falcon from the film coming out soon  8)

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/millenniumfalcon_landocalrissian.html

Great; I had to slog through 7 pages of 'It's gonna be great' vs 'It's gonna suck' to see if anyone had already commented on the detachable part between the Falcon's mandibles, as in the Bandai model that OSHIROmodels linked to.

Turns out, nobody did...

So I'm going to; my favorite theory is that it's sort of a connector, allowing YT series ships to attach to large containers, in order to move them:

I mean; as much I have always adored the Millennium Falcon and the Legends fluff behind the YT-1300 and all its derivatives and predecessors, I've always wondered how anyone in their right mind could be able to call these ships  freighters! In the X-Wing and TIE-Fighter PC games, there were plenty of containerships, modular conveyors etc to see how a proper space faring transport should look, volumewise.

After all, even in the SW universe, where spacefaring is as common as atmospheric flight is to us, it makes no sense not optimising transport capacities; space travel may be common, but it still won't be cheap! So having a 25T to 100T internal cargo capacity on a ship with even the power to weight ration of a stock YT-1300 (let's assume there actually is such a thing ;) ) would be incredibly inefficient. I mean; current trucks and trailers are allowed to weigh up to 50T here in the Netherlands, which roughly translates to a cargo capacity of nearly 40T, already more than the lower end of a YT-1300!

Therefore, should a ship of such capabilities be able to push a much larger cargo container, it would make that much more sense.

All of this going with the idea that a ship is a dedicated cargo vessel of course. Should we look at, for instance, a YT-1300P, which is a dedicated personnel transport, things would be different. Living, sentient cargo (I'm going to refrain from using the word 'Human' of course) is much more valuable than bulk cargo and could therefore be transported in such an expensive vessel.

So; in my opinion, if a YT-1300 were actually a self-contained transport ship with no capacity for pushing along larger volumes of cargo, it should be considered a galactic equivalent of a smallish delivery van!

In the Legends universe, there are of course plenty of clues to this, as we only have to look at the YT-2000 or center cockpit versions of the venerable YT-1300, and it's clear that those will never be pushing containers. But then; those could be the 'P' (personnel) versions so often mentioned.

Other theories state that it's either a life pod (there was mention of a pocket-fighter docked between the mandibles in several sources, although it looked more like the Crysalis life pod from Alien. there even was a toy version I believe? I certainly cannot determine any cockpit windows, which seem to be standard in SW ships), an aerodynamic cover to improve atmospheric flight characteristics, something purely cosmetic, giving the ship a sleeker profile (which would fit with Lando's personality), or perhaps a seperate cargo pod (which could explain how Han and Chewie actually ejected Jabba's spice cargo).

What do you think?

+++EDIT+++ Having taken another look at the Bandai kit pre-production pictures, I fear my favorite theory is probably obsolete already: in the few pictures that show the detachable part between the mandibles, one can clearly see engine exhausts on the back of the object.

So it's more than likely a life pod or pocket-fighter after all. my money is on life pod though, because it looks a bit underwhelming as an actual fighter (no weapons, no cockpit)...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:18:16 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
anyway I'll still have to do cosplay for my son

>:( lol lol
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
like it
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »
What do you think?

To me the light freighters from the SW universe were always the equivalent to our (European) universe's white vans...
They have turbo charged 3litre engines with 150+ hp, run faster than most small cars and weigh 3.5tons with a payload of no more than 1.5 to 2 tons.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
To me the light freighters from the SW universe were always the equivalent to our (European) universe's white vans...
They have turbo charged 3litre engines with 150+ hp, run faster than most small cars and weigh 3.5tons with a payload of no more than 1.5 to 2 tons.

Exactly this. Add the deep-space equivelent of wolf-whistling women as they fly past and not indicating before making a turn. ;-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Daeothar thats a interesting theory.
Since the Millenium Falcon is classed as a cargo/transport ship i vote for the containers. :)

Yes Daeothar. I´ve read all your text... :D ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:15:17 PM by rumacara »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
'Oo's dis James, guv?  lol

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Solo
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Deleted. A bit too late to the discussion
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:57:54 PM by Mark Plant »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
 lol lol lol

Daeothar, my apologises.
Corrected.
I was so distracted with some stuff from Oshiro that i ended answering to you but using James name. o_o

But the answer is the same... :D

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
I rather liked the look of that latest trailer.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
lol lol lol

Daeothar, my apologises.
Corrected.
I was so distracted with some stuff from Oshiro that i ended answering to you but using James name. o_o

But the answer is the same... :D

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
James dont laugh.
Your new stuff is tempting/distracting me. ;D lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »
James dont laugh.
Your new stuff is tempting/distracting me. ;D lol

Just buy some then you won't be distracted  anymore  lol

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
Re: Solo
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »

While I don't expect it to be Firefly quality, let be honest - event Serenity wasn't Firefly quality.

I know I'm flying against the grain and pissing uphill into a strong wind (and mixing my phrasing) but I sort of agree. It wasn't firefly quality ... it was better than the series that spawned it.     :p

Also killed off a couple of the major cast so that it couldn't be resurrected (something that should have happened to X-files, too).