Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Page layout of new forum  (Read 2210 times)

Offline ork56

• Librarian
Page layout of new forum
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »
Is there a way that I can reduce the width of the 'user' column and the 'author' column that are on the left of the page?

They take up room which means the body of people's posts don't show without side-scrolling

Thanks

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Page layout of new forum
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
I don’t have that problem on iPad, but if you use the little black button to the right above the ‘previous next’ line* you can switch the left hand column on and off to give you a wider thread column.

*Or above Mak/Read depending on which screen you are looking at.

Edit: and the Professor has a screenshot of the button location half way down here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107327.45
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:11:04 PM by levied troop »
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Where's a 'thumbs up' emoji when you need it!  lol

Thanks SO much!

Doug

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:00:00 PM »
I mostly surf on an iPad Pro and the new layout is like a 3 column affair that offers about 50% less viewing width in the main body of posts. This means that most of the glorious pictures I come to LAF for are now cut off and have to be scrolled horizontally. Big usability downgrade in my opinion. Ok. I will close the user column but the new site owner should look into a better responsive design or go back to the old layout IMHO.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »
To be honest I often found the same problem with the old layout as well. Larger pictures didn't fit on my screen and I had to scroll across to see them fully.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
To be honest I often found the same problem with the old layout as well. Larger pictures didn't fit on my screen and I had to scroll across to see them fully.

Yes, but it is far worse now. Even images which used to fit now run off screen even on high resolution HD monitors.

Simplest global option would be a force resize on images (individual users should really crop and resize the images themselves prior to posting.......but few do).

Offline Red Leg

• Schoolboy
  • Budo Anderfrogle lives
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »
I don’t have that problem on iPad, but if you use the little black button to the right above the ‘previous next’ line* you can switch the left hand column on and off to give you a wider thread column.

*Or above Mak/Read depending on which screen you are looking at.

Edit: and the Professor has a screenshot of the button location half way down here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107327.45
   OH YOU ROCK!!!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:58:48 AM »

;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
Yes, but it is far worse now. Even images which used to fit now run off screen even on high resolution HD monitors.

Throw in the left/right scroll bar may be at the bottom of a post with a heck of a lot of photos, and the worse becomes, well, in two words, in tolerable...  ;D

I assume the change in forum formatting may seem trivial, but it's had a jarring effect. I just feel a cad for complaining on the continuation of this noble effort.

However, the twisty pointer, which I SHOULD have figured out, has made things more satisfying, indeed.

And, 'ROCK' indeed!

Doug

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
Yes the layout has definately changed with more space taken up by the stuff at the left hand side.

The tip about the black arrow thing is great - never realised that is what it does (or even really noticed for that matter).

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
;)

Thank you so much, Levied Troop and dinohunterpoa.  :)  This is quite brilliant.  I had no idea about this and it immediately improves my experience on LAF. 

I wonder if it would be worthwhile making a "reminder" about this, cross posted to all the main boards?  The reason I suggest this is because I personally have only the WWII board bookmarked and go directly to it when I come to LAF.  I expect there might be others like me?
--
Tim

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Can the "left side column" default be set to hidden rather than visible (so the clicky icon works to display it not hide it).
When not logged in (which is how I mainly view LAF) it is a real pain having to reset that everytime you click back to the main menu or into a new forum category.
It takes up too much space.

Also what is being done to address the issue of images not fitting into the topic post area anymore?

Will members get back the ability to delete their own posts in the sale/wanted section or is that now a moderator only function?

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 02:12:42 AM »
Yes the layout has definately changed with more space taken up by the stuff at the left hand side.

The tip about the black arrow thing is great - never realised that is what it does (or even really noticed for that matter).

I didn’t figure that out either, the site is much better now.

I think part of the problem is that the page margins on the sides are much wider than on the old site. If those were 1/4 the width we would have a lot more content on the screen.