Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55313 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Masters of the Universe - Mumm-Ra added (Thundercats) (update 31/1)
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »
Expanding the 30mm scale MotU project with Thundercats characters (after all, it's canon now), starting with the powered up Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living!
https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2021/01/mumm-ra-mutants-mumm-ra-ever-living.html

Mumm-Ra is the main antagonist of the ThunderCats and, like Skeletor, a powerful sorceror. The Thundercats are the only thing standing in his way of ruling Third Earth with evil. His normal appearance is that of a weakened, withered mummy. He serves as the undead focus for the Ancient Spirits of Evil—four god-like entities of nearly unlimited power, whose influence is limited to the Black Pyramids, so that they can only interact with the outside world through Mumm-Ra. They provide him with immortality, as granted through his sarcophagus in exchange for perpetual servitude. He can call upon them to alter his form by reciting the following incantation: "Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!", transforming him into a tall, muscular fiend.

A recent DC comic miniseries saw the heroes and fiends of Third Earth crossover into Eternia, with Skeletor and Mumm-Ra joining forces and the Thundercats teaming up with the Heroic warriors to defeat them. Hence, I'm feeling there is enough basis to include them into this project and the powered up Mumm-Ra is the first one to join.

The model was a limited edition 'not' Mumm-Ra tribute, which was further converted by my friend Fancagne Didier to perfectly match the original cartoon's fiend's appearance. Being a big fellow, he has a larger base than the other figures.

To illustrate the size, and as I haven't painted any Thundercats yet, Mumm-Ra is show here with another great evil, King Hiss.

He may seem big, but that is the appropriate size as Mumm-Ra, in his Ever-Living form, was much larger than anyone else, which as a kid bothered me immensely since I had gotten used to MotU's everyone-comes-from-the-same-mould approach.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
As far as villains go I do like Mumm-Ra. He reminds me of Skeletor, with his quirky minions. Great job bringing him to life!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »
Thanks, he came out reasonably well.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
Some very smooth painting. Love 'em.
Got a few ot the He-Man pre-kickstarter sculpts by Archon, can't wait until that KS launches off.
Sweet old memories  :)
Leadhead

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
My parents never could afford to buy me the action toys back in the day, but there were free comics for advertising them in the shop which I grapped and read to my younger brother. Your paintjobs are much better than the toys were, at least they do not look like plastic!  lol

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2021, 07:21:21 PM »
Thanks! Nostalgia all the way for this.

Offline Elder Days

• Student
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
Any rule systems in mind?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #307 on: June 05, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
I certainly have that transformation scene etched into my brain :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Mumm-Ra & the Mutants - Mumm-Ra Weakened Form

While the previous update showed Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living in all his power, Mumm-Ra most commonly takes on a more weakened form, where he is a mere husk of his former self. It is only when he calls upon the power of the Ancient Spirits of Evil that he is turned from his wretched state into the powerhouse that is Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living...

Like the previous version, Mumm-Ra in his weakened form was a limited edition tribute figure that came in a set with the other one.

And a side by side of both versions of Mumm-Ra:

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Loving it!

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
wow those look amazing,

Brings back memories of my youth spent watching those cartoons

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
On the plus side, he does get senior citizen discounts when he's not powered up.  :)

Lovely brushwork as always.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Looks good...

One other thing you might like a heads up, the various Dollar Tree's now have a set of 5 He-Man figures available that look like they'd be the right size, and there's a few rumors about another set coming "soon" as well. The current ones are He-Man, Man-At-Arm, Orko, Skeletor, and Mer-Man.

There was only 1 of each, and I'd stopped to get something for my cousins kid as a birthday thing, and decided to give him those, the sculpts looked rather good, though they'd look a lot better with some paint. Slightly oversized, but would make for some great statuary if to large for what you would want.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Thanks folks!

One other thing you might like a heads up, the various Dollar Tree's now have a set of 5 He-Man figures available that look like they'd be the right size, and there's a few rumors about another set coming "soon" as well. The current ones are He-Man, Man-At-Arm, Orko, Skeletor, and Mer-Man.

I think I saw pictures of them, but I was under the impression they were closer to 50mm?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
The size of the figures seems to be not that much more than the 32mm ones I've had.

The same maker of them made other figures that I'd used in D&D games with some repaints...mainly the Street Fighter line since I needed a monk and some of the wrestlers with minor conversion work.