Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 520
Total: 525

Recent

Author Topic: Living in Interesting Times  (Read 34674 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Living in Interesting Times
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
Answering all the PMs I've been receiving concerning the new direction this forum is taking, all I have to say is that I'm a LAF member since 2007, and I've NEVER EVER seen this kind of things happening!  :o

But I think that commercial-oriented right-wing fanboys are a world phenomena in all areas of human activity nowadays...  Sad, but true...  :(   So the "we're closed to all dialog for reason of the common good" are harsh words being said worldwide, not only here at our dear LAF. 

And how this affects our hobby as a whole? What dangers lie ahead? And what rewards? 

What about the plastic gnomes and the unicorn cavalry that have been prophecized?

The old Chinese used to say as a polite curse: "May you live in interesting times"... So if this time has really arrived, where are we going from here?

Time will tell, some of fellow LAFers have told me.

And time is said to heal all wounds...   :)

In the meanwhile, enjoy the beach, use lots of sunblock and thanks for all the fish!  ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:19:25 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Living in Interesting Times
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
 ???

Bit too cryptic for me.

What's going on?

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »

What's going on?

THAT'S the question everyone is asking!

But as the same old Chinese also used to say: "It's far more important to understand the questions than knowing the answers!"   ;)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
What? I don't even understand the questions.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
Just read another thread and it's a bit clearer now.

Countdown to thread lock begins.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
Short answer:

The forum administration and moderation unanimously agreed to ban a user following a near decade of constant abuse, personal attacks on users and moderators, constant public misbehaviour and attempts to derail topical discussions and other violations of the forum guidelines/rules. This was one of three bans over the course of 12 years of LAF.

Some people, without being personally involved and having no justifiable interest apparently are taking this as an opportunity to launch a smear campaign that LAF is now a fascist den of censorship and capitalist agendae, which we strongly refute as an insult to all members and the moderation team.

This is a forum dedicated to the gaming and modelling aspects of the hobby, and off-limits to political or personal agendae, something which may have become less prevalently known or taken for granted and thus not actively reinforced over the last few years.

Long version may follow. I shall not dance to their fiddle and lock this thread, but the gentlemen involved should better take a good breather and calm down before making further ill-informed accusations.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
I don't see a problem, I actually like a forum to be properly moderated and moderation described as some as heavy handed is never likely to be to my own detriment, then again, I'm not the sort of poster who steps over that line.

The moderation I am seeing is just giving an emphasis on being polite, which seems both right and fair to me. It should be a friendly place to visit.

As with all forums, often it is the 'same old' names that seem to haunt forums as their outlet for needling etc, if their presence is curtailed - good. A bit more posting about painting, modelling and wargaming is perhaps a better way to make LAF a stronger community.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
We are "users" not "owners" of LAF. If an individual does not like the way it is run, then don't use it!

Personally I have found LAF to be a veritable island paradise amid a sea of online wargaming arseholes. It is one of the few forums that I still visit on a daily basis, so please, keep the conspiracy theories where they belong!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »
We are "users" not "owners" of LAF. If an individual does not like the way it is run, then don't use it!

Personally I have found LAF to be a veritable island paradise amid a sea of online wargaming arseholes. It is one of the few forums that I still visit on a daily basis, so please, keep the conspiracy theories where they belong!

Well put it is all getting a bit angst around here at the moment, haven't a clue what this thread relates to but would put a shiny Ł5 on who it may be relating to :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
lol lol

Cant see anyone taking you up on that bet!
 ;D ;D

Just taken a shufty and yup I was right ;D

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
I rarely engage in 'debates' like this. But to give it another perspective:
I recently resigned from moderating the Ancients board. It is a very calm and pleasant place, yet as a team member I was exposed to the continuous nagging as well as all kinds of abuses and general nastiness that LAF's mods and admins have to deal with collectively. In the ongoing internal discussions it comes up every day. Ultimately it affected my enthusiasm for the hobby itself. I took the job as a favour to Alex, and so the changeover was not the reason but an opportunity to step down and finally catch my breath.

So, if you take this place and its atmosphere for granted, I call to your attention the work and endurance required to keep it up. If you normally encounter nothing (overly) offensive, bear in mind the importance of rules and a well-functioning team taking swift action. And if you think that there's some hidden, evil agenda to change this place, better remember that it's actually down to your own and every member's contribution to keep LAF a comfortable and pleasant place, even if just by condign restraint.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:10:00 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »
Answering all the PMs I've been receiving concerning the new direction this forum is taking, all I have to say is that I'm a LAF member since 2007, and I've NEVER EVER seen this kind of things happening!  :o

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Moderating a forum is not easy. Since the transfer I have seen one debatable (not wrong, mind you, but debatable) lock, one "No one makes you come here" response (which is not often a strong retort) and one ban of someone who probably had that coming for a long time.

So the moderators are apparently not infallible (go figure...) but I am still enjoying the view, discussions and general atmosphere and don't see a conspiracy evolving thus far, nor any deterioration of Forum moderation.

I say let's give the new management some time to settle in.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 03:43:27 PM »
I'd echo Mad Doc Morris's words, what makes a forum enjoyable is the posts made by the members. It's up to you guys to make LAF what it is.
The Prof. asked me to take over LAF, and I told him that I didn't intend to change fundamentally what it is, and I meant it.

Really, the only change has been the ownership. The moderators are the gang who've been here all along. I've not given them a list of instructions to follow. So the accusations at the head of this thread I presume are all directed at me.

Think I'm far too old to be called a boy anymore.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
And also the only reason that I signed up in the first place.
 ;)
+1
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

But I think that commercial-oriented right-wing fanboys are a world phenomena in all areas of human activity nowadays...  Sad, but true...  :(   So the "we're closed to all dialog for reason of the common good" are harsh words being said worldwide, not only here at our dear LAF. 

And how this affects our hobby as a whole? What dangers lie ahead? And what rewards? 

What about the plastic gnomes and the unicorn cavalry that have been prophecized?

The old Chinese used to say as a polite curse: "May you live in interesting times"... So if this time has really arrived, where are we going from here?

Time will tell, some of fellow LAFers have told me.

And time is said to heal all wounds...   :)

In the meanwhile, enjoy the beach, use lots of sunblock and thanks for all the fish!  ;)

As an on-and-off-and-on-again moderator on this forum I suppose I am one of these "commercial-oriented right-wing fanboys" you are talking about. Well how do you do to you to!

You do not seem to get that the reason you, as you say, have ever-never seen someone banned from this forum is because the admin and moderators have wanted to keep it that way. It is *not* by chance. As long as members just effing enjoy what this forum is really about, like showcasing stonking paintjobs, posting cool builds, helping each other out with their respective projects *all in the same friendly manner as we usually do*, I am sure we will not see anyone banned again.