Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Campbells Crossing - Devon Wargames Group  (Read 563 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Battle of Campbells Crossing - Devon Wargames Group
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
In this fictitious encounter set in the AWI using British Grenadier rules we had an American garrison defending an arms depot in rebel lines and looking to prevent their capture and destruction by the King's troops.

If you would like to see how the game played together with thoughts about the rules, then just follow the link to the DWG blog.

http://devonwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/the-battle-of-campbells-crossing-awi.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battle of Campbells Crossing - Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »
Looked like a good game.

The one issue quite a few players have with British Grenadier as a ruleset is that they are not easy to pick up and use right from the start, and it is best to have someone on hand who has played them before (either as umpire, or one per side if there are two of them).  Stick with them, though, and you will find that as you become more familiar with them, they become more "user friendly".  Another advantage is that you can use them at various figure:man ratios - we've used them from 1:20 down to 1:5.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Campbells Crossing - Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
That is one of the best after action reports of a game I've ever seen assembled with an excellent balance between text and photos (and well captioned photos that enhance the text rather than duplicate it).  Then you add in a well-reasoned response to a first-time encounter with a set of rules.

You point up the reasons why I haven't tried British Grenadier - and don't have any plans to do so.  And, yes, to the rule's fans, I've already heard it and, no, you aren't likely to change my mind.  But keep playing them if they work for you.

I lean on Guns of Liberty by Eric Burgess as my go to AWI rules, for now.  Looking forward to his 3rd edition (which I need to check if are out yet, now that I think of it).

Battles didn't happen in sections but simultaneously and I want that from my rules - especially because to my mind such rules give a better flow to the game - and I want a good game first over an accurate tactical game, though the latter does matter to a high degree.  Just fun and playable is the first priority.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:36:36 AM by FifteensAway »