Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55302 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Masters of the Universe - Well of Evil Spirits (update 12/08)
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
That is a cracking paintjob on the Well.
It really does look like the 'stone' in the filmation.
 :-* :-*

It is also a cracking bit of scenery that I could certainly use myself.
Which kit is it from?
 ???

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
Not sure what it's called, but it's the base for a tower that has some massive skulls around the sides of the middle section.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
Not sure what it's called, but it's the base for a tower that has some massive skulls around the sides of the middle section.

Thanks, mate.
I think I know the one.
 :D

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »
I think it's this one:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Cheers!
I thought so.
I think it is called Skullvane Manse or somesuch, which sounds like it should be in the MotU setting with a moniker like that anyway...
 ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
Well, well well, what have we here?

Something excellent. I never was a fan of that MOTU stuff back in the day, but your rendition of all this is oh so splendid.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
This thread goes from awesome to awesome-er. lol

The Well of Evil Spirits looks pretty spot on for the setting.  Maybe this is where the Spirit of Greyskull came from? In a misguided effort to bring all the power on Eternia onto the side of good King Greyskull tried, and failed, to master the Well? Doesn't really fit with established canon, but works for the terrain piece.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the Character Compendium.  I will be snapping that up presently...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Amazing work! Really incredible how you have recreated those characters and that setting so well. I am a bit of a Skeletor fan, I will admit.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »
Cheers!
I thought so.
I think it is called Skullvane Manse or somesuch, which sounds like it should be in the MotU setting with a moniker like that anyway...

Not that one. Skullvane Manse does seem to incorporate parts of that tower, but not the base that I used here.

This thread goes from awesome to awesome-er. lol

The Well of Evil Spirits looks pretty spot on for the setting.  Maybe this is where the Spirit of Greyskull came from? In a misguided effort to bring all the power on Eternia onto the side of good King Greyskull tried, and failed, to master the Well? Doesn't really fit with established canon, but works for the terrain piece.

Thanks. I like that explanation and was thinking earlier today that the green spirits made me think of the spirit of Greyskull.

Amazing work! Really incredible how you have recreated those characters and that setting so well. I am a bit of a Skeletor fan, I will admit.

Thanks! I'm a bit of a Skeletor fan too. I only did the painting and some minor conversions. Most of the credit goes to the sculptors and the people who commissioned them.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
I don't know anyone who's heard of He-Man who doesn't like Skeletor at least a little.  ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
Lovely work.

Not that one. Skullvane Manse does seem to incorporate parts of that tower, but not the base that I used here.

Looks like the bottom layer of the Dreadstone Blight kit, sadly OOP at the moment.  The Skullvane Manse has been re-named the Warscryer Citadel, and is on GW's site under the "last chance to buy" section of the "new & exclusive" category.  GW's on a terrain kick lately and there's some hope we'll see the Blight kit back someday, albeit likely under another name.

I don't know anyone who's heard of He-Man who doesn't like Skeletor at least a little.  ;)

Well, presumably Prince Adam and friends aren't big fans of Old Bonehead, and Hordak's definitely a non-fan.  :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:20:50 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Looks like the bottom layer of the Dreadstone Blight kit, sadly OOP at the moment.  The Skullvane Manse has been re-named the Warscryer Citadel, and is on GW's site under the "last chance to buy" section of the "new & exclusive" category.  GW's on a terrain kick lately and there's some hope we'll see the Blight kit back someday, albeit likely under another name.

I have to say that I really do like the 'fantasy' scenery stuff that GW are making these days. I have my eye on quite a few sets and will be picking them up over time. Not for AoS, but purley for making stuff out of them that I want to.
I will have to pay more attention to the various sections that they break down to as well after seeing this.
 :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
This thread is insanely good!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
I have to say that I really do like the 'fantasy' scenery stuff that GW are making these days. I have my eye on quite a few sets and will be picking them up over time. Not for AoS, but purley for making stuff out of them that I want to.
I will have to pay more attention to the various sections that they break down to as well after seeing this.
 :)

The newer stuff is well made and I like the aesthetics of almost everything, but it is a little pricey IMO.  OTOH, it certainly does lend itself to use outside their games, and if anything the scifi terrain kits are even better for that.  While I'm not the biggest fan of Age of Sigmar, the way each faction is getting a unique scenery piece as they get new army books is pretty cool and adds a lot of options that wouldn't work as part of a "generic" range.  Some of the "Endless Spells" are also quite neat as weird bits of arcane scenery or traps, and they're doing the same "each faction gets a box of specific ones" trick there like they did with the scenery.  GW will never be known for being cheap, but when you're cherry-picking what you want rather than buying to build an army for their games they start looking much more appealing.