Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3d scanning and printing Pike & Shot miniatures  (Read 1300 times)

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
3d scanning and printing Pike & Shot miniatures
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Hi all,

In an earlier post, destroyed by photobucket, some of us were talking about using a 3D dentist's Scanner to scan miniatures and then print them... We talked about 1/72 miniatures and the posibility to enlarge them using that technology... Well the trials have concluded and they have been a complete success, here in my blog you can see the whole process, I hope you like it.

EDIT: Blog link removed as for legal reasons, this forum cannot be seen to be endorsing or republishing encouragement to IPR infringement.

By the way, I know there is a thin line between legal and illegal in this kind of matters, so please note this is only for personal use, and even for innovation purposes, Imho, these things make the hobby advance.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:36:47 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: 3d scanning and printing Pike & Shot miniatures
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
They look good.

But consider, if you friend is doing this for you to paint and use the miniatures it is not his "personal use. So even here in Spain he is breaching copyright and the legal protection given to intellectual property in the EU. GW still own the rights to that Goblin even if they currently choose not to cast it, something being currently OOP does not mean it is copyright free.

Unless the law on intellectual property is changed (or we accept the Chinese commercial view that intellectual property/copyright does not exist) this type of thing can never be offered as a 3rd party service.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
Of course Robh, We chose those miniatures just because they were available for us to test them, and because they are simply enough. He has absolutely no intention of sell anything, but we can do as many experiments as we desire.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
...... but we can do as many experiments as we desire....

No, we means what you are doing is not "personal use". If he owned the figure he can do the copying with his machines and his time, but you cannot be involved. As soon as you become involved and give him the source figures and take the prints from him he is no longer doing it for himself.

This is why "scan and print" of existing commercial products cannot be a commercial service under our current legal situation regarding copyright and intellectual property.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:07:26 AM »
Not sure about Spanish law but in the UK this is completely illegal. Also, in my opinion, hardly an innocent action or “for the good of the hobby”. In fact surely quite the opposite? Let me explain....

Designing and producing figures costs the manufacturiwrs a lot of time and money. Bringing any new figure to market is s commercial risk. We need these manufacturers (and sculptors) to keep pushing the boundaries to give us a wide range of figures/ periods to play in. Why should they do this if you when simply  “pirate” their figures? I would strongly urge you not to go down this route.
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:41:13 AM »
Admin Post:

There is absolutely no question that what you are doing there is illegal, as most of those figures are owned and available from their respective companies. Some are even made by the company that owns this forum...
As an experiment it is rather interesting and if you were taking a new sculpt and turning it into a digital version which was then altered and reprinted for variety it would be of importance to the hobby. However you clearly state in your blog that you intend to keep printing the figures and that once painted you won’t be able to tell the difference. There is no possible way that can fall under the ‘fair use’ element of ip law.
I’m locking this thread as you’ve already had a negative reaction and it can only get worse really. The relevant Mod will decide what happens to it.
So many projects..... so little time.......