Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 794
Total: 799

Recent

Author Topic: TMP relevance passing  (Read 3145 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: TMP relevance passing
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
Forum wars benefit nobody.

if at least there were some nice lead forums  ;D
I would prefer 15mm...

PS: sorry for the additional thread bump
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
I wish people wouldn't come here to moan about other forums. It really isn't our way, and never has been. We've had waves of refugees from TMP over the years, and a fair few of them have tried to set up forward base camps in LAF territory from which to wage a guerilla war. It isn't appreciated.

If anyone has a beef with TMP I would suggest taking it up with Mr. Armintrout on his site and leaving LAF out of it. Forum wars benefit nobody.

I am a TMP refugee. I haven't come here to wage guerilla war against TMP. I do have a beef with Mr. Armintrout, though, which I can't take up with him because my account has been locked and the only interlocutor is a woman that has a vendetta against me because I refused to apologize for defending myself from a xenophobic bigot. I have given my opinion and that is the end of the matter. I have nothing else to say nor I think I need to apologize to you or to anybody by expressing what I think about the subject.

This, by the way, is the last post in which I will refer or mention TMP in LAF or anywhere else. You can relax. At least from me you won't have to worry about being involved in a Forum War.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
This is a General war games discussion board .
We must be allowed to discuss all things about the hobby  in a dignified manor and not have censorship.
We should be proud that this forum allows us as long as we are fair , honest and polite.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
Well, I wouldn’t know, all I can say is that years ago a guy in TMP posted me a load of old 3rd Edition Dark Eldar characters for free when I mentioned they were hard to find. So I can’t fault it. Probably haven’t visited for 9 years though  lol

(And the point being there are good people everywhere)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »

I’m wondering if "TMP relevance is passing" or if it’s just a slower period for the Hobby as a whole… :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:55:39 AM »
I doubt it, the sheer volume of Facebook groups and the volume of posts to them would suggest quite the opposite.

If you look at posts here and on various blogs, many are simply the very random 'look what I did' and +1 responses that Facebook does effortlessly. Blink and they are gone, subsumed by a series of similar posts. It's almost instant gratification for the egomaniac.

What Facebook can't do is link topics in a coherent serialised narrative like the numerous project and 'build something' threads here, and their accompanying discussion.

FB is far less searchable too, try finding that half-remembered project in the FB 'stream of consciousness.

We are in a time of change, where the 'show and tell' posters are finding their niche with Facebook and the 'circle time' guys are sticking to forums. Forums that had a heavy proportion of the former have naturally suffered from this change.

We must be allowed to discuss all things about the hobby  in a dignified manor and not have censorship.

'Must'? It's a private forum with a published set of rules and moderators appointed to enforce them. What you post and whether it is censored or deleted, is at the whim of the owner and his lackeys.

Thankfully our dictators have been benevolent, the rules relatively few, the members mostly self-policing and the moderators fairly laid-back.

Something to be proud of certainly, but don't mistake it for 'having rights' or 'freedom of speech'.

;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »
Forums have their own culture. LAF's has always been about members inspiring each other by posting their projects, and exchanging knowledge for the benefit of everyone. It has not generally been about bringing in grudges from outside, or sitting around moaning about things, or bringing strife to the boards.

You can try and change that culture if you want, if you "must."  You'll be taking the first steps in making LAF more like the place you came here to complain about. Thanks.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Forums have their own culture. LAF's has always been about members inspiring each other by posting their projects, and exchanging knowledge for the benefit of everyone. It has not generally been about bringing in grudges from outside, or sitting around moaning about things, or bringing strife to the boards.

Quite.  :)

I’ve always thought of LAF as being about creativity. Never occurred to me that some might imagine it as a platform for free speech.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Personally I don't like to see threads attacking other forums. It's just my opinion, not policy, but I don't see the benefit of Bill visiting here and seeing his TMP being bad mouthed, any more than I'd like to see people criticising our forum there. Let's not stifle conversation, but maybe not have posts titled with other forums names from now on?